• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Spencer isn’t feeling himself

Yes I think if his home is mainly outside then he should stay there if possible.

This weather is a bit extreme, but I've been told that there will be some warmer weather on the way.
Today is quite cold though.

Yes, I was wondering whether the drop in temperature might had played a part.

I think we may have also been giving them a few too many nuggets, so they weren’t eating enough hay. So we have got a scale now to weigh their food to ensure they’re getting the correct amount.

We also have a snugglesafe heat pad from last year, and we got a nice snuggly fleece blanket when we bought Spencer home.

We bought them a hay tube which they are currently nibbling away on, but we are going to limit access to it so it is a treat, rather than something they have all the time.

The in laws have also had som turf taken up so we might have some really grass and a digging box for them as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering whether the drop in temperature might had played a part.

I think we may have also been giving them a few too many nuggets, so they weren’t eating enough hay. So we have got a scale now to weigh their food to ensure they’re getting the correct amount.

We also have a snugglesafe heat pad from last year, and we got a nice snuggly fleece blanket when we bought Spencer home.

We bought them a hay tube which they are currently nibbling away on, but we are going to limit access to it so it is a treat, rather than something they have all the time.

The in laws have also had som turf taken up so we might have some really grass and a digging box for them as well

They have landed on their feet with you :)

So Spencer has come on very well since Saturday.

He’s back to his old self, bit aloof but affectionate when he feels like it.

He’s been munching hay and we’ve given them greens and some dried forage and nibbly sticks and stuff.

One problem is that we want to reduce the amount of nuggets.

Doing a proper weighing of their food and working off 25g per Kg of body weight means they should both get 50g a day.

Is there any easy way to feed two rabbits? Currently they get 1 bowl between two of them but, Frank often hops off leaving all the food for Spencer. (Their food is given 50g in the morning and 50g in the evening, 25g each)

We’ve tried separate bowls but they both just eat from one bowl and then both eat from the other.

Separating them is an option, but don’t want to get them worked up.

At the moment I e gone for 30g of nuggets in the bowl with forage and stuff, so that even if Spencer pig eats all the nuggets he’s within his daily allowance

I’m glad he’s back to his old self :thumb: I never follow the instructions on the bag for recommended pellet amounts, it always seems loads! I don’t actually weigh pellets, I give about an egg cup full per day per rabbit, I always feed them just in the evening. When I was feeding pairs or groups, I always scatter fed the pellets, and then it’s easier for both or all rabbits to get their fair share :thumb:

you will need to cut down the pellets gradually, to make slow adjustments to their diet. Hopefully you will find they eat more hay then too :thumb:

I’m glad he’s back to his old self :thumb: I never follow the instructions on the bag for recommended pellet amounts, it always seems loads! I don’t actually weigh pellets, I give about an egg cup full per day per rabbit, I always feed them just in the evening. When I was feeding pairs or groups, I always scatter fed the pellets, and then it’s easier for both or all rabbits to get their fair share :thumb:

you will need to cut down the pellets gradually, to make slow adjustments to their diet. Hopefully you will find they eat more hay then too :thumb:

Thanks, it turns out that the he correct weight of nuggets (going by guidelines on the bag) was more or less what we were giving them anyway.

We’ve reduced the a bit gradually, but might increase nuggets slightly, and I’ll try scatter feeding tonight, they do enjoy a good snuggle for nuggets.

Spencer is going for a dental check this week as well.

I agree, I give a table spoon of pellets between two buns daily.. [emoji38] Less pellets the better imo.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

So Spencer has come on very well since Saturday.

He’s back to his old self, bit aloof but affectionate when he feels like it.

He’s been munching hay and we’ve given them greens and some dried forage and nibbly sticks and stuff.

One problem is that we want to reduce the amount of nuggets.

Doing a proper weighing of their food and working off 25g per Kg of body weight means they should both get 50g a day.

Is there any easy way to feed two rabbits? Currently they get 1 bowl between two of them but, Frank often hops off leaving all the food for Spencer. (Their food is given 50g in the morning and 50g in the evening, 25g each)

We’ve tried separate bowls but they both just eat from one bowl and then both eat from the other.

Separating them is an option, but don’t want to get them worked up.

At the moment I e gone for 30g of nuggets in the bowl with forage and stuff, so that even if Spencer pig eats all the nuggets he’s within his daily allowance

You can scatter feed the pellets? Or you can split it into two portions so that the distribution might be a bit fairer?

I'm glad to hear the good news of Spencer and that he's munching hay!

I agree, I give a table spoon of pellets between two buns daily.. [emoji38] Less pellets the better imo.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes, definitely this! The manufacturers always say to feed way to much, but then they would do :roll::lol: I have fed too many myself in years gone by, and it wasn’t until my vet told me to cut down to an egg cup full that I realised I’d been over feeding :oops:

I like the menu on Tamsins page http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-plants-vegetables-fruits.asp

Thanks all.

It was a bit of a shock, and I was very worried, and my wife felt guilty because she didn’t realise he was ill until I got home (she thought he was just being a bit grumpy).

I’m a bit worried about him now, but mainly because we’re both at work and no one will be home until 7ish, and I can’t just pop out to the garden to see the cheeky chaps.

Glad Spencer is feeling better and by the sound of it yes you definitely need to give them less pellets then they will eat more hay in order to keep their teeth worn down and keep their guts moving healthily. You need to be giving them about 1 tbsp. of pellets per rabbit, definitely no more.

Thanks all.

It was a bit of a shock, and I was very worried, and my wife felt guilty because she didn’t realise he was ill until I got home (she thought he was just being a bit grumpy).

I’m a bit worried about him now, but mainly because we’re both at work and no one will be home until 7ish, and I can’t just pop out to the garden to see the cheeky chaps.

You'll have to install a bunny cam :)

You'll have to install a bunny cam :)

I have considered it.

He’s definitely back to himself now, my wife let the boys out for some free play time earlier in the week, apparently he was happy hopping and zooming all over the place.

He saw the vet as well, but I think he’s a bit broken from the weekend. Apparently he tried to escape twice, and not in a curious have look way but proper scared way.

But, his teeth are fine, so we don’t really know what caused it, but are monitoring hay intake and stuff more closely and gradually their nuggets.

Back