• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Playhouse

shilps

New Kit
Hi, it's time to change Cottontail and Willow's hutch.
We're considering a playhouse. My only concern is would it be easy to clean out?
Does anyone have any experience of such housing?

Thank you,

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be easier than a hutch, but I had a shed when I had outdoor rabbits, and that was great as there was more room to stand up in it and also sit in there with them.

I have a playhouse: it's a good size as we don't have a huge amount of garden space (not enough for a shed anyway) and I'm only 5' so I find it quite comfortable. I do have pics and posted a lot on a thread here but they're Facebook pics so the links have probably changed by now! I do find it easy to clear out: it's got lino on the floor so I just sweep it, and that takes max. 5mins on my hands and knees/crouching with a dustpan and brush. I don't put anything else on the flooor except newspaper when it's wet outside for extended periods as the floor has a tendency to stay wet in such conditions. They have stools, a cat tree, two litter trays (greedy!) including one massive underbed storage box one, some other sort of hidey hole (their carrier, a box or the log bendy thing) and I made them a windowsill, which I can also sit on. I attached a hayrack to the wall and some hooks to the roof joist, from which I hang a haybasket and a wind-up lamp.

Last edited:
Playhouses can be a pain if you have messy (semi litter trained) bunnies and you're not as young as you were!. If you can afford one, a 7 x 5 shed is a very nice size for 2 bunnies. If you do go ahead with a Playhouse I would recommend a 5 x 4 one as opposed to 4 x 4. It's amazing how much more space 1 extra foot gives you.

Thank you all. Love the Lino idea.

Looking forward to kitting it out. Which will b interesting as I'm no carpenter. It looks like there are plenty of ideas on here though. Getting excited!

Thank you all. Love the Lino idea.

Looking forward to kitting it out. Which will b interesting as I'm no carpenter. It looks like there are plenty of ideas on here though. Getting excited!

:thumb: Have a look at the housing sticky thread if you haven't done already, there's loads of inspiration on there :)

Hi this is a link to a thread about our playhouse http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?459408-New-Playhouse

Since then we've meshed over the windows / door, put bolts on, added lino and attached it to our run with a welfare tunnel.

It's great, I do have to kind of crawl in to clean it out and have bumped my head occasionally, but I'm still very happy with it. We do also have a 8ftx6ft shed with rabbits in and this is obviously easier to clean as I can stand inside. Hth x

I love sheds and playhouses for rabbits :love:

I used to have one on my patio, and I made steps so the two of them could look out the window before they were let out, and I could see them peeking out from the kitchen window :love:

Hi this is a link to a thread about our playhouse http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?459408-New-Playhouse

Since then we've meshed over the windows / door, put bolts on, added lino and attached it to our run with a welfare tunnel.

It's great, I do have to kind of crawl in to clean it out and have bumped my head occasionally, but I'm still very happy with it. We do also have a 8ftx6ft shed with rabbits in and this is obviously easier to clean as I can stand inside. Hth x

I love that. It's very similar to the one we're getting. Great colours!

I love our bunny playhouse, our garden is too small for a shed but the playhouse is a million times more practical than a hutch. Stays dry and feels safe!
I've recently built an extra level so they can see out and added a shelf for storage:

e4b2cc911a7ead04a37a7e47f4849f4a.jpg

1b11a5581bf7bf2bf042c4ba6b4ddb1b.jpg

6438740aef56439af5a2203570a8df91.jpg

4fbe58989cb698510a5b256efb60fae5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I love what you've done with your playhouse Sierra. Ours just has a couple of litter trays and a wooden house at the moment x

I love our bunny playhouse, our garden is too small for a shed but the playhouse is a million times more practical than a hutch. Stays dry and feels safe!
I've recently built an extra level so they can see out and added a shelf for storage:

e4b2cc911a7ead04a37a7e47f4849f4a.jpg

1b11a5581bf7bf2bf042c4ba6b4ddb1b.jpg

6438740aef56439af5a2203570a8df91.jpg

4fbe58989cb698510a5b256efb60fae5.jpg

That's brilliant! Did you make all the shelving yourself or up cycle other furniture? We started building the playhouse yesterday. Exhausting work in the cold!

Ah thanks!
The litter tray/hay rack and bedroom are from manor pet housing - I can't cut perfect circles like that! The shelf to the window and the shelf in the roof I made myself. I love building things for them 😊

Back