• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gut stasis... not pooping

Thank you everyone for your amazing help and positive vibes. I got the news I was dreading this morning which was that ralph had sadly passed away. I’m absolutely beside myself, but at least I knew we did everything we could. The vet said they’re may have been an underlying issue that we never knew about. She was so positive about him last night and said he would be home today so I was so excited. I just don’t know to process this news, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for everything everyone xxxx

I am very sorry to read such a sad update :cry:

Please forgive me if this suggestion seems insensitive, but for me I do find it helps if I have some idea why my Rabbit died, I always request a Post Mortem. Of course there is not a 100% guarantee that a basic PM will give any answers, but the Vet may get some clues.

Whether or not to request a PM is a very personal decision and as I have said, I do hope that I have not added to your distress by suggesting it.

Maybe when you feel able it could help to post a tribute to Ralph in 'Rainbow Bridge'

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?35-Rainbow-Bridge

Also, on the 31st December 2018 the Forum will be having a Candle Ceremony where anyone who has lost a Pet during this year can submit a commemorative post. Those who choose to join in can light a candle for their deceased Pet(s) in the knowledge that other Forum members will be doing the same. We offer each other empathy and support, albeit via Cyberspace.

RIP Ralph :cry:

I am so so so sorry :(

you definitely did all you could. sadly these things just aren't to be always. bunnies are so so so very fragile and they can just pass so quickly, even in the hands of a vet.

I know how awful it can be, as do many many others on this forum. mine as a PTS so I had more time to prepare, but its horrible either way :(

grief is a funny thing, and theres no right or wrong way to process it.

for me, I try to shove it in a box and forget about it. but also (while many don't) I like to hold my dead little one. I know it sounds a bit gross, but for me it helps me know that they are gone. they're not here anymore. I often cuddle them close and tell them now much I love them before burying them in a flower pot, or sending them off for cremation.

on this forum there is a rainbow bridge section, you may find it helpful to upload a tribute there to him with pictures and even text as if you're writing to him when your ready.

but I think the most important thing is don't bottle it up. let yourself be. if you need to cry, cry. if you need to reach out, reach out. if you need to just curl up and sob for a few hours, then do that.

there are many like minded people on this forum who have been through a similar situation to you, and we're all willing to support people be it new or old members. so if you find yourself having a bit of a wobble, please feel free to come back to here (or even stick around, theres a general section where all sorts of malarky goes on!!).

but please as Omi said, be kind to yourself. its a difficult thing. don't be harsh on yourself and just let yourself be, do what feels right.

I like to make little tributes, I'd pot some pretty flowers in their flower pot. for Snoopy, I decorated a box for his ashes with my favourite picture. others might create a corner in their garden with some rabbit statues, or even just a flower pot on the window sill.

big hugs and healing vibes for you xx

I’m so sorry he didn’t make it :cry: you did everything you could do for him. Thinking of you and sending hugs.

Binky free Ralph xx

I'm so sorry you lost Ralph (the name of my soul bun I had years ago). So sad you were expecting him home & things were looking up. I find sharing & talking helps me with my grief. I also write their life story in a little book with photos & cartoony drawings. Everyone "copes" differently, just be kind to yourself & know we'll be happy to listen to anything you want to share. Sweet dreams Ralph xx

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your lovely Ralph, you did everything that you could for him, I'm sure he knew that.
As J & B said, if you can write down all your memories of Ralph. I did this when I lost my Toffee, reading it back now, keeps his memory alive. So sorry xx binky free Ralph xxx

I’m very sorry you lost Ralph [emoji17] I think it’s so much worse when you have that spark of hope that they’re going to pull through only for the balance to suddenly tip the other way [emoji17]

Ralph was clearly a very special and much loved bunny. I’m sure you will have lots of wonderful memories of him which I hope will help you through your grief xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so so sorry :'( I lost a bun to stasis, it's so so awful :'( xxx

Sent via carrier pigeon

I'm sorry for your loss :( binky free little Ralph. I lost my Millie to stasis too so I know how you are feeling today. Lots of hugs. It's not easy to process, I still can't nearly a year later. xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I am so sorry that you lost your beautiful Ralph. You did all you could for him and you gave him all the love and care that he needed. It is sad to lose such a well loved bun and everyone finds their own way of dealing with the sorrow that it brings. Sending you hugs. Binkey free sweet little Ralph. xx

I am so sorry you lost Ralph. It has been only 2.5 weeks since I lost my sweet adorable Evan to stasis. I am still struggling with my not being by his side when he passed because I expected him to still be with me when I took a short rest between his care. Perhaps Evan and your Ralph wanted us to remember them in happier times.
The friends on this forum can offer you a lot of comfort. We know how special it is to be chosen to be loved by a bunny and how much it hurts when they pass away leaving huge holes in our hearts, sould, and minds. While others may your close family and ffriends may under how special Ralph was to you;, it is likely you will encounter people who would readily grieve the loss of a dog or cat who don't understand how a rabbit can be special.
The suggestions you read from others are all good. Most importantly, remember the good times.

Back