• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help. I'm at a loss.

xlaurax

Mama Doe
So, this is the situation: Bramble is ill with suspected mammary cancer (awaiting results- one week) She is presenting as being a picture of health (as they do) and eating like a trooper. She's lost 500g. Going from 1800 to 1300.

Bluebell is a 1900g healthy rabbit.

They live outdoors.

On Thursday they both spent (Bluebell there for moral support) the entire day inside at the vets while Bramble was examined. They spent Thursday night inside our house. In a cold kitchen. I kept the radiator off but provided heatpad for Bramble who was still groggy from the anaesthetic.

Friday all day and night inside.

Today they've gone back out. I've lined their hutch with newspaper, megazorb, loads of straw and provided a fleecy igloo bed (they've had these before).

I'm trying to do what's best for both of them.

Living inside permanently is not an option.

I can keep them inside until we get Brambles results but I'm really worried about Bluebell adapting to the inside and then freezing when she needs to go outside to live (potentially alone)...

Guys I really don't know what to do.

Should I bring them back in to the cold kitchen tonight just because it's warmer than outside? It's likely to be icy outside overnight. Or should I leave them out there with heatpads? I don't want them to get ill from being moved in and out.

Gaaaah this is so hard!! :(

ETA: i also have a cover on the hutch including the front

Last edited:
Difficult situation :cry: and I don't know what the answer is, but if they have been outside until the short stay inside then they will be accustomed to being outside. They may be happier outside in their normal surroundings too. If you keep them in for a long period then I don't think you would be able to revert to outside. I would go with your gut instinct and your knowledge of where they will be happiest.

Not an easy decision to make and so I can only tell you what I would do. My rabbit lives outside by himself at the moment as he's recently lost his Mum and Dad. I will keep him outside and am hoping to get some friends for him at some stage.

I don't think it's good for either of them to have several changes of temperature and so, as you say they cannot live inside for very long, I would put them both outside. Obviously I would try to make their accommodation as warm and snuggly as possible as you are already doing.

I agree with Zoobec and Omi. I had a similar decision to make with Pepper who had all her fur shaved off her back. She had been indoors but I was afraid there might be some mites still indoors so thought she would be better outside in a shed. She is doing well thankfully.

Thank you all.

My gut said bring them in last night so I did. The kitchen was cold enough to see your breath though so it wasn't warm for them. Just out of the relentless wind.

Back out this morning when the outside temp was similar to the kitchen. They're maintaining temperature so I'm happy with my decision.

Thanks again!

Back