• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Im terrified i am loosing Jimby... ive lost my baby

rachylou

Warren Veteran
On examinationJimbys chest sounds better and his sneezing is much better so vet prescribed another 5 day baytil then stop.

Since our last appoitment, Jims just has not been 'right'.
We gave him the Baytril and some Zantac that evening as he wasnt eating since the vet visit.
Since then he has been very quiet, not eating biscuits but eating dried herbs but the past 2 days all he has wanted to do is sit in the litter box, he will eat fresh and dried herbs if i feed him but not showing intrest in doing it himself.
We have continued the zantac and last night gave him some metaclop too.
We havent started force feeding yet as it really stresses him out and we can not usually get him to take much anyway so just had feeding him, tomorrow i am going to male sure i hand feed him every few hoyrs to make sure he has constant input. Tonight we are going to fully dose him up with the baytril, metaclop, zantac and metacam and see if it makes any difference.
I am a little concerned he may be becoming incontinent, i forgot to mention it at the last appointment as it had only happened the one time but it has since happened again he has wet himself when we picked him up and gave him his meds which is very unlike him.
I have found another lump on Jimby this time his throat and i think i know why he is choosing to stay in his litter box, he seems to be loosing the control of his back end, when he sits down his bottom end twists to one side.
I am terrified i am loosing him!

I have been in tears, he is my baby i can not loose him

Last edited:
On examinationJimbys chest sounds better and his sneezing is much better so vet prescribed another 5 day baytil then stop.

We gave him the Baytril and some Zantac that evening as he wasnt eating since the vet visit.
Since then he has been very quiet, not eating biscuits but eating dried herbs but the past 2 days all he has wanted to do is sit in the litter box, he will eat fresh and dried herbs if i feed him but not showing intrest in doing it himself.
We havent started force feeding yet as it really stresses him out and we can not usually get him to take much anyway so just had feeding him, tomorrow i am going to male sure i hand feed him every few hoyrs to make sure he has constant input. Tonight we are going to fully dose him up with the baytril, metaclop, zantac and metacam and see if it makes any difference.
I am a little concerned he may be becoming incontinent, i forgot to mention it at the last appointment as it had only happened the one time but it has since happened again he has wet himself when we picked him up and gave him his meds which is very unlike him.
I have found another lump on Jimby this time his throat and i think i know why he is choosing to stay in his litter box, he seems to be loosing the control of his back end, when he sits down his bottom end twists to one side.

I am sorry to hear this Rach. It sounds as though Jims needs to go back to the Vet urgently this morning. You have mentioned that the Vet told you previously that Jims has some Dental problems. I know he was too unwell with his RTI to address those, but that may now be why he is not eating- ie his mouth is even more sore. His lack of mobility and generalised 'wobbliness' may be due to overall weakness as a result of weight loss, as happened some months ago.

A Rabbit who is not moving much can develop bladder sludge and this can cause some incontinence.

The new lump may be an abscess. Depending on exactly where 'on his throat' it is it may be Dental related.

A full blood profile would be something I would want the Vet to do, in particular to establish how Jims' Kidney function is doing. Some of his symptoms may relate to impaired Kidney function and if so Jims would certainly need to have some fluid therapy. (IV fluids)

Whilst Jims is clearly a very poorly boy with several issues going on there may be something a Rabbit Savvy Vet can do to get Jims feeling more comfortable and buy him a bit more quality time.

I really would make getting him to the Vet this morning your priority Rach. Sending lots of vibes x

Sending Jimby lots of vibes. I hope that the vet can help him feel more comfortable.

Sending lots of vibes for him and hugs to you. I hope you can get him to the vet soon xx

Loads of vibes for Jimby and strength for you Rach xx

I'm sorry Rachylou. This is devastating news. Enjoy your bunny and make ever day bunderful for however long you have together :( all my love to you and your family

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The vet has said that if we cant get his guts moving he may have a week but if we can get him comfortable a bit longer
Hes on metacam and the vet said that will give better relief than steroids.

How do i say goodbye to the one little being who has been with me through some really dark tikes, he saved my life.
How on earth do i say goodbye to my sole mate?

How do i say goodbye to the one little being who has been with me through some really dark tikes, he saved my life.
How on earth do i say goodbye to my sole mate?
I'm so sorry :'( I wish there was something I could say to make this easier but nothing could ever change how heartbreaking this is, sending you lots of hugs xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Worst news ever. My baby has lung cancer

How was this diagnosed Rach ? It is a terrible situation for you and I do feel you need to have accurate facts in order to help you process what is going on. Of course the fact that Jims appears to be reaching 'his time' is not going to be any easier, regardless of what is actually happening for him with regards to his lungs. But for you I am concerned that being told 'it's lung cancer' without any actual diagnostics will make it even harder for you once Jims passes.

Could it be that it is actually Jims RTI that has now spread to his lungs ? Would more aggressive injectable abx (eg daily injections of Depocillin) be worth a shot ? If the Vet is telling you Jims has lung cancer without running any diagnostics at all, then telling you Jims may 'only have a week to live' then perhaps you could seek a second opinion ? As well as injectable abx other treatment options for a lower RTI/Pneumonia are detailed here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Aspiration_Pneumonia.htm

*WARNING SOME GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Illness/Pneumonia/Pneumon_en.htm

Obviously I am only basing all I have posted above on the facts you have felt able to disclose on the Forum. If Jims has actually had diagnostics to confirm a cancer then I apologise for possibly and unintentionally adding to your distress. I can completely empathise with how distraught you are, I know all too well what it feels like to lose a 'Soul Rabbit'.

With regards to knowing when it is time to let Jims go, really no one on here can tell you. You know Jims, you will intuitively know when he cannot fight on any longer. I realise you may doubt that, I was certain I'd never know when I had to let my Soul Rabbit go. But when that time came it was obvious, he 'told' me.

You will know Rach

((((((((Hugs))))))) xx

Thinking of you and sending hugs.

I, too, was wondering, how this diagnosis had been arrived at.

Back