• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Betty's stopped using her litter tray !! Help!!

lauralittleninja

Warren Scout
I'm looking for some help with my bunny Betty . Iv had her for 5 years along with Frank and she is spayed and frank is neutered etc . My problem is , is that Betty has pretty much completely stopped using her litter tray. Frank is good as gold but Betty will poo and wee next to the tray . This has happened since we moved house about a month ago which I can appreciate is unsettling for my bunnies .
They have slightly less space than they did before , but they still have a double bedroom to themselves and the run of the landing and stairs if they want to . All the equipment i.e. Toys , blankets , etc have been kept the same however I have changed their litter tray for a different one . I used to use an under bed storage box in a xl dog crate as their base but now I have less space so I use a ferplast guinea pig cage as their tray which is stuffed with hay . I have also put 2 smaller trays near it as Betty was weeing and pooing in this area so I hoped a tray would encourage her to get in .
I am getting worried now as she has always in the past sat in her tray munching hay for ages but now she is hardly ever in there so I'm assuming her hay intake is much less :(
She was checked recently at the vets as she has her vaccination and had a clean bill of health but I'm starting to wonder taking her back for another check incase there is something medical? What can I do to retrain her ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you changed anything else about their litter tray? Different litter maybe?

I'm not too sure on litter tray problems, but she might just not like where the litter tray is in the house (too near a window/radiator, not sheltered enough, too close to their food bowl, too many people walking past it too often).

Could you leave a couple of small trays in other locations in the house to see if she takes to those better?

Did you throw the old litter tray away? I moved 2 bunnies which were excellent with their toilet into a hutch twice the size of their previous one and they are messing everywhere! I suppose I haven't quite removed the smell of the previous tenants! Hopefully Betty will get back into her good habits.

Hi thanks for your replies. No I haven't changed the litter , nothing's changed apart from the house so it's a bit annoying. She is using it occasionally but also just making a mess next to it. Il keep trying hopefully she will settle down eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back