• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites what to do now?????

Yesterday I noticed that my bunny Mini lost a lot of her fur around the ears. It's also full of "dandruff" behind the ears and on the neck. It really came over night and it's getting worse. I know that that are ear mites and I'm going to book an appointment at vet tomorrow but now I wonder if there is something that I can do now at home? Is there any "natural" way to treat the ear mites? To calm the redness? It's not inside the ear at this point just around but it's a lot.
Please help!

Hi, selamectin is the only solution I know. It's a prescription drug, but I can buy it at my vet without it. So, maybe you could ask your vet to sell it to you, of course you should ask about the correct dosage for your rabbit. I'm using a puppy and kitten dosage 15 mg. I put about half the tube on my rabbit, he's about 1,5 kg. Then put the second half of the tube two weeks later. Also clean his cage and his environment (carpets, blankets etc.) to avoid reinfestation. If you have other animals living with you, it would be wise to treat the for mites too. As for home remedies I would not use any, it can cause even more damage. I hope your bunny gets well really soon.

Išsiųsta naudojantis C6903 Tapatalk 4 Lt

Yesterday I noticed that my bunny Mini lost a lot of her fur around the ears. It's also full of "dandruff" behind the ears and on the neck. It really came over night and it's getting worse. I know that that are ear mites and I'm going to book an appointment at vet tomorrow but now I wonder if there is something that I can do now at home? Is there any "natural" way to treat the ear mites? To calm the redness? It's not inside the ear at this point just around but it's a lot.
Please help!

I wouldn't personally use any 'home remedies' to treat the fur mites.

You can buy an over the counter remedy, which is similar to what the vet would give. It's a spot on treatment of Xeno 450. However, I always prefer the vet to have a look and confirm that it is indeed fur mites and give the appropriate dosage.

Also remember that fur mites proliferating is usually a sign that your rabbit's immune system is depleted for some reason, as they can normally keep them in check. So a look over by a good vet would be no bad thing in that case.

The treatment is Spot On for two doses, two weeks apart. (some vets even give a third dose after a further two weeks.)

I don't know whether you've any other rabbits, but they would need to be treated as well :)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Back