• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bea & Henry - Possessive?

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
This is going to be a bit of an essay so here we go...

So everything has been great with Bea and Hen, they are free range now and they spend the majority of their time cuddling in our front room, away from us. To be honest we rarely see them except for at feeding time and Bea does run in for a quick cuddle every now and again but she soon goes running back to her man. Cuties!
Anyway, Henry is still very people shy. He will come running over to us when we have food and he seems pretty happy but he is still quite nervous of us. We are happy to just let him figure it out in his own time but we have been noticing some slightly worrying signs over the last few weeks.
About 2 weeks ago I managed to get a rare stroking session in with Henry and as soon as Bea noticed she came running over and very quickly positioned herself between us with her nose touching my forearm, I took the hint and stroked them both at the same time. I thought that she was being a bit of a diva but I didn't think much of it until last night.
Dan got home from work at about 4:30am and we sat and had a chat before going to bed. Henry started to venture into our room (which is something that he never does without Bea) and then before we knew it, Bea came chasing after him, postitioned herself to the side of him and proceeded to put her chin down on his neck. He then did a u-turn and returned to the front room where they spend all of their time.
It was almost like she was telling him that he wasn't allowed to come in and see us. Is that possible?! She stayed in our room with us, jumped on the sofa to say hello and then returned to Henry. Could it be that she is being possessive over us? I know that it sounds weird but the behaviour was odd and we both noticed it :/ Looking back we both think that there has been other signs of it too but we put it down to him being shy.
If so, Poor Hen :( And what can we do to fix it?

Last edited:
It doesn't sound weird to me because Boo is exactly the same ...no hold that, she is worse. I do thinks its possessive behaviour & Boos is around us & some of her fave things. She even got funny about the big litter tray once it was full of oat hay. If its any reassurance she has episodes where it gets worse but it hasn't escalated over time. She tries it on with Joey too but he doesn't stand for any nonsense.

I'll be interested to hear any replies about how to manage it. I've semi accepted it just bunnies doing their thing in their hierarchy but Mouse is a worrier & Boo does make her feel ill at ease when she's off on one. Usually they are cuddling & face pressing. Its not like Boo doesn't love her.

This is going to be a bit of an essay so here we go...

So everything has been great with Bea and Hen, they are free range now and they spend the majority of their time cuddling in our front room, away from us. To be honest we rarely see them except for at feeding time and Bea does run in for a quick cuddle every now and again but she soon goes running back to her man. Cuties!
Anyway, Henry is still very people shy. He will come running over to us when we have food and he seems pretty happy but he is still quite nervous of us. We are happy to just let him figure it out in his own time but we have been noticing some slightly worrying signs over the last few weeks.
About 2 weeks ago I managed to get a rare stroking session in with Henry and as soon as Bea noticed she came running over and very quickly positioned herself between us with her nose touching my forearm, I took the hint and stroked them both at the same time. I thought that she was being a bit of a diva but I didn't think much of it until last night.
Dan got home from work at about 4:30am and we sat and had a chat before going to bed. Henry started to venture into our room (which is something that he never does without Bea) and then before we knew it, Bea came chasing after him, postitioned herself to the side of him and proceeded to put her chin down on his neck. He then did a u-turn and returned to the front room where they spend all of their time.
It was almost like she was telling him that he wasn't allowed to come in and see us. Is that possible?! She stayed in our room with us, jumped on the sofa to say hello and then returned to Henry. Could it be that she is being possessive over us? I know that it sounds weird but the behaviour was odd and we both noticed it :/ Looking back we both think that there has been other signs of it too but we put it down to him being shy.
If so, Poor Hen :( And what can we do to fix it?

Very interesting :)

Bea is certainly exerting dominance over Henry. Yes she's being possessive, and doesn't want to give up her rights to you, in favour of Henry.

I definitely wouldn't think 'Poor Hen' though. It's his choice. We all make them - human and animals. He doesn't have to make the same choices for all of his life, but for now .......

It's amazing how these things work. Compliance, keeping the peace etc ... He wouldn't do it if he weren't OK with it at the moment.

Just be open to both rabbits, and accepting.- just as you already are. It's OK :)

Very interesting :)

Bea is certainly exerting dominance over Henry. Yes she's being possessive, and doesn't want to give up her rights to you, in favour of Henry.

I definitely wouldn't think 'Poor Hen' though. It's his choice. We all make them - human and animals. He doesn't have to make the same choices for all of his life, but for now .......

It's amazing how these things work. Compliance, keeping the peace etc ... He wouldn't do it if he weren't OK with it at the moment.

Just be open to both rabbits, and accepting.- just as you already are. It's OK :)

i saw you was online & hoped you'd chip in with something like this. I think I spoke to you on the very same subject. Your view point is helpful & I'm glad to be reminded of it. :) If I was a bunny I'd be bottom of the pile to avoid to many decisions & grooming :lol:

I can well believe what you say. Mine are outside but Bumble is also possessive over me. She always has been with Bee bunny and with Butter-Bean. It's a shame cos to be honest I'm sure it's stopped me getting close to the others (although I did manage to get close to Bee in the end). But this is Bumble and I know they're happy together and that is the reason I got Butter-Bean.

i saw you was online & hoped you'd chip in with something like this. I think I spoke to you on the very same subject. Your view point is helpful & I'm glad to be reminded of it. :) If I was a bunny I'd be bottom of the pile to avoid to many decisions & grooming :lol:

Ahhh sweet of you to say JB :) I'm glad it helped.

I did think of you when replying to RR .. Buns will be buns. I try not to interfere too much in 'bun-ness' :lol:

(are you not too hot on grooming then? :lol:)

well I wouldn't enjoy grooming Bob :lol:

Yes, I think its good not to interfere where poss (tho can't help myself sometimes). Who are we to say bunnies behaviours are not acceptable or a relationship of inequality is undesirable for them. They wouldn't be for people but people are not bunnies

There you go RR - Bea is a bossy boots but Henry loves her & is happy with the status quo . Its just bunnies being bunnies :)

Mouse is eye balling me big style. I hope you feel ok about it RR - my three all love joint cuddles so there are positives. Its awkward stroking three with 2 hands if one lies in an opposite direction . Sorry also to overtake you thread in your absence with my philosophical (drunken) musings . I think they'll be ok x

Thanks guys. That makes me feel a little better.
I just worry about him because he is so shy and nervous. He flinches when we touch him sometimes and I don't want him to feel like he can't come to see us if that's what he wants.
She did it again tonight, she was distracted with some forage so Dan went over to stroke him and when she realised she came running over whilst honking and he bolted again.

I think you are right though, He doesn't have to put up with it. Billy certainly didnt put up with her s**t :lol: I think that she's just a bit of a brat. Henry is very sweet though, I guess it's kind of selfish on my part... I'd just love to give him a cuddle and a stroke without him running away :(

Back