• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby being spayed today

FifiBun

Warren Scout
Not an actual baby obviously.
I'm so anxious, but am doing everything I possibly can to help her. She will have a small area to recover in so that she can't run about too much, a very low, or on the floor litter tray and I will sleep with her.
I'll hand feed her and syringe feed her water if necessary. I'll monitor everything- poos, etc

I've seen this thing called a recovery shirt, and the vets can offer this. Do people have any opinions on how well these are tolerated?

Should I put a hot water bottle under her bed?

Thank you in advance! [emoji169]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm so anxious, but am doing everything I possibly can to help her. She will have a small area to recover in so that she can't run about too much, a very low, or on the floor litter tray and I will sleep with her.
I'll hand feed her and syringe feed her water if necessary. I'll monitor everything- poos, etc

I've seen this thing called a recovery shirt, and the vets can offer this. Do people have any opinions on how well these are tolerated?

I'm a total newbie to proper rabbit care

Your bunny is likely to be a bit quiet and sleepy once she is home, and may be a bit slow to eat, until all the anaesthetic is out of her system. I would just keep her warm and quiet, maybe have some fresh herbs on hand to tempt her with. Your vet should give you good post op advice when you collect her, and be sure to ask about ongoing pain relief. Sending lots of vibes for your girlie x

Your bunny is likely to be a bit quiet and sleepy once she is home, and may be a bit slow to eat, until all the anaesthetic is out of her system. I would just keep her warm and quiet, maybe have some fresh herbs on hand to tempt her with. Your vet should give you good post op advice when you collect her, and be sure to ask about ongoing pain relief. Sending lots of vibes for your girlie x
Thank you! [emoji169]

Make sure that you are given pain relief to administer to your Bunny for 5-7 days post op’

She should have been nibbling at food and had both poo and wee output before being sent home. This should continue, but if she fails to pass any poo and refuses all food overnight then you’ll need to contact the Vet again as Bunny would need prokinetic meds to get her GI tract moving again. She would also need supportive feeds and fluids.

Good pain control really is the key for post spay recovery as a Rabbit in pain will not eat and not eating leads to gut stasis.

Her surgical wound will need checking twice a day. It should remain clean and dry with no lumps appearing along the incision line or near to it. The wound may look a bit red, but it should not feel hot to touch or look really ‘angry’

She will need to be kept confined and prevented from jumping up onto anything for about 10 days to allow internal healing.

I hope all goes well for her :)

Lotsa vibes and feels! [emoji847]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

You and fifi have been in my thoughts all day so I hope that fifis spay was successful.
Janes advice is, as always, absolutely perfect. Not much I can add other than I’m sending loads of vibes for fifi.
She should be allowed home once she is peeing and pooping. When she comes home you’ll have to closely monitor this.
Keep her as warm and comfortable and keep her hydrated and make sure she does nibble - you can get her interested in treats and then to food.
We learnt with our bun Lillian that she needed higher pain meds before she responded and recovered properly so watch fifis body language. She will probably be quiet but again, watch her body language and make sure she’s mobile but presents as comfortable. And you can always ring the vet if you are in any way concerned.
Hoping to read an update when fifi is home with you.
Sending loads of vibes and hugs.
Craig xx

Make sure that you are given pain relief to administer to your Bunny for 5-7 days post op’

She should have been nibbling at food and had both poo and wee output before being sent home. This should continue, but if she fails to pass any poo and refuses all food overnight then you’ll need to contact the Vet again as Bunny would need prokinetic meds to get her GI tract moving again. She would also need supportive feeds and fluids.

Good pain control really is the key for post spay recovery as a Rabbit in pain will not eat and not eating leads to gut stasis.

Her surgical wound will need checking twice a day. It should remain clean and dry with no lumps appearing along the incision line or near to it. The wound may look a bit red, but it should not feel hot to touch or look really ‘angry’

She will need to be kept confined and prevented from jumping up onto anything for about 10 days to allow internal healing.

Thank you so much InspectorMorse [emoji169]

Thank you SO much inspectorMorse [emoji169]

You and fifi have been in my thoughts all day so I hope that fifis spay was successful.
Janes advice is, as always, absolutely perfect. Not much I can add other than I’m sending loads of vibes for fifi.
She should be allowed home once she is peeing and pooping. When she comes home you’ll have to closely monitor this.
Keep her as warm and comfortable and keep her hydrated and make sure she does nibble - you can get her interested in treats and then to food.
We learnt with our bun Lillian that she needed higher pain meds before she responded and recovered properly so watch fifis body language. She will probably be quiet but again, watch her body language and make sure she’s mobile but presents as comfortable. And you can always ring the vet if you are in any way concerned.
Hoping to read an update when fifi is home with you.
Sending loads of vibes and hugs.
Craig xx
Bless you lovely Craig [emoji169][emoji169][emoji169]

Oh my goodness, you guys are just aces. I can't adequately convey how grateful I am for you time and care [emoji173]

I don't want to jinx anything as it's early doors still, but it's looking like everything went so, soooo well. They said she was super, super calm and sweet and easy to handle and do things to. It's lovely to hear because I have no basis for comparison having virtually zero rabbit knowledge. When I picked her up the nurse said " you got a good one"!

She came round from the op well
She was bounding around as soon as she was back and I had to stop her leaving her small recovery space.

She was doing big healthy poos straight away
She was eating within 2 hours- around 8pm- lots of carrot, pellets and apple ( I know, I know, but they told me to let her have whatever she wants tonight

She's been super sweet and snuggle bummy.

She's got the little baby grow thing on her, looks sooooo freakin cutesy pie, If I ever figure out how to post a pic on here I'll post one - or ten, haha! it was the smallest size they had, but at one point both her front legs were inside the babygrow thing and she was still hopping about, I had to wrench her arms out and put them through the holes, which was a bit scary.

She took the metacam pain relief stuff with little protest, but my fumbling shaky thumb and first finger squeezed the syringe too hard and I think a fair bit just splatted onto her face.
The other stuff they gave me ,something about helping her gut to move- she wasn't having any of it, and I really had to force that.
I was worried that not enough of either had gone into her so I called the vets ( for the 7th time today since she went in.. :/ )
They said it should be fine, and that it's most important that she got the pain relief down her, and that even they splatter a bit on their faces- and by the sound of her eating and poo situation, it sounds like her gut is moving just fine.
I was also concerned about not having seen her drink yet as she's just wanted to be in her favourite spot in the living room, not in her room, but they that as she's behaving as she is, she should drink when she's ready, and at any rate, the water content in the apple and carrot should prevent dehydration. She's in her room now with water and I'm not panicking.

She has a check up tomorrow, but so far it went like a dream...I'm so don't want to jinxy! :/

Thank you all SO much again, I've taken everything on board. Thank you, thank you [emoji120][emoji169][emoji169][emoji169]

Thank you so much inspectormorse, this is so helpful [emoji175]

Thank you so much inspectormorse, this is so helpful [emoji175]

Inspector morse- I didn't mean to respond so many times! It wasn't showing up as being sent!

Back