• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggressive Behaviour after Spay

zenyah65

Young Bun
Hi All,

I recently acquired a pair of rabbits Mother and Son, the son is 11 weeks. They settled in well after a few days.
I'm the past week I had Mumma spayed as I had noticed Miffy getting a little randy as well as for her own health and wellbeing.
After the spay however she has become extremely aggressive, lunging and biting myself and my partner as well as Miffy.
I understand the spay has been a traumatic experience for her but I am really unsure of what to do now and how to integrate.

We have an indoor hutch and a large pen which they have access to all the time, however Mumma was seperated after her spay for a few days in the top of the hutch, it would be unfair to keep either up there all day without access to the pen.

I have tried using pet remedy but this doesn't seem to have effect. Miffy doesn't approach her quickly he very reluctantly approaches her or not at all and she will lung for him and chase him. Soonest he is old enough he will be fixed as well.

Any advice would be appreciated! It's really getting me down.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

I suspect her hormones are all over place and would advise you keep them separated until Miffy is neutered and then re-bond them. It can take many weeks for a female's hormones to subside, especially as she has had babies recently.

I suspect her hormones are all over place and would advise you keep them separated until Miffy is neutered and then re-bond them. It can take many weeks for a female's hormones to subside, especially as she has had babies recently.
Thank you, she has only recently been spayed in the past week, they are rescues so I couldn't say when her last litter was, I could only say that she would have had a litter approx 11 weeks ago. I hope it is hormone related, I think I will try and sit in her pen each day to let her get used to me again, after all I did take her to the vets to be spayed [emoji17] shall I swap bedding so they can smell each other?

If is a possibility that she will not rebond?

unfortunately after fixing an animal, their hormones tend to rise heavily before they settle. behaviours do (unfortunately) therefore get worse before they get better.

there is a possibility rabbits won't rebond, genuinely though I see this as more likely in cases where the rabbits have had a massive fight.

I would go with Tonibuns advice, keep them apart until the son is neutered too. he's likely to become quite rowdy and may even being to fight if housed with another (unfixed rabbits together usually encounters some sort of issue). and its not worth attempting a bond prior to both rabbits being fixed imo. due to hormones they tend to be quite uh..intense, to say the least

If the boy is her Son then they will very possibly re-bond and even if he isn't they should re-bond once both neutered etc. Introductions must be in a neutral area.

Good luck with this. Things are often best taken slowly with Rabbits but we are all too often impatient.

Thanks, they are separated but can still see and smell each other, she has just bit Miffy through the mesh and now he won't put his front paw down [emoji17]

How likely is it to be broken? I am also going to take him to the vets ASAP.

I wouldn't allow any aggression through wire as it hinders any future bonding. Can you have a look at his paw, they can break their toes sometimes. If he isn't putting his paw down normally tomorrow you will have to let the Vet examine him. Good luck.

Thank you, I do try not to allow aggressive behaviour from either.

How long do you recommend after a spay to try and rebond them?

I checked out Miffy's paw and could see a small cut on the pad, he his walking normally again now - still took him to the vet to be on the safe side, no major damage just a small cut [emoji4]

You can't re-bond them until Miffy has been neutered as he will pester her and she could attack him. They will be fine - just keep them separated. Glad Miffy's paw is ok.

Back