• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teddy has ec affecting bladder

I'm pleased you got some answers and things are improving anyway. I'm surprised your vet hasn't just started him on the next dose, hopefully Molly refers back soon to get him completely well. At least the metacam is doing the trick since he's happier.

Not started yet.

Last one (only one) finished a good few weeks ago. Just waiting for feedback from Molly, via my vet.

I am assuming the liquid, apart from being easier - for me! - to dispense, will be more economical?

I'm glad your getting advice from Molly. Panacur is a fairly safe drug, but there have been noticeable side effects, so an expert's go-ahead is what I would want too :)

Last edited:
About half way through a Panacur course and Teddy is still incontinent and wet :cry:

I am wondering if it is worth asking the vet for some Baytril in case he has a urine infection?

At this stage I am willing to try anything as it's not going at all well ... urine scald and trying to keep,on top of it all.

About half way through a Panacur course and Teddy is still incontinent and wet :cry:

I am wondering if it is worth asking the vet for some Baytril in case he has a urine infection?

At this stage I am willing to try anything as it's not going at all well ... urine scald and trying to keep,on top of it all.

Has your vet discussed all the possible causes of incontinence?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/urinary/c_rb_urinary_incontinence

Thanks for the links.

Teddy's incontinence very much comes and goes, but is staying at the moment. And, yes, he has had various investigations including a bladder x-ray.

He has had sludge fairly recently, but that seems not at problem at the moment. His rear end is weak which won't help matters. A second opinion by Molly Vagra (sp?) did indicate that she thought hint of the beginning or arthritis and possibly renal failure (groan), but my vet said she wasn't overly concerned herself at this stage.

I suspect there is a lot going on, apart from EC and that Teddy is older than first thought (it really doesn't help matters when you don't have a proper age!). In the past, he has a baytril which has cleared up an episode, so I thought it would be worth a try?

Thanks for the links.

Teddy's incontinence very much comes and goes, but is staying at the moment. And, yes, he has had various investigations including a bladder x-ray.

He has had sludge fairly recently, but that seems not at problem at the moment. His rear end is weak which won't help matters. A second opinion by Molly Vagra (sp?) did indicate that she thought hint of the beginning or arthritis and possibly renal failure (groan), but my vet said she wasn't overly concerned herself at this stage.

I suspect there is a lot going on, apart from EC and that Teddy is older than first thought (it really doesn't help matters when you don't have a proper age!). In the past, he has a baytril which has cleared up an episode, so I thought it would be worth a try?

I agree with you, Baytril may well be worth a try :) Cost effective and non-invasive.

When you say possibly renal failure, he hasn't had blood test to confirm that, has he?

Thanks for the links.

Maybe your Vet could have another word with Molly re the blood test results that Molly felt might indicate that he is bordering on renal failure ? Perhaps Molly may suggest running the blood tests again in the coming few weeks to see if there have been any significant changes. It might be a good idea for the Vet to send off another urine sample too. He/she could start Teddy on Baytril until the urine test results come back. Those are the things I'd want my Vet to do anyway :)

I agree with you, Baytril may well be worth a try :) Cost effective and non-invasive.

When you say possibly renal failure, he hasn't had blood test to confirm that, has he?

He has had blood tests (fairly recently). It didn't confirm renal failure but I got the impression Molly suspected it might be on the cards so to speak. My vet looking at the overall results didn't think we need worry at the moment.

Maybe your Vet could have another word with Molly re the blood test results that Molly felt might indicate that he is bordering on renal failure ? Perhaps Molly may suggest running the blood tests again in the coming few weeks to see if there have been any significant changes. It might be a good idea for the Vet to send off another urine sample too. He/she could start Teddy on Baytril until the urine test results come back. Those are the things I'd want my Vet to do anyway :)

I am fearful of hearing bad news, like renal failure. What would be the benefit of knowing (dumb question, I am sure). As in, what could be done for Teddy if this was the case?

I am fearful of hearing bad news, like renal failure. What would be the benefit of knowing (dumb question, I am sure). As in, what could be done for Teddy if this was the case?

Whilst chronic renal failure cannot be cured there are various treatments that can help support the kidney function and thus keep the Rabbit feeling 'well' for longer. Some dietary changes and fluid therapy can also be of benefit.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Hopefully you will be able to download this pdf file by copying and pasting it in to your web browser

file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/urinary-tract-diseases-in-rabbits-diagnosis-and-treatment-methods.pdf

He has had blood tests (fairly recently). It didn't confirm renal failure but I got the impression Molly suspected it might be on the cards so to speak. My vet looking at the overall results didn't think we need worry at the moment.

Ah good, that's reassuring :D

Whilst chronic renal failure cannot be cured there are various treatments that can help support the kidney function and thus keep the Rabbit feeling 'well' for longer. Some dietary changes and fluid therapy can also be of benefit.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Hopefully you will be able to download this pdf file by copying and pasting it in to your web browser

file:///C:/Users/USER/Downloads/urinary-tract-diseases-in-rabbits-diagnosis-and-treatment-methods.pdf

Thank you Jack's-Jane. Will see how Teddy fares on Baytril, but your link will make most interesting reading if/when the time comes :wave:

edit: will take a look in advance

Last edited:
Vet has agreed to try Baytril.

First dose tonight and Teddy is very put out at the new routine ... 2mls Baytril diluted with juice, followed by bum bath and a lashing of Flamazine cream :( I really do feel cruel (to be kind).

Add to that Metacam on toast first thing (god knows where that comes into the equation with possible kidney issues), and Panacur on toast last thing at night. If only he understood!

Thank you Jack's-Jane. Will see how Teddy fares on Baytril, but your link will make most interesting reading if/when the time comes :wave:

The link doesn't work, but it's a Vet Times article (which is subscription only) and it's one I have already, if there's any info you want :)

Aaah, it doesn't! The Twycrosszoo one does of course.

Without seeing it, I am not sure which portions are applicable to Teddy's issues? Is there added information to the Twycross Zoo one do you think?

Aaah, it doesn't! The Twycrosszoo one does of course.

Without seeing it, I am not sure which portions are applicable to Teddy's issues? Is there added information to the Twycross Zoo one do you think?

Absolutely :D

It also covers Bonobos!

Bonobos! I have such a lot to learn!

Okay, would be great to have the info but don't want to put anybody to too much trouble. Logistically, how can you send the info?

Bonobos! I have such a lot to learn!

Okay, would be great to have the info but don't want to put anybody to too much trouble. Logistically, how can you send the info?

I can email you the file if you PM me an email address to send it to.

Oh yes please :wave:

Got my running shoes on at the mo, (though not literally!) so will get back to you on that later today ...

Back