• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What does this mean?

I’m so sorry xx We lost 2 buns, a cat and a pet duck in the space of 2 weeks - it won’t feel like it now but it does gets better with time.

Thank you all so much for your kind messages. The last few weeks have been horrible. Max and Molly used to have free run of the garden a lot of the time, so we’re used to glancing out of the window and seeing them ‘mowing the lawn’ or snuggled up in their favourite spot under the swings. Looking out of the window and then remembering they’ve gone is very painful. I went to Pets at Home today and one of the bunnies pictured on a bag of rabbit food looked just like Molly, and I shed a few tears in the shopping aisle.

We have given a lot of thought to ‘how soon is too soon’ to get another pair of bunnies, and maybe this is too soon, but I just can’t bear to not have any. So... we have found a male/female pair of rescue bunnies, and we are collecting them tomorrow! They won’t be our darling Max and Molly, but they will have their own adorable little quirks, and we will love them as much as we loved M & M.

So we need to change our user name. Hopefully I can just change our name rather than have to create a new account.

Sorry, one more thing.... I originally started this thread because I was concerned about Molly. One of the reasons I was worried was that I’d been cuddling her on my lap and she suddenly urinated all over me. She’d never done that before. When we took her to the vet later that day, she did it again, and the vet said that basically Molly had lost control of her bodily functions, which was a sign that she was dying :cry: You probably all knew that anyway, but I just thought I’d share it. When I’d looked it up online, all I found was descriptions of rabbits spraying urine to mark their territory, which obviously is very different. I know Molly’s sudden urination was a worry, but I didn’t know it could be sign that she was dying :cry:

Thank you all so much for your kind messages. The last few weeks have been horrible. Max and Molly used to have free run of the garden a lot of the time, so we’re used to glancing out of the window and seeing them ‘mowing the lawn’ or snuggled up in their favourite spot under the swings. Looking out of the window and then remembering they’ve gone is very painful. I went to Pets at Home today and one of the bunnies pictured on a bag of rabbit food looked just like Molly, and I shed a few tears in the shopping aisle.

We have given a lot of thought to ‘how soon is too soon’ to get another pair of bunnies, and maybe this is too soon, but I just can’t bear to not have any. So... we have found a male/female pair of rescue bunnies, and we are collecting them tomorrow! They won’t be our darling Max and Molly, but they will have their own adorable little quirks, and we will love them as much as we loved M & M.

So we need to change our user name. Hopefully I can just change our name rather than have to create a new account.
I am glad that you have found some new furry friends to join your family. I know they won’t replace M&M, no bunny could do that, but hopefully they will give you something positive to focus on.
I hope you don’t mind me asking, but are they vaccinated against RHD2, if not, I would suggest waiting until after they are vaccinated and waiting for the immunity to develop - at least a week after the vaccination, before you bring them home.

This is lovely news :D

Are they vaccinated for RHD2? Reason I ask is that you can't be sure if Max and Molly were carriers of the disease, so it's best that any new rabbits are 100% protected. They need a week after vaccination to gain full immunity.

I remember posting this previously on this thread, and I hope you won't think me insensitive posting it again:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/owners/frequently-asked-questions/FAQRHD

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rvhd2/

I really would hate for you to go through anything approaching as devastating as losing your beloved M + M.

Hugs and good luck with the newcomers :wave:

Of course I don’t mind you asking :) yes, thank goodness these two are fully vaccinated. We’ll never make the mistake again of having unvaccinated bunnies :cry: I’ve had a long chat with the rescue centre people about whether it’s safe for us to get more bunnies after the sudden deaths of our two, and they have reassured me that it’s fine. Obviously we’ve replaced all the feeding bowls, water bottles etc, and we’ve scrubbed and disinfected the hutch about five times!

Of course I don’t mind you asking :) yes, thank goodness these two are fully vaccinated. We’ll never make the mistake again of having unvaccinated bunnies :cry: I’ve had a long chat with the rescue centre people about whether it’s safe for us to get more bunnies after the sudden deaths of our two, and they have reassured me that it’s fine. Obviously we’ve replaced all the feeding bowls, water bottles etc, and we’ve scrubbed and disinfected the hutch about five times!

That is great news :thumb: I hope you will post lots of photos of your new rabbits. What are their names?

The reason Max & Molly weren’t vaccinated was because our vet told us it wasn’t necessary. I now feel that I can’t rely on advice from vets, so I’ve been reading lots of articles about rabbit vaccinations, to make sure we get it right this time.

I must admit though that despite reading all these articles, I am still confused as there seem to be multiple names for the same diseases... RHD, RHD1, RHD2, RHVD and so on. Our new bunnies are vaccinated, so presumably the rescue centre will give me the vaccination record and then we just make sure we book them in for boosters every 12 months?

That is great news :thumb: I hope you will post lots of photos of your new rabbits. What are their names?

We have been discussing names ever since we found out about them! The female’s ‘rescue centre name’ is the same as my daughter’s, so obviously she (rabbit not daughter!) needs a name change, so we thought we might as well change both of them. So, after much debate, the male (brown and white) will be Teddy, and the female (dark grey and white) will be Taylor :love:

P.S. Does anyone know how I can change my user name? I have searched all the FAQ’s but can’t find anything telling me how to do it, so I thought I’d have to re-register, but when I try to do that, it just says ‘you already have an account’ :?

The reason Max & Molly weren’t vaccinated was because our vet told us it wasn’t necessary. I now feel that I can’t rely on advice from vets, so I’ve been reading lots of articles about rabbit vaccinations, to make sure we get it right this time.

I must admit though that despite reading all these articles, I am still confused as there seem to be multiple names for the same diseases... RHD, RHD1, RHD2, RHVD and so on. Our new bunnies are vaccinated, so presumably the rescue centre will give me the vaccination record and then we just make sure we book them in for boosters every 12 months?

Any good rabbit savvy vet will recommend vaccinations, here’s a link on advice http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...d-Posted-at-the-Request-of-a-Forum-Moderator)

I would recommend finding a good rabbit savvy vet you are happy with, you can post a new thread on here asking for rabbit savvy vet reccomendations in your town.

RHD1 and RHVD is the same thing, RHD2 is a different strain. Rabbits need 2 vaccinations, rhd1 and myxomatosis is covered with the combi vaccine, RHD2 is a separate vaccine. See Jane’s thread (linked above) for more info.

I would make sure your new rabbits have definitely had both vaccinations at least a week ago.

Last edited:
We have been discussing names ever since we found out about them! The female’s ‘rescue centre name’ is the same as my daughter’s, so obviously she (rabbit not daughter!) needs a name change, so we thought we might as well change both of them. So, after much debate, the male (brown and white) will be Teddy, and the female (dark grey and white) will be Taylor :love:

Lovely names, and I agree, bunny should have the name change, rather than your daughter:lol:

P.S. Does anyone know how I can change my user name? I have searched all the FAQ’s but can’t find anything telling me how to do it, so I thought I’d have to re-register, but when I try to do that, it just says ‘you already have an account’ :?

I think only Tamsin (administrator) can change name, you could message her to ask? I’ll report to flag it up too

Any good rabbit savvy vet will recommend vaccinations, here’s a link on advice http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...d-Posted-at-the-Request-of-a-Forum-Moderator)

RHD1 and RHVD is the same thing, RHD2 is a different strain. Rabbits need 2 vaccinations, rhd1 and myxomatosis is covered with the combi vaccine, RHD2 is a separate vaccine.

Even the advice threads on this forum have confused me :oops: but your summary is crystal clear, so thank you. I think I will have to print it out and pin it to the kitchen noticeboard until I have memorised it!

That's fantastic :D

Usually the advice is every twelve months for vaccinations unless you're in a high risk area. It's often not possible to know whether you are high risk, but there might be some clues as to what's going on in your part of the world as regards RHD2 in this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-15-Sept/page12

Ask your local vet about this. Sometimes the vet will recommend vaccinating every six months.

You ought to be aware though that the Novibac/Myxo vaccination covers RHD1 and Myxomatosis. The Filavac RHD2 vaccination covers RHD2 but in addition RHD1. Therefore the rabbit gets an extra dose of RHD1 - which shouldn't be an issue but I felt you should know :)

Back