• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit making weird noise when eating

mismatchbunnies

Warren Scout
Hi, my 1 year old female bunny is making quiet but noticeable (if you listen closely) noises when chewing food. The noise she makes is much softer than a grunt and almost like a humming sound (short but frequent when she does make it) but only happens when she is eating and it’s not even constant when she is eating (she’ll make the noise a few times and then stop then do the same thing a little later). I’m wondering if this could possibly be a sign of pain/discomfort coming from one of her molars as when we went to the vets last we found she had a molar which was slightly sharp but not enough to where it was hurting her/required intervention. Also this vet appointment was not that long ago so I don’t know if the tooth would cause pain within such a short amount of time when the vet didn’t seem too worried about it. As well, I’m not even sure if this sound is even a sign of pain as I can’t find anything about it when I have researched it. She had shown no change in diet/loss of appetite (not any other common symptoms of teeth problems) and is behaving completely normally. Any ideas what this could be?

Hi, my 1 year old female bunny is making quiet but noticeable (if you listen closely) noises when chewing food. The noise she makes is much softer than a grunt and almost like a humming sound (short but frequent when she does make it) but only happens when she is eating and it’s not even constant when she is eating (she’ll make the noise a few times and then stop then do the same thing a little later). I’m wondering if this could possibly be a sign of pain/discomfort coming from one of her molars as when we went to the vets last we found she had a molar which was slightly sharp but not enough to where it was hurting her/required intervention. Also this vet appointment was not that long ago so I don’t know if the tooth would cause pain within such a short amount of time when the vet didn’t seem too worried about it. As well, I’m not even sure if this sound is even a sign of pain as I can’t find anything about it when I have researched it. She had shown no change in diet/loss of appetite (not any other common symptoms of teeth problems) and is behaving completely normally. Any ideas what this could be?

I would take your Rabbit for another check up at the Vets. The noises you can hear might be indicative of the start of an upper respiratory tract infection. Only a full examination by a Rabbit Savvy Vet will be able to determine the exact cause. I would try to arrange the appointment ASAP, even if Bunny is 'well' in all other ways. If an URTI is brewing it's far better to act quickly rather than to 'wait and see'. Good luck :)

Sending lots of vibes for your doe. I also would take her to the vet just to make sure, as this is a change in her behaviour and also you're aware of a possible tooth issue.

Sending lots of vibes for your little bunny, I hope a vets visit will give you answers. Good luck, let us know how she goes on x

Thank you for the replies everyone! We’ve just got back from the vets and everything seems to be okay, her lungs and vitals all sound fine so no sign of a respiratory infection, and her teeth also seem good from what he can see, so we’ve just been advised to monitor the situation providing the noises don’t become more frequent/she shows any changes in behaviour such as being reluctant to eat etc. Thanks again!

Could it be excitement do you think, is she more likely to do it with favourite foods? I'm the glad te vet visit went well

I’m not too sure, it tends to mainly be with hay which she doesn’t seem too excited over haha! I’ll just have to keep an eye on it

Glad to hear you were able to get bun checked out and that all was well :thumb:
A couple of my buns can be vocal with their food when they really enjoy it. Jazzie in particular is a loud little thing! She sounds like a little piglet honking and grunting :lol:
Other noises I've heard are squeaks and chirps but often it's a soft little grunt (unless it's Jazz, then it's a very audible grunt!)
Obviously it's a good idea to monitor her carefully and at any sign of illness etc she'd need to see a vet again but if she remains otherwise healthy I'd say she's probably just really enjoying her food :p

Back