• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone know how to dissolve a bladder stone in a bunny

I can only speak from experience with my dog. I imagine bladder stones in rabbits are made up of largely calcium? As far as I'm aware feeding a diet low in calcium and increasing water uptake may help towards preventing bladder sludge/stones, but will not treat any existing stones. Going forward I would ask your vet about removing the pellets from her diet and any alfalfa hay if she gets any, increase water uptake by offering multiple bowls and soaking veg, and feeding more leafy greens. Obviously any diet changes should be done gradually. I would also look at giving bottled water (I found Tesco Ashbeck or Volvic to be lowest in calcium, my dog gets Tesco Ashbeck) or filtered water. But these won't help the stone that she already has, and I'm afraid surgery is the only option. I have seen it done twice through working in a vets and both rabbits went on to do well. My dog has had the surgery to remove bladder stones, and he recovered well, although it was a big operation.

I'm with Jane on this. I can speak from first hand experience with one of my buns last summer. She was diagnosed with a bladder stone - quite a large one and surgery was the only option to save her life. As far as my reading goes, there is limited treatment available to actually 'dissolve' any stone which is pure calcium. Conventional ultrasound methods that humans can use are not appropriate for rabbits. So surgery is usually always the only option for an invasive removal.
That said, my rabbit has made a full recovery from the op - and it is a big operation. But she will always be seseptable to calcium stones so we have done what we can to reduce calcium intake for her - like bottled water for her to drink, reducing certain dried cereal foods etc.
Sending vibes for your bunny and hope that your vet can find some way to help with the stone.

The vet said that complications after surgery like glue sticking to her nearby organs and the op is only a 40 percent chance of survival as well as the anasetic on a 6year old bunny.

How rabbit savvy is your vet? I think if I were you I would seek a second opinion from a vet who is very experienced in dealing with rabbit medicine. Maybe post your approximate location and ask for recommendations from other forum members.

Sending lots of vibes for your bunny.

bladder stone-walnut size

Hi, My bun has a bladder stone the size of a walnut, they say a op is too dangerous, has anyone got any ideas? Thanks
dear poppy drew,-the members have offered condolences,and information/advice which cannot be disputed,-a bladder stone 'walnut-size],-must be removed,age is a factor-[anethesia]-,but the end result cannot be overlooked,.i have to question the if the dvm has taken a radiogragh,-due to the bladder size.??-here is alink for the bunz http.www.medirabbit.com sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa:love::wave:

The vet said that complications after surgery like glue sticking to her nearby organs and the op is only a 40 percent chance of survival as well as the anasetic on a 6year old bunny.

I would find another Vet PDQ. Did you look on this list that I posted before ?

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Alternatively you could post a thread in Rabbit Chat on here asking for Rabbit Savvy Vet recommendations in your area :)

Back