• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stomach roaring

zahra

Young Bun
Hello :wave: Since yesterday's afternoon my rabbit's appetite has diminished and he ate less hay. Today I gave him parsley and he ate it all with appetite, also he ate some carrots but again no appetite for hay and he ate just a little hay . From today's evening his stomach is roaring(gurgling) somehow. He still plays and has no appearance of illness, but sometimes I can hear his stomach's sounds. Do you have any experience about this situation? meanwhile, is no problem with his urine and stools. and one thing else i want to add is, yesterday he ate multivitamin drops,i don't know it relates or not.

If his appetite has diminished then I would take him to the vets ASAP and get them to check him over.

Hello :wave: Since yesterday's afternoon my rabbit's appetite has diminished and he ate less hay. Today I gave him parsley and he ate it all with appetite, also he ate some carrots but again no appetite for hay and he ate just a little hay . From today's evening his stomach is roaring(gurgling) somehow. He still plays and has no appearance of illness, but sometimes I can hear his stomach's sounds. Do you have any experience about this situation? meanwhile, is no problem with his urine and stools. and one thing else i want to add is, yesterday he ate multivitamin drops,i don't know it relates or not.
dear Zahra,-rabbits donot expel gas[very well]-therefore some pain is experienced-try some infant simethicone for gas control,-as far as less grass,.rabbits will chose softer foods if there are dental issues.-the timothy/orchard grasses make up 70% of the diet-so watch for that.-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

First thing I would do is to give him Simethicone drops (baby gas drops, about 20mg of Simethicone 2-3x per day) to help with the gas, just as a precaution when I hear too much gurgling, if gas builds up it can become a real problem fast.
Second, I would make him move if he doesn't by himself as usual, and give him a gentle tummy massage. You'll see if he likes it. I put rabbits that don't let me touch their belly on my lap and rock the whole bunny.

I would be careful with rather sugary stuff like carrots, and offer him hay like a treat.

Preitler is right. Some bunnies cannot tolerate foods with a higher glycemic (sugar/starch) content like carrots. Too much of such foods in the bunny's diet can cause the cecum to not empty as quickly as it should, and undesirable bacteria will multiply and cause gas/discomfort.
Some bunnies are not good hay eaters even if they have little alternative (I have one of these too); others will eat hay if they are not given a lot of other choices (my girls). If you offer pelleted food obtain timothy based pellets instead of those made with alfalfa. Limit pelleted food in adult rabbits who do not need the extra energy/calories.
Have your bunny checked by the vet for dental and other issues, and to get supportive care. Early detection and treatment for GI stasis will improve your chance of a successful outcome.

Back