• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental babies hutch with ramp, please help!!

Just seen this. Not experienced it for a long time (bred one litter when I was a child). I am sure that babies must pester mum in the wild. Hope someone who knows more comes along soon.

Know what you mean about vaccinations and spaying/castrating. This is why rescue rabbits are such good value (reputable rescues of course).

Thank you. Mum bun can get up the ramp as it just opens when her head pushes on it but then it shuts behind her and she cant get back down. When i get back from work shes often stuck in the hutch part biting at the mesh with anger, cant secure it as babies will fall down! Realised i cant really put her in the shed as shes started to get all territorial again and i know she would go for me as soon as i step in. (distract her with veg in the hutch so i can open her ramp). I have a 4 by 4 guinea pig run, could i put babies in that during the day so mum can have ramp secured or will she wonder where her babies are or not accept them back with her being territorial? We do get babies out to play with them but we bring them in the house while Mum is free ranging in garden as she will rarely go back in hutch on her own accord without me throwing food in which she follows. She is really food aggressive now too despite being fed loads, she goes for you if you are eating something and growls when she hears veggie bag rustling. Another thing, babies are usually in sleeping compartment of the hutch but everytime they venture out she chases them back in poor little things!

Back