• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis prone bunnies

That's really interesting! I'll give that a try. Any brand of peppermint :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'd check there is nothing untoward added. I've tried a peppermint & a peppermint with chamomile. Mouse quite likes it, J&B don't but as I say, it can't hurt

Some reason it blocks her website and I can get on it! I've been trying to see that info on pellet free diet for ages!

Do you reckon he would be ok on increase of dried forage and hay. I do think the nuggets don't help at all. I definitely think they make the condition worse!

Hi Loobers :wave:

This is the info on the link from Frances Harcourt Brown:

Recommended diet for adult pet rabbits
This diet is suitable for rabbits with no existing health problems, such as acquired dental disease or
urinary tract disease. No nuggets are needed unless the rabbit is thin. They are fattening. They
can be used as treats instead. Muesli mixes should be avoided. They are never a good idea.
At least five different plants should be offered each day in addition to unlimited fresh grass
and/or good quality hay.
Vegetables:
Broccoli – florets, stems, leaves
Brussels sprouts – peelings, stems and leaves
Cabbage
Cauliflower leaves
Chicory
Celery

Fennel
Kale
Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Spring greens
Watercress

Herbs:
Basil
Chervil
Parsley

Coriander
Mint
Rocket

Tree Leaves and twigs
Apple
Pear
Plum

Willow
Hawthorn
Ash

Byproducts from the vegetable garden:
Carrot tops
Tops from celeriac, beetroot, artichokes or other root vegetables
Sweetcorn plants
Pea plants
Strawberry, blackberry and raspberry leaves
Sunflower leaves
Wild plants:
Bramble (Rubus fruticosus)
Buckthorn (Prunus spinosa)
Bindweed (Calystegia septum)
Burnet (Poterium sanguisorba)
Clover (Trifolium)
Cow parsnip (hogweed) (Heracleum
sphondylium)
Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)
Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara)
Cleavers (goosegrass) (Galium aparine)
Chickweed (Stellaria media)
Dandelion (Taraxacum)
Yarrow (Achillea milleforium

Ground elder (Aegopodium podagraria)
Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris)
Dock (Rumex spp.)- young leaves
Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)
Plantain (Plantago spp.)
Knapweed (Centaurea spp.)
Mallow (Malva spp.)
Shepherd’s purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
Sow thistle (Sonchus spp)
Vetches (Vicia spp.)
Wild chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris)
Willow Herb (Epilobium spp)

From what you've said, I don't think a lot of it would be suitable for Toby?

Hi Loobers :wave:

This is the info on the link from Frances Harcourt Brown:

Recommended diet for adult pet rabbits
This diet is suitable for rabbits with no existing health problems, such as acquired dental disease or
urinary tract disease. No nuggets are needed unless the rabbit is thin. They are fattening. They
can be used as treats instead. Muesli mixes should be avoided. They are never a good idea.
At least five different plants should be offered each day in addition to unlimited fresh grass
and/or good quality hay.
Vegetables:
Broccoli – florets, stems, leaves
Brussels sprouts – peelings, stems and leaves
Cabbage
Cauliflower leaves
Chicory
Celery

Fennel
Kale
Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Spring greens
Watercress

Herbs:
Basil
Chervil
Parsley

Coriander
Mint
Rocket

Tree Leaves and twigs
Apple
Pear
Plum

Willow
Hawthorn
Ash

Byproducts from the vegetable garden:
Carrot tops
Tops from celeriac, beetroot, artichokes or other root vegetables
Sweetcorn plants
Pea plants
Strawberry, blackberry and raspberry leaves
Sunflower leaves
Wild plants:
Bramble (Rubus fruticosus)
Buckthorn (Prunus spinosa)
Bindweed (Calystegia septum)
Burnet (Poterium sanguisorba)
Clover (Trifolium)
Cow parsnip (hogweed) (Heracleum
sphondylium)
Comfrey (Symphytum officinale)
Coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara)
Cleavers (goosegrass) (Galium aparine)
Chickweed (Stellaria media)
Dandelion (Taraxacum)
Yarrow (Achillea milleforium

Ground elder (Aegopodium podagraria)
Groundsel (Senecio vulgaris)
Dock (Rumex spp.)- young leaves
Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)
Plantain (Plantago spp.)
Knapweed (Centaurea spp.)
Mallow (Malva spp.)
Shepherd’s purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris)
Sow thistle (Sonchus spp)
Vetches (Vicia spp.)
Wild chervil (Anthriscus sylvestris)
Willow Herb (Epilobium spp)

From what you've said, I don't think a lot of it would be suitable for Toby?
He hates anything moist! It has to be dry. :/ I do have a good selection of dried forage although I don't know what the nutritional content would be like like.

I have dried:
Sunflowers
Marigolds
Mint
Rose petals
Plaintan
Coneflower
Coltfoot

I was wondering if woods where ok. For example I have willow, chicory, silver birch bark etc or could they be bad for stasis bunnies?

He hates anything moist! It has to be dry. :/ I do have a good selection of dried forage although I don't know what the nutritional content would be like like.

I have dried:
Sunflowers
Marigolds
Mint
Rose petals
Plaintan
Coneflower
Coltfoot

I was wondering if woods where ok. For example I have willow, chicory, silver birch bark etc or could they be bad for stasis bunnies?

Yeah, I didn't think most of that would work for Toby.

Dried leaves?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

Thumps began a massive drive to find out how to help stasis-prone buns :)

I would discuss with your vet about cutting out pellets for Toby. Whilst it would appear that Toby would not eat the veg or herbs from the FHB list, it might be that if you got the fresh version of what he likes to eat as dried forage, he might like it. Yes, twigs and branches are fine as long as they are rabbit friendly. In fact they are good for digestion. You could also try him with tree leaves.

Frosty has had stasis about three times in his life (5 years) and has always eaten brambles with great enthusiasm before anything else. May be worth a try?

Yeah, I didn't think most of that would work for Toby.

Dried leaves?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ried-given-your-stasis-prone-buns-tree-leaves

Thumps began a massive drive to find out how to help stasis-prone buns :)
That was a really interesting read! I had a rummage around my bunny tuck shop and I found dried blackberry leaves, apple twigs and nettles. I'm going to find some more tomorrow! I'm also going to try and find some bunny safe peppermint tea that Toby can try in a separate bowl if he chooses.

Frosty has had stasis about three times in his life (5 years) and has always eaten brambles with great enthusiasm before anything else. May be worth a try?
Will try! Thank you for sharing. What caused his episodes?

I would discuss with your vet about cutting out pellets for Toby. Whilst it would appear that Toby would not eat the veg or herbs from the FHB list, it might be that if you got the fresh version of what he likes to eat as dried forage, he might like it. Yes, twigs and branches are fine as long as they are rabbit friendly. In fact they are good for digestion. You could also try him with tree leaves.
That's a good idea. I do remember trying to give him fresh dandelion which he wouldn't eat (what bunny doesn't like dandies!) So I will try them again as he eats them everyday dried!

That's a good idea. I do remember trying to give him fresh dandelion which he wouldn't eat (what bunny doesn't like dandies!) So I will try them again as he eats them everyday dried!

He's a funny bun, that Toby :love:

You may find that Toby will eat some Hawthorn twigs and leaves. The Hawthorn is coming into bud around here now.

Even Eliza D would eat Hawthorn. She would not touch any other fresh forage/veg/herbs or grass. She did not eat much Hawthorn, but she would eat some xx

I had a couple of thoughts at three o clock this morning when I was checking on Toby:

Can bunnys eat willow leaves?
Do you think the fact he won't eat fresh greens he may know he has tummy troubles?

Also today only four pellets with meds plus forage. No signs of discomfort or belly pressing. Yesterday after pellets (8?) We had cold ears and signs of discomfort slight belly pressing. I gave him some Infacol on plaintan and then He was fine. I definitely would never use this instead of taking him to the vets but if I can nip it in the bud then it could save Tobys life.

I definitely believe the pellets make it worse. Also Toby ate a apple twig this morning which he never has before...interesting!

Yes, to Willow leaves :thumb: in fact any leaves from rabbit safe trees. There won't be many Willow leaves around at the moment though I don't think. Most rabbit safe trees will be deciduous and so you'll need to feed just the sticks. Willow sticks would be OK. It's great that he's willing to eat Apple twigs.

I'm not sure whether rabbits eat things they know will help and avoid things that cause them a problem. It certainly seems that way sometimes.

As Jane suggested, try him with some fresh Hawthorn. The buds appear to be very tasty for rabbits :)

I think trust your instincts on this one. If you think pellets are causing a problem, then I'm sure they must be. Good luck!

Another thought i had was can woods and twigs cause a blockage? And how can some pellets effect rabbits with gi problems?

Pellets are really concentrated, even the very high fibre ones. I think some bunnies' guts are just too sensitive for them.

Another thought i had was can woods and twigs cause a blockage? And how can some pellets effect rabbits with gi problems?

Hi loobers.

We found the excel mint pellets made Pip belly press straight afterwards especially when we fed them more. I imagined they were swelling in her tummy. Making her feel stuffed!

We swapped to a new pellet and give her less. They are physically larger so she has to chew then for longer and can't gulp them down.

I wonder if when Toby was with your other bun, they ate more of the pellets?

Also we have found if we give our nethies too many willow sticks they get gas. So we don't offer it anymore. But I know a lot of peoples buns are ok.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Back