• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lop head moving side to side/scanning

rachdee

New Kit
Hi - my mini lop Hamish had what we believe was E-cuniculi when he was just 4 months old. Within a few minutes he started to lose his balance, then was falling over and panicking (thought he was fitting but wasn't). Anyway, got him to vets, dosed with Panacur and within 7 hours was just about back to normal.

He hadn't had any further symptoms from this until October just gone when he was almost 5 years old. The symptoms were that his head was moving side to side, not head tilt but just to the side then he would pull it back to looking in front again.

Got him into vets and they said it was a flare of the EC and he was on Panacur for 28 days. All settled down within a couple of days but he is now having spells of head moving again even though he has been on Panacur for the last 5 days.

I'm not actually convinced that this is EC flaring tbh. I've been looking online and came across scanning which after watching a video is exactly what Hamish does.

Reading about this it makes more sense to me that this is what is bothering H, I have always thought that his eyesight was not as it should be.

So really my questions are, can EC cause these symptoms? Is it likely that EC is flaring or that maybe his vision was damaged by the first episode and he is now scanning.

Regarding his first episode, is it likely that he would have been symptom free within a few hours of Panacur if it was EC? That day he had been charging about and he slid on the wooden floor and went headfirst into the wall. Could it have been related to that?

Sorry for the long post and many questions :D, it's just that this is baffling me.

Sorry to hear about Hamish's health issues. Is he a REW bunny? I ask because many bunnies with red eyes scan - its because the cones in their eyes are abnormally lined up. My REW bunny scans (or did before she went blind) - it would be evident more when she was in a new environment. Scanning is different to nystagmus which is the sudden, rapid & involuntary movements (can be horisontal or vertical) asociated with the vestibular damage of EC.

EC flare ups are not unusual & more likely when bunny is under physcal or emotional distress (change of environment, illness, bereavement, even travel).

I honestly don't know how long panacur would take to work in best case scenario. My buns nystagmus stopped very soon after but other symptoms like rolling continued for ages. EC can affect so many things & its not always obvious. Another bun of mine is assumed EC positive as went blind with EC related uveitis .

There are tests for EC but they are not 100% but could be useful.

Thanks for the reply - sorry to hear that your bun went blind :(

He is a beige mini lop (brown eyes). Hamish did have nystagmus in October - it was horizontal. As well as Panacur he also had antibiotics in case of infection and Metacam for a few days.

We did actually move house at the beginning of October so it was a period of considerable stress for him. We thought that was probably why he had a flare of EC (if it was that)

I don't understand why he is doing the head thing again now though.

I know that EC can lie dormant and reactivate at times. What I'm not sure about is whether every time symptoms resurface, it is EC becoming active? Or could it be nerve damage/inflammation that causes the symptoms to flare?

Panacur does not cure EC per sai, it just reduces the amount of EC spores circulating in the Rabbits bloodstream. One dose of Panacur would not account for a ‘recovery’ within just a few hours

Without diagnostics - PCR blood test for EC, full blood profile, Skull radiographs/ CT scans it impossible to say what may be going on .

Can you post a video of what your Rabbit does ?

If you are on Facebook this group may be useful to join https://www.facebook.com/groups/162111977306100

I fast forwarded the vid because the guy in it is a meat rabbit breeder,all those buns behind him in cages .😟 However it did show someone else's vid regards scanning.

I fast forwarded the vid because the guy in it is a meat rabbit breeder,all those buns behind him in cages .😟 However it did show someone else's vid regards scanning.

Yes I realised that after I watched the whole thing:( I do apologise if I've offended anyone - it was a video that I found a link to on a thread on this forum.

I'm a vegan myself so it is actually offensive to me tbh - but I just wanted to show what Hamish does

Yes I realised that after I watched the whole thing:( I do apologise if I've offended anyone - it was a video that I found a link to on a thread on this forum.

I'm a vegan myself so it is actually offensive to me tbh - but I just wanted to show what Hamish does

No not offended,just moved it on quickly.🙂

Hi - I'm adding to this thread although it is a few months old, hope that's ok.

I've managed to get a video of Hamish doing his head thing. He had been fine for a while but started again a few weeks ago.

We took him to the vets and have him on Panacur, Metacam and Emeprid. He has some antibiotics in case it is an ear infection but he just won't take it. It's Sulfatrim and I guess it tastes bad.

The vet wasn't convinced that it was EC either. She said that he has the start of some cataracts and also that his response to the menace test wasn't good.

The last few days he's been really good - he had a bad day last week then was fine again. Now today his head is going again. He's still happy and eating.

Here's the video - would be really grateful if someone could give me some advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFJqEbE2G4

Thanks, Rachel

Back