• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stressed rabbit when holding to clip nails

It's hard to explain, but probably because I've worked with so many hundreds of rescue rabbits over many years, I have a 'firm but fair' grip that even the feistiest rabbit can't thwart! It wasn't always that way, and I have war wounds to prove it. But if you do it like you mean it - you're not going to hurt them, but not going to let them struggle and jump away - eventually they will realise that resistance is futile and also that you are genuinely helping them. Don't allow your own fear or frustration onto the scene - just a business-like approach with lots of concentration.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for that little soap-box :lol:

It's really difficult working out how much you can "squeeze" them! When they jump out your arms it's dreadful, so you want to be "firm", but they do have a way of making you feel horribly guilty and cruel, don't they? :D

Monty seems to have finally learnt that if he's struggling and I place a hand on the back of his head, that means "I'm not letting you go, calm down", and he does tend to stop struggling.

I don't know how recommended it is, but having tried holding them horizontally and it just not working, I now carry mine vertically, front paws on shoulder and arms under back legs. That seems to help as well, and I nuzzle up next to them as we walk, which again, just says "It's ok, don't panic". All things to try and avoid "squeezing"!

For preference, I would still only be picking them up when it's time for grooming/nail clipping, just to teach them not to be afraid of being picked up, that there's a very definite sequence and they know what will happen - pick up - onto lap - groom/nail trim - treats - go again. But if you don't need to groom regularly, I can see where you'd want to get some practice runs in :)

(I don't know that my rambles are any use, but hopefully it at least says that you're not alone and we've all been there with bunnies!)

Thanks so much everyone it's really nice to get some feedback and similar situations regarding nail time, Migtymax and JuiaW you've seen the bulgy eye thing before too [emoji18]
sometimes i can start feeling a bit insecure about it when you feel like a terrible person trying to keep them tidy and well kept.
but like you suggested Linuxete and Monty's Mum we'll move to a higher area and in more unfamiliar territory
And to accompany that definitely as daphnepheobe and DemiS say lots of treats/food they do seem to become so preoccupied for a while that you could get in there and get clipping.

I'll keep practicing though and get more confident and they'll hopefully become less freaked out by being handled as the months go by, but will have a few Vet trims when they have any checkups or injections.

Anyway guys thanks for the support and your experience, this forum is gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's worth when the vet clips, asking if you can have ago just to get the practice of finding the nails & clipping. The more practice the quicker you become.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It's really difficult working out how much you can "squeeze" them! When they jump out your arms it's dreadful, so you want to be "firm", but they do have a way of making you feel horribly guilty and cruel, don't they? :D

Monty seems to have finally learnt that if he's struggling and I place a hand on the back of his head, that means "I'm not letting you go, calm down", and he does tend to stop struggling.

I don't know how recommended it is, but having tried holding them horizontally and it just not working, I now carry mine vertically, front paws on shoulder and arms under back legs. That seems to help as well, and I nuzzle up next to them as we walk, which again, just says "It's ok, don't panic". All things to try and avoid "squeezing"!

For preference, I would still only be picking them up when it's time for grooming/nail clipping, just to teach them not to be afraid of being picked up, that there's a very definite sequence and they know what will happen - pick up - onto lap - groom/nail trim - treats - go again. But if you don't need to groom regularly, I can see where you'd want to get some practice runs in :)

(I don't know that my rambles are any use, but hopefully it at least says that you're not alone and we've all been there with bunnies!)

Probably a good idea to do nails once a month. That sounds like a good way to do it MH.

All rabbits are different. I know what you mean about the 'squeeze'. They don't make me feel cruel and guilty, I'm afraid :lol:

It's like : "Sorry mate, but this is just going to happen, so relax", and they become quite calm and still.

Probably a good idea to do nails once a month. That sounds like a good way to do it MH.

All rabbits are different. I know what you mean about the 'squeeze'. They don't make me feel cruel and guilty, I'm afraid :lol:

It's like : "Sorry mate, but this is just going to happen, so relax", and they become quite calm and still.

But Monty has his "You're being mean!" face down to such a fine art :lol: I have to confess, once you've been badly scratched a few times, it becomes easier to squeeze without compunction!

We do nails every six weeks to limit picking up and make it slightly easier to see nails and slightly easier to trim. But I'm not great with keeping track of things, so I do tend to start checking from when I think it's been a month, just in case!

But Monty has his "You're being mean!" face down to such a fine art :lol: I have to confess, once you've been badly scratched a few times, it becomes easier to squeeze without compunction!

We do nails every six weeks to limit picking up and make it slightly easier to see nails and slightly easier to trim. But I'm not great with keeping track of things, so I do tend to start checking from when I think it's been a month, just in case!

Oh yes :lol:

I once ended up in A&E on New Year's Eve with a gash down my cheek. Once they'd bandaged me up, it looked like I'd been in a brawl. I could see people in the street thinking how sorry they were for me as I must've been mugged.

Aye, they weren't wrong there! :lol:

Thanks Montys Mum, no ur not rambling at all, this is great for me to know.

Oh and I know what you mean about the faces and they work on me.

Oh yes :lol:

I once ended up in A&E on New Year's Eve with a gash down my cheek. Once they'd bandaged me up, it looked like I'd been in a brawl. I could see people in the street thinking how sorry they were for me as I must've been mugged.

Aye, they weren't wrong there! :lol:

[emoji5] that's a shame, it would be embarrassing for your poor partner and people going oh look what they've done to your face [emoji28]

Thanks Montys Mum, no ur not rambling at all, this is great for me to know.

Oh and I know what you mean about the faces and they work on me.

Sorry MontysHuman my phone decided to change your name to mum [emoji6]

Back