• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Henry at vets again - Henry has sadly gone- U/D 6am thread page 20

Very quick update for everybun- apologies it’s a bit late this morning but our new smoke alarm went off at 3am this morning so had to do a full house check and never really got back to sleep☹️
Henry had a bit more food last night - broccolli and some celery but nothing else, and some water. Hard to tell if he’s eaten during night as hoover Lillian will scoff anything, and she was less than happy at us wondering round the kitchen diner at 3am unannounced and she made her views known about that.
Evidence of more Henry poop including a large ‘ball’ that was soft so I think that was Henry. Small med brown poops as well and evidence more where he goes to loo.
Not eaten this morning but signs of hair regrowth on his anal/belly area- I czz as n see very small light hairs appearing so hopefully that is on the mend. Gave meds and he seemed just a tiny bit more fiesty but still not really showing a huge interest in food. Have left food for him as we are both at work and will assess the situation when we get home at about 5:30 and if need be, go to the vet.
Thank you all so much again- Craig xx

Sending Henry lots of vibes. Is it possible for someone to check on him and possibly feed him if necessary during the day?

Quick 6pm update for you all.
Omi - yes, you are quite right about wishing to have someone to check on Henry through the day. We don't have anyone locally - neighbours are at work and wife is teacher so cannot zip home at lunchtime.
I popped home on my lunch break but it takes me more than my allocated allowance - but I'll just work additional hours to compensate. As I've mentioned before, Henry (as both my bunnies) will always take priority over everything I do when they need that support. And your support from the RU means so much more than I can say so thank you all.
Henry was ok at lunchtime. Still not much energy but got a couple of small florets of brocolli into him before Lillian decided she would like in on that.
There's poops and plenty of wee and Henry is grooming himself but still quite quiet. He is clean underneath so that's positive.
I am thinking - and I am open to views on this, that becaue he's been on Sulfratrim for the last week and a half (stopped 3 days ago), his internal good gut bacteria will be wiped out by that (also suggested by vet) and so it will take some time for his natural gut bacteria to re-evolve and speed up the hunger and digestion - which is where the metaclopromide and rantidin come in to help.
Henry is presently finishing off the stalk of brocolli so that's positive. We'll do the neds soon.
We have the option of the vet tomorrow as wife off work and she could also ring and ask for the other tummy meds - the ones beginning with C. I am sure a quick conversation should help and if need be she can take Henry in. We could go tonight but he seems ok and we have a further problem due to here we live and the closure of the main bridge which causes complete gridlock here so our vet trip which takes 15 minutes would take at least an hour or an hour and a half each way.
Thank you so much everyone again for all your lovely vibes. I will keep updating as much and often as I can.
I'm running on empty now - I am shattered after last nights false alarm at 3am with the smoke detector and the stress from this which I take directly. It's not Henrys fault but I am putting all my energy into this and blimey - it really takes it out of you.
Thank you all again - Craig xx

I would be worried if he’s only eating tiny amounts, has the vet given the ok for syringe feeding? Topping up the vibes xx

Have arranged to take Henry back to vet first thing in the morning. Probable x-ray to determine exactly what the picture is inside- if it’s a blockage and/or where and also suggest bloods. It’s likely that of the vet isn’t happy with how Henry is presenting then he will require admission and we will take it from there. This is the best way forward now for Henry as I feel (as I believe you all do) that we have exhausted the options we have tried thus far without being invasive. I feel utterly helpless at not being able to make an improvement in Henry’s health and I feel like I’ve just let him down by trying antibiotics and gut meds and syringe feeding. I wish I knew what this was but I am praying that the vets can find the root cause tomorrow and start Henry on some intensive iv medication that will kick start his appetite and digestion.
I will update everyone once I know more. I am emotionally drained now and just sobbing away.
Craig xx

Sending more vibes for Henry, hope he keeps on improving. Really hope you manage a good nights sleep tonight Craig, your health is important too xx

Wishing Henry all the best for the vets tomorrow and hopefully he will start to feel better soon. I hope you also get a good night's rest Craig xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I do hope you manage to get a good night's sleep, Craig. The worry of a pet being ill is enough without having sleep deprivation on top.

Sending lots of vibes for the vets tomorrow x

I'm also sending vibes for Henry and your appointment tomorrow. I think taking him in is a good plan of action as they will be able to give him a lot of intensive nursing and do any investigations they need to do to get to the bottom of it.

I know we're all guilty of doing this but please try not to beat yourself up. You're doing the absolute best you can. You've been taking him to the vet, giving him all his medication and trying to keep his guts working. You're also battling on two fronts: dealing with the stasis and whatever issue is causing him to leak urine.

The problem with caring for a sick bunny is that you often have to make difficult judgement calls and it's impossible to know at the time what the right one is. Do you give medication more time to work or keep taking them back to be reassessed, which in itself raises the issue of setting back his recovery due to the additional stress?

I hope you manage to get some rest tonight as it is so exhausting caring for a sick bunny.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

We all empathize with your stress level caring for a sick bunny. It can be so distressing to have a bunny who is not improving as much or as quickly as you expect when you are putting every ounce of your energy into your special friend.
Often I ask myself if I should be doing more or less with a sick bunny. If you have a good vet that you trust, it is always comforting when they can give you their recommendations.
You are right that sometimes antibiotics can disturb the bacterial balance; yet there are times when a bunny needs to be on antibiotics for weeks. In some cases I had to change antibiotics when the original one stopped working.
IME a slow gut can also cause undesirable bacteria to flourish, even in the absence of antibiotics. Cisapride, motility med, can help the contents of the cecum move through.
Sending you, Henry, and your wife more positive vibes.

Have arranged to take Henry back to vet first thing in the morning. Probable x-ray to determine exactly what the picture is inside- if it’s a blockage and/or where and also suggest bloods. It’s likely that of the vet isn’t happy with how Henry is presenting then he will require admission and we will take it from there. This is the best way forward now for Henry as I feel (as I believe you all do) that we have exhausted the options we have tried thus far without being invasive. I feel utterly helpless at not being able to make an improvement in Henry’s health and I feel like I’ve just let him down by trying antibiotics and gut meds and syringe feeding. I wish I knew what this was but I am praying that the vets can find the root cause tomorrow and start Henry on some intensive iv medication that will kick start his appetite and digestion.
I will update everyone once I know more. I am emotionally drained now and just sobbing away.
Craig xx

I think you are doing the right thing taking Henry back to the Vets and I do hope that he/she can establish a diagnosis; be it Dental, Cecum/other GI tract issue or anything else. I will throw in one more thing, I'd ask for the Vet to have a good look down Henry's ears. After so many years of experience of caring for Rabbits with ear problems (all Lops) I always want the Vet to include a thorough examination of the ears. Sometimes a depressed mood and a significantly reduced appetite are the only presenting symptoms of ear pain, when we'd expect to see lots of ear scratching, head shaking or even a head tilt. So ear problems may never be considered at all. Inspector Morse (Rabbit) taught me that one.

Sending lots more vibes xx

Thank you all again so much.
Henry will be off to vets in about half an hour - to get him there as soon as they open. He is very poorly - he feels very boney now and although he ate more brocolli last night, I caught him seeking out yet more cardboard again from inside our room and he also had more cardboard last night. As much as I/we are covering it up, he's actively seeking it over any form of nutrient. He has urinated all over me during the meds this morning and he needs intensive meds now. He is pooping but he's just not really eating so I am hoping that the vets have something in their armoury that can encourage Henry to eat or at least get some nutrients into him.
I have sadly had a major meltdown this morning and still sobbing uncontrollably after half an hour. I'm afraid I have reached my threshold for all this and it's now tipped me over. Henry means the world to me - as he does Lillian and I am desperately fighting as hard as I am able to to get him better.
I will update you all later once Henry has been to the vets. I will be at work so my wife will take Henry.
Thank you all again.
Craig x

So sorry to hear this update Craig, hoping the vets can work out what's going on. Big hugs for you, look after yourself xx

Back