• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting!!

lparkin7

New Kit
I have two male bunnies, Bunny and Clyde, we bought them together and had to separate them when they were neutered. Now, they no longer get a long AT ALL! I have tried all of the bonding tips I've read and they still fight straightaway as soon as they are out together and most recently started fighting through the bars of their pens! Does anyone have any advice?! PLEASE!!!!

I have two male bunnies, Bunny and Clyde, we bought them together and had to separate them when they were neutered. Now, they no longer get a long AT ALL! I have tried all of the bonding tips I've read and they still fight straightaway as soon as they are out together and most recently started fighting through the bars of their pens! Does anyone have any advice?! PLEASE!!!!

Unfortunately in this situation it is very unlikely that you will be able to bond them again. Once two Bucks fight they never forget and even after neutering hostilities usually continue.

If you were to try again to reunite the boys I'd leave it for several months. Probably not until the end of Autumn. The seasons have some impact on Rabbit behaviour, Spring being a time when Rabbits are likely to be a lot more 'flighty' (It's known as 'Spring Fever' )

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbits - lovely names by the way :)

I wonder why you had to separate them when they were neutered?

If you want to have a go at bonding them again - it's not impossible (I've done it) but it can be more difficult with two boys who have fought already. I would leave it a couple of months, keep them out of sight of one another, and preferably get someone else to have a go on completely neutral territory.

Right now, it's Spring, and there's such a thing as 'Spring Fever', which means that hormones (even if neutered) are higher and so tempers run short. In the spring and autumn bonding can be more difficult to succeed, unless it's a straight forward male/female bond.

If you're in the Cambridge area I'm happy to come help however I can.

Personally, I'd completely separate them for a month or two so they don't have any sight or smell of each other.... give them a chance to forget and unwind.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Sorry to hear about your rabbits - lovely names by the way :)

I wonder why you had to separate them when they were neutered?

If you want to have a go at bonding them again - it's not impossible (I've done it) but it can be more difficult with two boys who have fought already. I would leave it a couple of months, keep them out of sight of one another, and preferably get someone else to have a go on completely neutral territory.

Right now, it's Spring, and there's such a thing as 'Spring Fever', which means that hormones (even if neutered) are higher and so tempers run short. In the spring and autumn bonding can be more difficult to succeed, unless it's a straight forward male/female bond.

We were advised by the vet to separate them and never really questioned it any further (coming from a professional) but everything I've read after advises against it!

Thanks for the advice!

We were advised by the vet to separate them and never really questioned it any further (coming from a professional) but everything I've read after advises against it!

Thanks for the advice!

You're welcome :)

But what a shame!

It always pays to come onto RU first :thumb:

Back