• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please!! Bonding advice!

Ria xx

New Kit
Hi all! I have a female aged 3 and male aged 4 both had there ops when younger, i have split there run in 2 so they can get to know each other, think we are 2 week of doing this, at the start of each play out male tries to nip her on the nose, should i be worried? I have read all different information from different websites, any help on the next step please?? Thank you all x x

If you have somewhere that is neutral then you need to pop them both in that and see how it goes. Make it interesting for them with hay and treats. If you start early in the morning by tea time you should have a good idea as to how they are getting along so you can decide whether to separate them for the first night or leave them together.

Like a bath or small pen inside?? They have only been in a neutral area where they are at the moment but its so cold outside at the moment -7 here x x

Yes, it needs to be somewhere neither bunny has been before so that it doesn't smell of anyone's territory. However, if they are outdoor bunnies and you intend keeping them outdoors then you will need to do the bonding outside as well. If you bring them indoors to bond then you will need to keep them indoors permanently until it warms up in spring, then you can move them back outside. So ideally, if outdoors, you should move the pen to an area where neither has been before. Start early one morning and be prepared to supervise ALL DAY!!!!!! A large pile of hay in the middle of the enclosure, perhaps some tasty fresh herbs and then put them both in together and supervise closely. If you need to nip to the loo then have someone else on hand to take over whilst you're not there. If necessary, reduce the space they have because if they have space to run, then they have space to chase and chasing often leads to nipping and fighting.

I always do a 'forced' bond in a very small space because I work full time and have to take a week off work to get the job done!

Back