• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long can sulfatrim be used for?

mismatchbunnies

Warren Scout
One of my rabbits is currently being treated for snuffles using the antibiotic sulfatrim (the other is taking baytril as she showed a loss of appetite on sulfatrim). He has just finished an initial 10 day course of sulfatrim, but as symptoms haven’t completely resolved (he is sneezing less, but hasn’t stopped), we are continuing the course. Does anyone know how long sulfatrim can be used safely for? There is a lot less research into this antibiotic for rabbits as opposed to baytril for example so I’m struggling to find information. Is there any long term effects/risks I should know of?

Well it's usually prescribed up to 14 days

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-460759

I'm not sure there is any risk beyond 14 days?
The main reason they limit it to 14 days is because it's unlikely to work if it hasn't worked already.

The main side effect is an upset stomach. How is he eating and pooing?

I guess you have spoken to a vet on the phone?

Well it's usually prescribed up to 14 days

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-460759

I'm not sure there is any risk beyond 14 days?
The main reason they limit it to 14 days is because it's unlikely to work if it hasn't worked already.

The main side effect is an upset stomach. How is he eating and pooing?

I guess you have spoken to a vet on the phone?

Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, it seems to have had some effect but definitely not resolved the problem completely.

He had not shown any signs of an upset stomach; eating & pooing normally.

Yes we have spoken to the vet today, and I will probably ring on Thursday/Friday as to whether we need to continue the course or other options.

Also kind of a side note, but just to double check that it is safe to give meloxicom alongside sulfatrim? The vet said it should be okay but but I just would like a second opinion if possible.

I’ll put this question on the thread anyways if you don’t know the answer.

Also kind of a side note, but just to double check that it is safe to give meloxicom alongside sulfatrim? The vet said it should be okay but but I just would like a second opinion if possible.

I've had rabbits taking meloxicam and sulfatrim at the same time, the knowledgeable vets never said to stop using it.

Meloxicam/metacam is an anti-inflamatory, like ibuprofen or aspirin. I am no pharmacist or vet but I can't think of any reason why it would cause a problem with anti-biotics.

On the NOAH website it would mention things like that under the heading "Interactions".

I used sulfatrim and medicam together without an issue. Normally I give different meds at different times-may not be needed in most cases.
My bunny was on sulfatrim for a month when he had middle ear infection with no issues. Since your bunny tolerating it well it probably will be fine if it is starting to help.

I used sulfatrim and medicam together without an issue. Normally I give different meds at different times-may not be needed in most cases.
My bunny was on sulfatrim for a month when he had middle ear infection with no issues. Since your bunny tolerating it well it probably will be fine if it is starting to help.

Ditto to this X

Thank you all. Good to know that people have used sulfatrim for more than 14 days without issue, as well as using it alongside metacam/meloxicam. I’ll still keep a close eye on him as usual, especially if longer treatment is required.

Back