• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

UPDATE : TIGGS IS GONE :( . Devasted & Shocked

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
Hi all hoping someone can help. Tiggs has never had any health problems however yesterday evening she started with gut stasis . She stopped eating . We did the usual meds metacam, cislpride, Renitadin (excuse the spelling) we ended up going emergency vets at11pm in case she was going the same way as gizmo (November last year we lost gizmo when he went downhill quickly with it stasis then a blockage and peritonitis )
However they did a blood glucose which was 10 and they gave her metacoprimide. We have kept up the critical care but no improvement. I think she is unsure what is happening as every time her belly keeps making noises she wips her head around . We have come back to the vets but not sure what else to do . I can't lose another bunny :(
*** SEE POST BELOW ***
It's not looking good for tiggs . She has had a couple small poos but nothing else and her tummy isn't gurgling anymore hence going back to the vet. Her tummy is very distended and she is dehydrated. Also her temp is on the low side. I said I felt her stomach was firm last night but the emergency vet and nurse both said it was doey:( she has been kept in but the vet said he is not hopeful. She is that flat they might even be able to X-ray without sedation . Depending what the X-ray shows they may operate but they fear it could be peritonitis again :(

Last edited:
Hi all hoping someone can help. Tiggs has never had any health problems however yesterday evening she started with gut stasis . She stopped eating . We did the usual meds metacam, cislpride, Renitadin (excuse the spelling) we ended up going emergency vets at11pm in case she was going the same way as gizmo (November last year we lost gizmo when he went downhill quickly with it stasis then a blockage and peritonitis )
However they did a blood glucose which was 10 and they gave her metacoprimide. We have kept up the critical care but no improvement. I think she is unsure what is happening as every time her belly keeps making noises she wips her head around . We have come back to the vets but not sure what else to do . I can't lose another bunny :(

Poor Tiggs :cry: Has she had any poo output ? Did the Vet mention what may be the primary cause of the gut stasis ? Gut stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem-eg Dental pain.

This link may be useful to read

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

As you will note from the article, fluid therapy is an important part of the treatment of GI stasis, did the Vet administer any fluids (subcutaneously) ? Sometimes the sick Bunny needs to be admitted so that fluids and medication can be given IV.

Did the Vet take Tiggs' temperature ?

Sending loads of hugs to you :love:

The blood glucose measurement is very encouraging. I don't know whether the emergency vet took your rabbit's temperature, but that could give some sort of indication as to whether there's an infection going on, or whether there might be something like a blockage.

Have you got plenty of meds for your rabbit, and lots of instructions as to how to administer them for the next few days?

I often find CC more palatable when mixed in with organic baby food .. It might help her to eat a bit more.

Has your vet told you to also syringe fluids, or at least to make sure that the food you give is as wet as possible to hydrate the contents of the gut?

This might give you some help and ideas:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thinking of you and sending lots of luck xx

It's not looking good for tiggs . She has had a couple small poos but nothing else and her tummy isn't gurgling anymore hence going back to the vet. Her tummy is very distended and she is dehydrated. Also her temp is on the low side. I said I felt her stomach was firm last night but the emergency vet and nurse both said it was doey:( she has been kept in but the vet said he is not hopeful. She is that flat they might even be able to X-ray without sedation . Depending what the X-ray shows they may operate but they fear it could be peritonitis again :(

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear how poorly she is :cry: I really hope that she can pull through xx

thinking of you and praying for the best outcome xx

Some vibes for Tiggs :) my boy has not long recovered from a nasty bout of gut stasis which lasted well over a week. He was hospitalised for 5/6 days and it took another week for him to be back to normal once coming home. He didn't pass any poo for about three days at one point. His blood glucose was also ten and he was managed with syringe feeding, gut meds, IV fluids. He was also given an anabolic steroid too to try and get him eating (appetite stimulant)

Fingera crossed for positive outcome for tiggs

Tiggs has been put to sleep. She had free fluid in her abdomen and her stomach and bowel were distended :( I don't know how her partner yoshi will be . What do I need to do for him now :( I am afraid he is going to pine for her they were inseparable

Tiggs has been put to sleep. She had free fluid in her abdomen and her stomach and bowel were distended :( I don't know how her partner yoshi will be . What do I need to do for him now :( I am afraid he is going to pine for her they were inseparable

I am so very sorry :cry:

RIP Tiggs :cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

If you can let Yoshi see Tiggs, it will help him understand what's happened and make the process a bit easier for him.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oh no :( so sorry to hear that. When my boy lost his sister before xmas we let him spend some time with her body. He had a bit of a sniff and then he hopped back into his box. He took it quite well even though they were very close

Back