• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Names - how did you choose yours?

We adopted Yan, Tan, Tethra and Methra as a family unit (Dad, Mum and two sons) almost 6 years ago. They all had other names. My OH decided on the names, which come from a sheep-counting rhyme/system traditionally used by shepherds in Northern England (he's a Northern lad). I wasn't that keen, but I liked the fact that the names related to one another. I did get very used to them though.

I'm not sure I want to continue the same theme when we get more rabbits. For a start, one of the options for the next name (i.e.5) would be Pimp (just no :shock:) and also the new rabbits would have no blood relationship with my Rex family. I might change my mind later.

I love your name selections for your rex family. :love: But I can still see why you wouldn't go for the next one.

My guineas have a similar theme - the Greek Alphabet. Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Epsilon are all at the Bridge though. :( We currently have 3 girls, Delta, Zeta, and Eta. I think that most, if not all of that naming system is suitable for animals though.

At the time I liked 'Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Games' on the Wii. I didn't think Mario suited him, so he was named Sonic!

However, now I'm 23, I do slightly regret it and get embarrassed when the vet calls "Sonic Rogerson" :lol:

My first rabbits were Smudge and Dusty as smudge had a black mark on her nose and Dusty was a dirty grey white colour.
Next buns were Flip and Flop. Flop had a slightly floppy ear at times despite being an uppy eared bun and his brother Flip was a lot more skittish.
Bramble was called Amelia when I got her, but I don't like human names for bunnies, so it changed to Bramble as she was small and sweet, but could be a bit prickly at times!
Parsley was called that by the rescue and it went well with Bramble, do we kept it.
With Willow I wanted a nature name that would go with Parsley and hubby vetoed Bluebell!
I always said I'd name my next bun after Parsley and Bramble either Trouble or Mischief. Didn't go through with it but Mischief is definitely Willow's middle name!

Our first rabbit was called Stew by my husband. I had to appease him by letting him choose as he did not know my plans and arrived home one day to find a baby rabbit in the kitchen. (Not a recommended approach to acquiring a bunny and I'd like to point out we are a meat free household!). Our second was called Santa's Little Helper, bless her, off the Simpsons so we changed that to Cassie- again my husband, short for Casserole. Sadly Rabbit Stew and Casserole failed to bond- maybe our naming didn't help??!
Bramble came next because I loved the name and I was going to get my own way for a change.
We adopted Norman which was such an inappropriate for a rabbit we had to keep it.
Bob was called Bobby so it was easy to shorten it and irritatingly we spent so long faffing/disagreeing over our newest bun Boogie that her name has stuck. (I really would never have chosen it) She does certainly boogie around the place though.
I think in the end a name is just a name and you just come to love it because you associate it with all the good characteristics of that particular bunny.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Rosie was my first bun and hubby picked her name, next we got Lance hubby named him too after Lance Armstrong! Hubby likes cycling but it just suited our big fluffy boy, he was originally called Rinty by the sanctuary and I only discovered a few years later that Rinty was the name of an Irish boxer Rinty Monaghan and Lance had 2 black rings around his eyes. Cody was the name the sanctuary had for him and we liked that so it stayed. And little Oliver was after Ollie Murrs as he was on x factor at the time. Oliver was originally called Jackson st the sanctuary.

My first rabbit was Twitch, named after her twitching nose. Took a break for a while and then Sparky arrived courtesy of the kids from my sister's after school job finding her in a ditch. After that there were Curious and Quiet named for their personalities. Then Lottie or Dottie Lottie because she was nuts/couldn't sit still. Harley and Quinn were next named after their colouring ie Harlequin; couldn't think of better names tbh. Then I got Sylvester and Logan from Windwhistle Warren and despite the name Logan is female but it just suits her.

Mine are called Atticus - from To Kill a Mockingbird, Clementine - because my mum suggested it and I thought it was sweet and it suited her :) and Fleur because when we got her she was delicate, timid, gentle yet strong and beautiful. All three are rexes.

My first two bunny's who I had when I was young I called Phoebe and Daniel, not sure why I called them that as I was very young - they were both mini lops :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Our male rabbits ended up being given 3 letter names purely by accident. Our first rabbit was jet black. We found him in an alleyway next to our house, scared and vulnerable so we bought a hutch and homed him. Being jet black, we wanted a suitable name but one that also reflected his colour - which isn't easy these days. I wanted a nice name that suited him and went down the path of coca cola. But that didn't really sound right )no offence to anyone who has named their bunnies coca or cola or a combo of both. Then we thought about pepsi (staying with the cola theme) but that seemed a bit too feminine for him and then I got inspired and thought about 'pepsi-Max' and then dropped the pepsi bit and called him Max. That suited him nicely. When Max passed over the bridge, we had already rescued Georgina. Sadly Ben passed before we had time to bond him with Georgina. Now, Georgina was called George by her pervious owners who didn;t realise she was a female! So we had to add the 'Gina' bit to her name. We then adopted a male bun to bond with Georgina and we chose Sam for him - staying with the 3 letters name. We sadly lost Sam to VHD and we looked for a new bun husband and found a delightful gentle character who we named Ben as in Gentle Ben. We sadly lost Ben a month ago We have now adopted Lillian who came with that name and after xmas we'll start looking for a male to bond with her and we'll again look at a 3 letter male name. Good luck with your name search.

Goodness my reasons are so dull in comparison.

My current two Will(ow) and Nancy were their names in rescue. Ditto Poppy ( Will's sister now at Rainbow Bridge).

My first ever bunny (My soul bunny) was Rosie, named after the AC/DC song Whole Lotta Rosie.

My second bunny was Blackie - not because he was white😀

Back