• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit weeing and pooing in her bed

Margret

Warren Scout
Can someone please give me any suggestions as to what we can do. We have a 3 year old unneutered female german lop. She lives in a 8x6 shed with attached run, but has access to garden lots of times during day. In the shed she has one of those supposed rabbit hutches with the legs cut off which we filled with hay so she had somewhere to go and sleep or hide. She also jumps on the top where again she had hay. She has a litter tray in which we use magazorb and it gets cleaned everyday. She has started to wee on the top of the hutch and on the inside as well. We closed the hutch up, but she continues to wee on the top and is not using the litter tray. We have considered removing the hutch, but I still want her to have somewhere she can lie in....had thought of even lining hutch and top of hutch with vet bed and covering with hay but not sure if she would eat vet bed....already had a problem with statis and don't want any more problems. She has been okay tummy wise since we started to give her plantain. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but it is beginning to stress me out. My husband has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease and Isla is his only interest, but he feels the extra work is causing him a lot more tiredness.....any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Put the hay in the litter tray. They like to eat as they do business.

Neutering can help with the litter training so consider this as an option to make life easier.

Line the hutch and top of hutch with lino and battons then silicone to make it water tight. This way it'll just be a case of wiping it clean.

Ensure her litter tray is big enough - 32l underbed storage boxes are usually good but she may cope better using the base from an indoor cage - you can pick one up cheap online - Gumtree normally has 2nd hand going cheap.

ETA - Sorry it's a quick & to point reply. I'm about to go to sleep x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back