• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby brother and sister excessive mounting

Wilko

New Kit
Hi - first post on this forum! We have just bought home an 8 week boy and his 10 week old half sister. They are in a hutch and run together during the day outside, then in a crate in the garage at night. The boy has started to try to hump his sister, I understand this is a normal pecking order thing but it seems to be constant. On occasion she will try to mount his head and they appear to fight. My question is should they be separated or will they just work this out? Am reluctant to separate as I’m worried they will debond - also one other question, what temperature does it need to be at night before they can stay in the garden hutch all night?

Thanks in advance!

If the humping is constant as you say then it will be in their best interests to keep them separate until they are neutered otherwise a fight could break out which would destroy any hope of a future bond. It could be that you have 2 boys so it is a good idea to check them regularly as sexing baby bunnies is not an easy thing. If they were born outside in a hutch then they should be ok now outside if you are in England but maybe it is still too cold farther north. Even if you do have a boy and a girl, they would have to be separated soon to avoid the female getting pregnant at a too early age which would not be good for her.

Back