• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit allergic to hay

glitterdust

Warren Scout
Well here I am again , I have just had Norah to the vets yet again as she has a bad eye. She has had a runny eye from the day I found her 3 months ago but it was nothing too bad and the vets checked her teeth and flushed her eye and checked for ulcers, it was all ok.. I have developed a severe allergic reaction to Timothy hay so I thought I would try meadow hay. All my symptoms disappeared [emoji16]. However Norah's eye swelled up and went bright red. We have Been back to vets , they checked everything yet again and they think she may have a hay allergy. Just my luck. I'm allergic to Timothy and Norah possibly meadow. Is there any other hay that rabbits can eat. She has drops just in case of infection.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Well here I am again , I have just had Norah to the vets yet again as she has a bad eye. She has had a runny eye from the day I found her 3 months ago but it was nothing too bad and the vets checked her teeth and flushed her eye and checked for ulcers, it was all ok.. I have developed a severe allergic reaction to Timothy hay so I thought I would try meadow hay. All my symptoms disappeared [emoji16]. However Norah's eye swelled up and went bright red. We have Been back to vets , they checked everything yet again and they think she may have a hay allergy. Just my luck. I'm allergic to Timothy and Norah possibly meadow. Is there any other hay that rabbits can eat. She has drops just in case of infection.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

There's green oat hay which my rabbits tell me is absolutely delicious :D

https://www.timothyhay.co.uk

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/green-oat-hay.html

Oat readigrass:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/friendly-green-oat-readigrass.html

There's also freeze dried readigrass and freshly picked grass (at this time of year).

The hay experts can be pretty pricey, especially adding on delivery, so you might want to shop around :)

Allergies are pretty rare in rabbits, and usually cause breathing difficulties in the main. (I've a fair amount of experience :roll:)
However, I would be guided by your vet's advice.

Last edited:
I am thinking like you, I'm sure with allergies both her eyes would be affected not just one,Oat hay sounds like the way forward for now though ,I can try it and see if it makes a difference. Do they sell this in normal petshops , I don't remember seeing it anywhere but then again I haven't really been looking for it. I am hoping the eye drops help her and it has been an infection. They didn't give me any drops for her the last time and as she was just left in the rescue I doubt anybody noticed her eye running.

I am thinking like you, I'm sure with allergies both her eyes would be affected not just one,Oat hay sounds like the way forward for now though ,I can try it and see if it makes a difference. Do they sell this in normal petshops , I don't remember seeing it anywhere but then again I haven't really been looking for it. I am hoping the eye drops help her and it has been an infection. They didn't give me any drops for her the last time and as she was just left in the rescue I doubt anybody noticed her eye running.

Pets at Home (if that's not a dirty word!!) sell oat hay

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...VYbftCh35qwSMEAQYASABEgIngPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

What I do is order online, and then pick up at the store. Then I know it's going to be there exactly when I need it :)

Is readigrass suitable to be used as a substitute for hay or not. I have just nipped out to the shops to buy some and it smells that good I could eat it myself.

Is readigrass suitable to be used as a substitute for hay or not. I have just nipped out to the shops to buy some and it smells that good I could eat it myself.

Yes it is really. It's also that good that you can make burgers for yourself with it :lol:

I have used it for years, and free fed it. Just keep an eye for uneaten cecals as it is higher in protein than hay. But it will definitely tide you over till you get some oat hay and it's not likely to cause any allergic reaction :)

Wow, this is good stuff. Very impressed with it. Jimmy had his head stuck in the bag before I even had a chance to get any out, I am tempted to try some to see what it's ilike, I'm not a good cook so the burgers are out of the question, but it might make some nice green tea though. [emoji3]. X

[emoji38] this has given me a giggle.

In terms of allergic reaction, this doesn't sound like one and it does sound more like something else underlying that's not been treated effectively thus far.

Readigrass is great but as MM has said, keep a close eye for excess caecotrophes.
The same for the readigrass green oat.

Timothy hay sell green oat hay, however my girls honestly don't seem that keen on this batch.

Any hays you buy, try to buy a lose pack and not a vacuum pack. The vacuum ones tend to have more dust in them from being bashed around during transport.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Wow, this is good stuff. Very impressed with it. Jimmy had his head stuck in the bag before I even had a chance to get any out, I am tempted to try some to see what it's ilike, I'm not a good cook so the burgers are out of the question, but it might make some nice green tea though. [emoji3]. X

Now there's a thought :) It would definitely do that!

Glad Jimmy has given it his seal of approval :thumb:

My OH tried fibafirst before he gave it to the rabbits and said it was rather tasty. I would've tried it myself, but my choppers have seen better days :lol:

[emoji38] this has given me a giggle.

In terms of allergic reaction, this doesn't sound like one and it does sound more like something else underlying that's not been treated effectively thus far.

Readigrass is great but as MM has said, keep a close eye for excess caecotrophes.
The same for the readigrass green oat.

Timothy hay sell green oat hay, however my girls honestly don't seem that keen on this batch.

Any hays you buy, try to buy a lose pack and not a vacuum pack. The vacuum ones tend to have more dust in them from being bashed around during transport.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oops :oops: I missed you poking your head in there DP :wave:

My bridge bun, Kirsty, loved oat hay - it was often the only type he would eat! I used Burns Oat Hay and found it to be cheaper (but just as good quality) as Oxbow.

PS: Readigrass does smell rather delicious doesn't it?! :lol:

My bridge bun, Kirsty, loved oat hay - it was often the only type he would eat! I used Burns Oat Hay and found it to be cheaper (but just as good quality) as Oxbow.

PS: Readigrass does smell rather delicious doesn't it?! :lol:

Years ago I had a rabbit with the worst teeth (and absence of teeth) that I have seen. I actually put fresh grass and readigrass in my expensive food processor and made him his evening meal every night that way.

I told the vet and he was very interested in coming round for supper :thumb::lol:

The drops are working in Norah's eye, if it was an allergy would the drops still work or has she had some kind of infection after all.I would think an allergy would cause the runny eye with or without the drops

The drops are working in Norah's eye, if it was an allergy would the drops still work or has she had some kind of infection after all.I would think an allergy would cause the runny eye with or without the drops

Glad to hear Norah's eye has improved! :)

I agree with you; the fact that only one eye was affected and the eye has improved since using drops points towards a minor infection.

Years ago I had a rabbit with the worst teeth (and absence of teeth) that I have seen. I actually put fresh grass and readigrass in my expensive food processor and made him his evening meal every night that way.

I told the vet and he was very interested in coming round for supper :thumb::lol:

Oh bless him. That's a brilliant idea r.e. the food processor - you could start up your own bunny cafe (humans optional)! :lol:

How are things now glitterdust?

Norah's eye is so much better. I have oat hay getting delivered today to try.. I am using the redigrass and I grabbed a bag of cheap meadow hay from the local pet shop while I wait for the oat hay to arrive and I have to say I was very surprised how much they both enjoy it. so I don't know if her eye is better because I have changed the hay or because the drops are working.. More likely the drops. I have ordered samples of hay to sniff each one to see which I can tolerate better [emoji1]. I am fine with meadow , so if the oat doesn't go down too well then meadow it is.

Back