• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mounting

cocolola

New Kit
ive got a mature male and female . the female mounts the male is that normal ?:cry:
how do i hold the female as she is the size of a small cat and i do not want to hurt her?

I'm not sure whether the mounting is normal or not, but it certainly happens in this house. Usually the male mounts the female, then they have a chase, she then mounts him.
I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question, so I will let someone else try and answer it

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Mounting is two fold in my opinion. It is either due to the obvious (assume your bunnies are neutered) and it is also very much how rabbits assert dominance. They have a strict hierarchy and in some case (not all) the female is more dominant. It was certainly the case with my bonded pair that the female was the mote dominant but the make would occasionally chance his luck. The dynamics of my pair changed recently with the loss of the male and we have a new male who did a lot of initial mounting and is slightly more dominant to the female now.
Just keep a close eye for any fur pulling and/or biting and as long as it’s just mounting then to me it sounds like them trying to work out who is boss.

Bunnies are prey animals and they do not like not having there feet off the ground. If you are able to sit on the floor next to them, they will develope trust and come close enough to be petted. Take it slow and give them there favorite food when they are near you.
Even my smallest bunnies would become scared if they were not properly supported when being picked up.
Bunny personalities vary, as do people's level of interaction. Be patient.

Last edited:
At this time of the year, rabbits are at their worst for broodiness and mounting and if your female is much bigger than the male, I expect she is using that to her advantage.

Back