• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miracle Gro Potting Soil

Is miracle gro potting soil safe to put in a rabbit cage? I've looked all over and can't find an answer to my question. I know the potting soil is safe to grow their food but I don't know if it's bad to use as a bedding for them.

Is miracle gro potting soil safe to put in a rabbit cage? I've looked all over and can't find an answer to my question. I know the potting soil is safe to grow their food but I don't know if it's bad to use as a bedding for them.
Oh I don't know! Why would you use soil as bedding for rabbits? [emoji51]

I wouldn't put mine on that it has plant food in it, so I'd be extremely worried about them coming into contact with it /ingesting it tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh I don't know! Why would you use soil as bedding for rabbits? [emoji51]

I wouldn't put mine on that it has plant food in it, so I'd be extremely worried about them coming into contact with it /ingesting it tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I was thinking about it because it gets hot in my room really easily in the summer and the soil stays cool to the touch even when dry. Anytime I let her outside, she always lays down in my big pile of dirt whenever she gets too warm. I've tried using frozen water bottles but they just melt too quickly out here.

I agree with Gracie. I would never use soil either for those reasons. If you’re worried about keeping your bunny cool then make sure you provide sufficient shelter from the sun, as well as surfaces for her to cool down on such as ceramic tiles or pet cool pads which you can buy on amazon.

Ceramic tiles, slabs of stone (paving slabs, fancy granite stepping stones etc.) and even roof slates work well as cooling options.

I don't think I'd use it as bedding.. it would make such a large amount of mess, + it has chemicals in it which could be dangerous to bun if ingested. you could offer a plastic box with some untreated compost in, or topsoil, to lay in. I wouldn't put miracle grow around the rabbits due to the use of other chemicals tbh.

Back