• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my boys

capable

Mama Doe
With being in isolation for the next 10 weeks+, there doesn’t seem to be a better opportunity to try and bond my 2 boys.

Roo is about 1.5 years, and William is about 7 (got him 3.5 years ago, and was told he was about 3 years at the time).

William was rescued along with his brother, but their bond broke. I tried to bond him into an all-male trio which didn’t work (ended up as a pair and a singleton). Roo has never been bonded. They’ve lived alongside each other both indoors & outdoors for 1.5 years.

William is a friendly but dominant rabbit, who’s always wanted to be top-bun. Roo is a bit nervy and skittish, and slightly bigger than William (they’re both around 2kg).

I can’t bring them inside to bond due to my partner’s allergies, but I was going to set up one of my temporary 4x4ft pens in our outdoor store room, so I can wrap up and sit with them.

Is there a best time of day to begin? Should I lay down straw, or keep the floor bare and with a couple of hay piles? It’s been a while since I bonded any rabbits, and just looking for some reassurance!

I've always started early morning so you have all day in which to monitor them. By evening you should have some idea as to how it is going. Quite often I have been so pleased I have left them together the first night but if it seems a bit iffy then I separate for the first night then continue again the next morning. I always have put lots of hay and some treats down and I have always used my 12 x 8 shed so lots of space to runaway until they come to trust one another. I must add I have never bonded boys. I wish you lots of luck.

Thank you Tonibun! I’ll maybe get set up today and start first thing tomorrow.

In an ideal world, I’d get them both female companions. Unfortunately, we don’t have the space, time, or money for any more buns, or any other pets for that matter! Neither one seems to yearn for companionship, but having seen happily bonded buns (previous male pair, one bun veeeery submissive, which is likely why the bond worked) it would be lovely to see them happy together, and also to make their enclosure a lot larger.

Thank you Tonibun! I’ll maybe get set up today and start first thing tomorrow.

In an ideal world, I’d get them both female companions. Unfortunately, we don’t have the space, time, or money for any more buns, or any other pets for that matter! Neither one seems to yearn for companionship, but having seen happily bonded buns (previous male pair, one bun veeeery submissive, which is likely why the bond worked) it would be lovely to see them happy together, and also to make their enclosure a lot larger.

Absolutely! xx

Bonding has started today!

Touch wood, they’re both being shockingly well-behaved. William has taken quite a few chunks of fur out of Roo’s nose, when Roo has the audacity to try and sniff his face; and Roo has been the one doing all the humping so far, albeit only a few times.

They’re currently sat with their heads together, and have been there for about 15 minutes :? William seems quite relaxed, and there’s been no chasing so far.

There’s hay all over the floor, but no one has picked at any yet.

Will be reporting throughout the day, for those bored at home! :lol:

Well they both got a bit shirty and ended up circling. I stuck a dustpan between them, and they’ve retreated to either end of the pen. Roo seems more relaxed, he’s had a groom and a nibble, but William is still very guarded.

They’ve sat apart for almost an hour, thinking of making the pen smaller so they have to interact?

This is what a lot do on Rabbits UK. William is older and possibly wiser! What will you do tonight?

Not sure about tonight yet.

I kept the pen the same size, and am just giving them some time. After about another hour, they started to move around a little again, both on ‘their’ sides, but touching noses every now and again. They’re both eating, drinking, and grooming themselves, and William has done some poops.

They got into a bit of a scuffle and I had to stick the pan between them again, but they’ve mostly been cordial. They just don’t trust each other yet, I don’t think.

Poor Roo has lost so much fur! He’s a mini Rex, and they’re both moulting, which doesn’t help.

Oh blinkin’ ‘eck. Just had to break up another scuffle. Seems to be William initiating each time, but Roo is larger than him, and William is no spring chicken, so he’s often ending up slipping onto his side.

This time Roo has come away holding his left eye partially closed, although he can still fully open it. They’re back to their respective corners, but I think it might be time to call it a day, for today at least. :(

Yes perhaps give them, and you, a break!

We’ve pressed pause for today. Thankfully Roo’s eye seems fine - he had it open fully again within about 20 minutes, and was moving about and nibbling hay, so I’m confident he isn’t too shaken.

Both boys seemed happy to get back to their respective homes! We’ll have another crack at it tomorrow :) my bum hurts something shocking from sitting on a pillow on the floor all day! Rabbits, who’d have them?!

Back