• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ranitidine - gut motility agent, yea or nay?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I posed this question to my new vet here and he said this drug has no effect on gut motility in rabbits. Is this correct?
I've been hoping that both Mimzy and Fiver could benefit from this drug, not only to keep their tummies from swimming in acid whilst taking metacam, but to keep their guts moving smoothly as well, since arthritis has left each of them fairly immobile much of the day.

Can someone who knows please clear this up for me? Many TIA. :wave:

Ranitidine is used to stop the stomach producing as much acid, it can also help protect the stomach from damage from NSAID's such as metacam. This is why humans on long term NSAID's (e.g. ibuprofen) should be prescribed a medicine to reduce stomach acid too. As far as I'm aware it's not used as a motility agent, you need a prokinetic such as metoclopramide for that

I posed this question to my new vet here and he said this drug has no effect on gut motility in rabbits. Is this correct?
I've been hoping that both Mimzy and Fiver could benefit from this drug, not only to keep their tummies from swimming in acid whilst taking metacam, but to keep their guts moving smoothly as well, since arthritis has left each of them fairly immobile much of the day.

Ranitidine has been found to have some prokinetic effects on the hind gut, aswell as reducing the acidity of the stomach

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

Metoclopramide has prokinetic effects on the upper GI tract, increasing the rate at which the stomach empties, hence why using the two drugs in combination is very useful in treating Rabbits with a reduced gut motility

See page 4 on here :)

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Yes it's listed in the vet manual as a gastrointestinal prokinetic drug:

https://www.msdvetmanual.com/pharma...gastrointestinal-prokinetic-drugs-monogastric

The BSAVA (British Small Animal Veterinary Association) says this:

Ranitidine is used to treat (or prevent) ulcers in the stomach and upper small intestine. These ulcers can develop in a variety of diseases such as disease of the intestines, kidney failure or cancer. They can also be a side effect of a group of pain-relieving drugs called NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-in ammatory drugs) or of large doses of steroid drugs. The prokinetic effect of ranitidine can be beneficial in the presence of ulcers and in a condition called feline idiopathic megacolon, where cats have difficulty passing faeces due to a hugely enlarged and abnormal bowel.

Hope you're OK MM? :wave:

Back