• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Vibes for Henry please -New 6th FebU/D after vet

Thank you both MM & JJ.
I wish I could report something positive regarding Henry (good film by the way - Harrison Ford). Anyway, yes, as I type, I am awaiting a call from the nice vet we saw on Friday. I am hopping to discuss the vaccination theory re possible nerve damage? I can't prove anything at this stage and that's not my intention. I still trust the vet I saw and still cling to some hope that it is possibly nerve damage. Henry has not shown any sign of improvement. He still carries his paw although I swear last night I saw him as he had a wander round the room at about 8:30 last night, sort of put very small amount of weight on it rather than completely carry the paw.
My concern is leaving a problem too long - which on one hand appears to make me impatient if the injury is tendon/ligament oriented. I continue to feel the leg whenever we administer metacam - more out of speculative hope than anything else. I don't feel anything abnormal. My wife also considered if he may have dislocated his shoulder? She thought perhaps one of his shoulder blades looked different. But I am not sure about that. I would have thought when the vet was manipulating his leg last week, she would be checking for any signs of that. But again, I'm open and receptive to being corrected if my views are not correct.
But I am wary about leaving this too long. It has now been a week. And whilst there is no indication of a break - which I assume must be positive, I am fearful of leaving it too long as to be the case that any condition/injury becomes permanant. Henry deserves better from me which is why I am over-reacting.
As soon as I've spoken to the vet I will update the thread with what she suggests.
I am indebted to you all for your continued kindness and support and I promise to update this later
Craig xx

Craig you are not over reacting! You are doing your bested for Henry because he deserves the bested! You are a great bunny dad and Henry Is very lucky to have you. If you would like me to, would you like me to email John Chitty for an opinion about injections/nerve damage or what ever questions you may have about Henry? xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

6:15pm - just spoken to the vet. She has ruled out dislocation as she said she manipulated the joint thoroughly last week and felt no indication of this - so that is ruled out (without conclusive xray). She also said she could feel resisitance so Henry has ability to move and control the limb. Again, thsi must be a positive?
With regards possible nerve damage - she felt that with a 3 week gap between the lame symptoms, this would be unlikely as she felt nerve damage would be more immediate. She also said that as far as she was aware, there was no recorded reactions to the vaccination by way of lameness.
So, I am slightly reassured - but it doesn't releive my stress levels and worry levels.
She still feels that time is the healer and give it another week before taking him back. She still feels it is soft tissue/tendon damage and this will take time. An x-ray will be the next step but will only identify any bone issues.
I just feel like breaking down in tears because Henry deserves to be running about and not having to be so inconvenienced.
Thank you all again
Craig xx

Thank you both MM & JJ.
I wish I could report something positive regarding Henry (good film by the way - Harrison Ford). Anyway, yes, as I type, I am awaiting a call from the nice vet we saw on Friday. I am hopping to discuss the vaccination theory re possible nerve damage? I can't prove anything at this stage and that's not my intention. I still trust the vet I saw and still cling to some hope that it is possibly nerve damage. Henry has not shown any sign of improvement. He still carries his paw although I swear last night I saw him as he had a wander round the room at about 8:30 last night, sort of put very small amount of weight on it rather than completely carry the paw.
My concern is leaving a problem too long - which on one hand appears to make me impatient if the injury is tendon/ligament oriented. I continue to feel the leg whenever we administer metacam - more out of speculative hope than anything else. I don't feel anything abnormal. My wife also considered if he may have dislocated his shoulder? She thought perhaps one of his shoulder blades looked different. But I am not sure about that. I would have thought when the vet was manipulating his leg last week, she would be checking for any signs of that. But again, I'm open and receptive to being corrected if my views are not correct.
But I am wary about leaving this too long. It has now been a week. And whilst there is no indication of a break - which I assume must be positive, I am fearful of leaving it too long as to be the case that any condition/injury becomes permanant. Henry deserves better from me which is why I am over-reacting.
As soon as I've spoken to the vet I will update the thread with what she suggests.
I am indebted to you all for your continued kindness and support and I promise to update this later
Craig xx

Craig I don't know what or who has suggested that you are over-reacting. I certainly do not think that you are and I also would not agree that Henry deserves better from you. You are continuing to care for him and to try to make some sense of what the issue is. The fact that the people who have commented here have varying views on what the problem could be indicates that this is not straightforward .

Will watch out for your update later.

Thank you both MM & JJ.
Craig xx

You are doing your utmost best for Henry. No-one could do more, I am sure of that.
So you are not at all over-reacting. I totally get that this has been a length of time where you would expect some improvement, even if it was soft tissue damage. You would expect to see a difference and so would I.

I am hoping for some improvement over time, given everything that you are already doing for young Henry.

I am here if there's anything I can do/help you with.

Craig, it is heartbreaking when our bunnies are ill etc you are doing your absolute best for him, no one could do any more and we are all sending our very best to you and healing vibes to Henry. xxx

Adding more Henry vibes, and a big hug for you Craig, you are doing an incredible job in caring for him xxx

I remember when my bridge bun, high on steroids, injured his paw jumping silly places. My vet felt similarily, it was soft tissue damage & as he was on steroids & metacam anyway we couldn't offer more. He was a long while (maybe a few weeks) healing. I guess the blessings are you trusted vet things time is key & also that your brave soldier is doing the sensible thing & keeping his weight off it. I'd have been horrible if you'd had to confine him.

Lots of vibes for Henry

Thank you all once more. I lay in bed last nightfor a long long time, thinking and trying to work stuff out - basically because I'm like that. Bedtime is my time to shut my eyes and anylise. I needed to try to walk things through and then, in the middle of the night, it hit me. I am such a dummy.
I finally worked out where Henry's injury lies within the leg. It's only taken me a week to do so and all the while something has been niggling away with me. All this time I had been focussed on Henry's paw. In my blind stupidness, the fact he wasn't weight bearing on it indicated that's where the issue was. I thought it might be his ankle.
Wrong, Craig. He choses to bend his paw underneath when he sits. If there was any pain or injury there, he wouldn't/couldn't do that. Therefore, logically, the injury/pain must be from wither the elbow or shoulder of his leg. More likely the elbow. If you hurt the tendons or ligaments in your knee, there is absolutley no way you would weight bear on it because it supports the weight of the leg. You would hold the leg off the ground because the pain you would get from the weight on it would be immense.
This of course didn't help me sleep any better (it's not good anyway), but at least I feel more comfortable knowing that it's not his paw and ankle that must be the fault. This also hopefully should mean that the time factor will work to help because keeping his paw off weight bearing will allow his tiny tendons and ligaments (if that is the cause) to repair and begin to give him less pain.
So, sorry it's not a definitive analysis or news that Henry's belting round the room at 6am, but at least hopefully should give you all a bit of a better feel of where I think Henry's injury is.
Thank you all
Craig x

Oh Craig, you sound just like me, I lie awake for hours doing this. I'm no expert, but your thoughts sound very feasible to me. If we were to hurt our knee, we would keep the weight of our foot to take the pressure off, so could well be that this is what little Heny is doing. Maybe it is just going to be a waiting game, hard as that is. Your vet sounds very supportive and thorough, I'm glad you and Henry have her for support. Hope you sleep better tonight xxx

I'm late to the party but I have been watching. I think you're right about the 'diagnosis'. We've had the same with both ours, though not as bad: Lopsy went through a whole summer on and off weightbearing, and Aboleth spent a couple of days lifting. Aboleth's was obviously much less serious, but Lopsy's whole summer of weirdness (moreso that usual :lol:) may have indicated a deeper problem. We never took him to the vets as it was so... irregular, and he gets really panicky under examination, it felt like it was more likely to make it worse. But, Lopsy still did everything else normal, everything except standing and stuff, he still loafed as normal...

I also get the bedtime is for analysis bit, because I do that too! That's why I like lay-ins ;P

Slight update - may not seem much but at least it was a small glimmer. I was trying to have a nap before going to work this morning (I get up at 5:30am and it's just my routine) and I'm on the settee nice and snuggled. Henry and Lillian have made themselves cosy at the other end of the room under the table. I'm just dozing when I hear the clattering loud paws of Lillian thundering up my end of the room - which she doesn't really do. She stops at the divide (it's an open room so no reason for her) - she kind of just has this thing about the big living room rug we have. Anyway, she hops up, has a look about and starts to go back to the other end, when I hear the tiny patter of lighter feet and look up and Henry has come right up the room. He loves to come up to this end and sit under the windowsill and wind himself up for a zoomie. Of course, he's not doing zoomies, but it was refreshing to see him exploring again, albeit for a moment. He then hopped back down to the table. I didn't get a good look at how he was hopping but at least he still feels some urge to get round as opposed to sitting still. We'll see how tonight goes.
Craig x

Slight update - may not seem much but at least it was a small glimmer. I was trying to have a nap before going to work this morning (I get up at 5:30am and it's just my routine) and I'm on the settee nice and snuggled. Henry and Lillian have made themselves cosy at the other end of the room under the table. I'm just dozing when I hear the clattering loud paws of Lillian thundering up my end of the room - which she doesn't really do. She stops at the divide (it's an open room so no reason for her) - she kind of just has this thing about the big living room rug we have. Anyway, she hops up, has a look about and starts to go back to the other end, when I hear the tiny patter of lighter feet and look up and Henry has come right up the room. He loves to come up to this end and sit under the windowsill and wind himself up for a zoomie. Of course, he's not doing zoomies, but it was refreshing to see him exploring again, albeit for a moment. He then hopped back down to the table. I didn't get a good look at how he was hopping but at least he still feels some urge to get round as opposed to sitting still. We'll see how tonight goes.
Craig x

that does sound encouraging.

much love to Henry :)

Craig x

I'm hopeful Craig, really hopeful!

I think I mentioned about it possibly being another bit of him other than the paw sometime in an earlier post when I was thinking about an X-ray, and you could well be right with your deductions.

I am sure that with rest this little chap will be back to zooming before you know it.

Hugs all round :)

You've probably already thought of this but just wondering if his claws have been checked? I have been at the vet tonight with my girl bun as she has been a bit lame the last couple of days, favouring her left paw over her right and tucking it under her body...turns out she had ripped her dew claw, the nail was still in tact but very loose and had dried blood inside it :shock:

Back