Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: some help re wife bun for Leo

Default Re: some help re wife bun for Leo

Whilst I am still very much still grieving over the sudden loss of Lillian, itís important that we can allow Leo to move on and have rabbit companionship again for his own emotional and physical well-being. So I need to put my feelings aside as best I can and try to look forward for leo.
    Obviously itís a bit tricky with covid and many places are restricting how far one can travel but we have found a rescue centre called PACT in Norfolk - just over an hour away.
    They have 3 does which weíve looked at on the site - carrots, cottontail and flopsey and although younger than Leo, all seem to have the temprement and qualities we feel would support Leo.
    Would you please like to share your views for me please on the bunnies.
    All 3 are little sweethearts and Iíd have all if I could, but we can only accommodate one abd id just like your unbiased views please.
    Out of the three, one is calling to me but Iíll let you know which one that is.
    Thank you all
    Craig x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

It really shows how much you care about Leo that you're looking for a friend for him while you're still grieving Lillian's loss so deeply. I looked the bunnies up on the website, and, aw, all three sound very sweet, like you said. Would you take Leo with you to the rescue? If so, I'd go with the bunny Leo likes best.

I know it's so hard to start considering this before you feel ready but knowing that it's what Leo needs.

They all look lovely but Carrots looks like she might help Leo feel a little less lost and distract him with her antics.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Warren Veteran

It's difficult as Carrots is the one who has the most written about her so, to me, she seems the most 'real'. I think any of them would be a good wife for Leo and whoever you choose will be an incredibly lucky bunny as you have such a wonderful home. It sounds like Carrot has had a home that wasn't so great and would really appreciate the space that she would have with you but that could be the case with the other two, we just haven't been made aware of that.

So, I've been no help at all - sorry

Now - here’s the thing - and you are not going to believe me but this is true.
    I said I would say which bunny I felt I was leaning towards but I was/am wary because it then implies the other 2 aren’t suitable - which is certainly not the case.
    But when I looked at those bunnies, carrots was the one that lept out at me. I don’t know why that is the case - maybe it is because she has the most written but also I feel quite emotional about her background - small cage etc.
    And so far she seems to have captured others above. Which is quite fascinating given we’re all from different backgrounds but for whatever reason we are drawn towards very similar views.
    Thank you for taking the time to look at those rabbits and responding.
    I shall update as we go along.
    What I would add is that if we were fortunate enough, I feel I would wish to change the name - not something I’ve ever done before.
    Thank you all again
    Craig xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

I think as Rhianna has said, Carrots is the one who has the most written about her and so I think that's the reason that people feel drawn more towards her. Perhaps you should ask for more details about the other two and then you would be sort of comparing like with like.

I would try to consider health implications and perhaps as someone not emotionally involved I can think of that. I would try to select a rabbit who is a good hay eater, so that Leo can perhaps be persuaded to copy. If Carrots has had a poor diet she might have issues because of that, particularly teeth as she is a lop. Also being in a small cage, she might develop Arthritis earlier. Not trying to look on the negative side, but I know when you are looking for a new bunny, it's sometimes easy to not consider such things.

I don't know whether you want another lop, but I had a look at the Eastwood site (Wendy) and they have Cybil, an uppy-eared bunny

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    It really shows how much you care about Leo that you're looking for a friend for him while you're still grieving Lillian's loss so deeply. I looked the bunnies up on the website, and, aw, all three sound very sweet, like you said. Would you take Leo with you to the rescue? If so, I'd go with the bunny Leo likes best.

its really nice to hear someone other than me suggesting this I am a huge fan

I agree with what others have said, maybe let Leo have the choice, if that's possible. Good luck Craig, you have such a big heart xxx

Warren Scout

I'd agree with letting Leo choose as far as possible - but I also like the points made to choose a bunny with good habits and hopefully good health especially given the last couple of years. Whilst heart strings tug, it would be good for you to perhaps have a lull in health issues for a while, to be able to enjoy bunnies just being bunnies without needing the constant hypervigilance you have given Lillian.
    But ultimately Leo is the important one, so I'd see if the rescue will let him meet each of them and see who he takes the most fancy to. Lopsy seems to be a more confident bunny, I wonder if Leo would prefer that?

On the name change I think you'll be fine.

Rodney and Blossom had both had names changes just before they came to us due to having multiples with the same name at the rescues and have learned them really quickly.

And Primrose knew all her nicknames incredibly well, she was such a quick girl. Just a few name games with a treat and she learnt it.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk