• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fran is going to the Bridge:(

My gorgeous, brave and gentle Frangipan has gone to Rainbow Bridge:(:(

I got there a bit early and took her out of her carrier and held her in a towel on my lap. I got some very odd looks as I was crying. The vet saw me quickly. He took her away to put a cannula in her ear which I have never had before. I have always been there when they did the injections. He insisted but was gone ages and I got myself in a state feeling I had abandoned her. He then put the drug into the cannula and she went to sleep in my arms. It was very peaceful but I feel awful as having the cannula fitted was probably really painful for her.

She is in a towel in her carrier waiting for my friend to come and bury her for me. I haven't put her with Violet and Zippy as they were in the hutch all the time she was in the run and they know she is ill. My neighbour has three small children and Violet and Zippy are in her garden. I will leave them out there now as it is warmer.

I just hope I did the right thing. The vet said I did. I thought she was less wet underneath this morning but she was just bones, despite eating loads.

Keeping everything crossed that Violet and Zippy don't get EC. They have had the 28 day course of Panacur.

Binky free Frangipan. I love you :(

My heart goes out to you Rhianna. :cry: ((((((Huge hugs))))))))
I said goodbye to Mimzy much the same way and so I empathize. I'm so very sorry. You have done the right thing for her. I know for us there are always questions. You can pm me if you need an ear.
Comforting energies for you coming your way.

Sweet dreams, Fran. xxxxx

Last edited:
I'm so very sorry :( It sounds very much to me as if you did the right thing, and you would have felt awful if something like fly strike had happened to her when you weren't there.

It's quite normal for an ear cannula to be placed for this, so please don't worry about that. It may have taken some time because he might have put some local anaesthetic cream on the area first and was waiting a while for it to numb it. I've seen it done plenty of times and the bunnies don't really even seem to notice. It's getting very normal practice to use the ear for iv access for bunnies for all sorts of reasons now, including prior to any anaesthetic.

Big hugs xx

I'm so very sorry for your loss. From what you put on here it was the right choice for her and she'll be returned to health and vigor while at the rainbow bridge xxx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Rest in peace Fran. Sorry for your loss. It is so hard when they are ill. Hope you are as ok as you can be.

My gorgeous, brave and gentle Frangipan has gone to Rainbow Bridge:(:(

I got there a bit early and took her out of her carrier and held her in a towel on my lap. I got some very odd looks as I was crying. The vet saw me quickly. He took her away to put a cannula in her ear which I have never had before. I have always been there when they did the injections. He insisted but was gone ages and I got myself in a state feeling I had abandoned her. He then put the drug into the cannula and she went to sleep in my arms. It was very peaceful but I feel awful as having the cannula fitted was probably really painful for her.

She is in a towel in her carrier waiting for my friend to come and bury her for me. I haven't put her with Violet and Zippy as they were in the hutch all the time she was in the run and they know she is ill. My neighbour has three small children and Violet and Zippy are in her garden. I will leave them out there now as it is warmer.

I just hope I did the right thing. The vet said I did. I thought she was less wet underneath this morning but she was just bones, despite eating loads.

Keeping everything crossed that Violet and Zippy don't get EC. They have had the 28 day course of Panacur.

Binky free Frangipan. I love you :(

My vet never uses a cannula for pts but I know some vets who do, so it's normal for some. It's not a painful procedure. Bunnies have very small veins and he probably didn't want you to see that bit, but it's unlikely to have hurt her, as it's used all the time for IV fluids at vets.

I am glad she was with you when she passed.

I am sure you did the right thing and it was very selfless of you xx Hugs xx

Thank you all sooooo much for your support and understanding - and for the reassuring comments about the cannula. My friend Pete came over and dug the hole for me and we buried her. I had bought a bunny garden ornament earlier at The Range and have put that on top of the area. I will plant something special there. I started wheezing on the way home from the vet and had to use my inhaler but I am OK now. Pete and I went out to the top of the hill and had a BBQ as I hadn't eaten all day. I'm in bed now as I feel totally wiped out. Have left Violet and Zippy outside but topped the hay up on their sleeping compartment. They were outdoor bunnies before Fran got sick and there is a tarpaulin over the hutch. They hated being in the kitchen so hopefully they will be happier now.

I used to have 11 bunnies, now I only have two. I would like to adopt another two at some point in the future and have a quad but I am sure the right bunnies will turn up if it is meant to be. Fortunately, Violet and Zippy have each other so I don't have the pressure to adopt another bun before I am ready.

Frangipan was a wonderful bunny and I will miss her a lot. Hopefully, she has found Faye at the Bridge - her previous companion.

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Fran sounded a lovely gentle bun. I'm pleased that she had a peaceful passing, she knew that she was much loved. Binky free Frangipan xxxx

I'm so sorry about Fran. Such a hard decision for you but you did everything you could and she's at peace now x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I am so very sorry to read this post and I fully understand how you must be feeling. I am shedding a tear for you and a few for Fran. We treasure and value life, we respect it and fill the lives of our little companions with as much love as we can. Frans life was filled with your love and as hard as it is, she went peacefully and with your love around her. Hugs to you and binky free beautiful Fran. X

I am so very sorry to read this post and I fully understand how you must be feeling. I am shedding a tear for you and a few for Fran. We treasure and value life, we respect it and fill the lives of our little companions with as much love as we can. Frans life was filled with your love and as hard as it is, she went peacefully and with your love around her. Hugs to you and binky free beautiful Fran. X

That's beautiful - thank you xx

Back