• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding neutered does.

JessBun

Mama Doe
How much more difficult is it bond an unrelated pair of neutered does, than bonding neutered male and female please? I appreciate it varies from bun to bun, but I'm just talking general if its any more difficult.

Thank you x

The girls were a three month bond. Incredibly difficult and I'd never go through it again. (Mainly because Daphne is a *****... I'd never even be able to do a trio because of her).
I wouldn't say it's impossible, and it was worth the effort. But it was a hell of a lot of effort and sleepless nights for me.
Every bonding service I contacted flat out refused to bond two females and refused to give me advice or tips on bonding. (Which is how I came to end up here)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I know of a really good rescue who wont rehome does in pairs except in special cases. It is meant to be the most difficult combo. I have two sisters who were a pair (from barc) who are now bonded with my two bucks.

Thank you DP and tulsi. I appreciate both of your advice xx

If any one else has input too I'd really appreciate it (Not that I'm not happy with the advice I've been given - I am!!) it just helps is all. If it has a high chance of failing, it's something I'll put out of my head. xxx

It is so hard to know because so much depends on the rabbits themselves.

I am guessing that you dont have a rescue to help you here. If you do have a good local rescue they may be able to help with the bond in exchange for a donation.

Hi,

When I got my 2 female rabbits they were together as a pair and were only 15 weeks old. They were not sisters and are 2 completely different breeds. They were absolutely fine until Dotty started getting hormonal and they had a big fight. They were separated for about 4 months whilst we got them spayed and let their hormones settle down. we then started to try and rebond them.

It was a very hard process and very stressful. We had them in the kitchen and slept in the lounge for days. We thought they were getting on really well so moved them to their new shared accommodation. this potential upset the bond again so the one morning I went out and they had obviously had a shuffle and B had an injury to her ear. I bathed it and treated it and then kept a really close eye on them for days and throughout the night and they seemed absolutely fine. This was the hardest part as I was worried that B had been injured and I didn't want either of them to be really hurt but I didn't want to have got this far and then separated them again. Touch wood since then they have been okay. (I don't want to tempt fate but its been about 5 weeks that they've been back together now and they are always together. Sleeping together, eating together, grooming each other etc.

It was hard but 100% worth it. I think sometimes they need to have the chance to sort out the pecking order between them without us interfering every time (which s really hard and something I really struggled with )

Back