• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon to start bonding after a death

booboobunny

Warren Scout
I had two male/female pairs of rabbits, which unfortunately has now reduced to one single male and one single female.
In early November I lost one of my female rabbits called Florence, leaving her friend Albie on his own. He's been fine and his behaviour didn't really change after he lost Flo, he's maybe just a little less active.
Then, on Friday morning my other male Ronnie died, leaving his sister Lottie on her own. Lottie is not herself at all and has been sitting in her bedroom area since yesterday morning, and hasn't eaten all of her breakfast (although she is happily eating dried banana when I give it to her). She's much less active than usual and when I went to check on her she grunted at me, so clearly she's very unhappy.
Now I have a single female and a single male who have both lost partners and it would be ideal if they could be bonded.
I want to leave Lottie alone for a couple of days at least to avoid stress, but would it be best to try bonding fairly soon so that neither of them is alone for too long, or leave it for a while and bond in a few months time instead when Lottie's behaviour might have settled?

P.S. both Florence and Ronnie died from problems they had, not a disease or virus or anything that could be passed on, so there's no risk of anything being passed to either Lottie or Albie.

I am sorry you have lost 2 of your rabbits. I would be inclined to try them together soon putting them in a neutral area. If you don't have a neutral space you will need to put the female into the male's territory as the boys aren't as territorial as the girls. If they definitely don't like one another then you are best to leave it a while before trying again. Good luck.

Back