• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding - stalemate - think we're there!

I gave the rabbits 5 days off, and started reintroductions in our other bathroom, which they've never been in before. I think there has been slightly less nipping, but we're still not making any progress whatsoever.

Billy will nip Poppy and pull her fur, and she thumps and runs away whenever he goes near her.

Both bunnies request grooming, but neither will give it.

I didn't take billy to the vets for a checkup - I've been watching him very closely and can't see signs of pain - he's eating normally, jumping up on boxes, not limping, I don't feel like our vet would find anything. He hasn't shown any aggression to us since the incident last week.

I'm just putting this out there in case anyone has any ideas what on earth I can do? I really want our buns to get along again...

The running away is normal for a few days, then they settle down with one another, usually. If she continues to keep running away for over say a week then maybe they are just not suited. I don't see what other advice there can be other than putting them together and hopefully they will get used to each other as long as they aren't fighting.

Poppy has figured out how to get past the puppy panels. I have no idea how she does it, but she's jumping up onto the sofa, 3foot odd up, and then she just hops on down into Billy's side of the living room. She is not one to be told where she can and can't go!

Going to have to work out something better to keep them apart!

Last night we had a little less nipping, and the rabbits spent most of their time in different corners just ignoring each other. I thought I'd try them in out hallway tonight - it's a room both rabbits have had free access to for a while, but not an area they are territorial about.

I think it has gone well tonight, both rabbits ate together, they played with a tunnel at the same time (wouldn't describe it as playing together though), and billy lay down next to Poppy. Billy has tried nipping Poppy a fair few times though, and we've had absolutely no grooming. It's an improvement, but we're not there yet!

On a side note, I noticed poppy was gathering hay up hay and starting to build a nest (just with hay, no fur) - I put a big handful of hay in the middle of it to make it less nest-like, and she stopped doing it. I hope she's not going to have a phantom pregnancy now! (She's spayed and he's neutered).

This bonding malarkey is really slow... We're still just gradually getting a little less nipping. I think Billy tried to hump Poppy yesterday, but she ran away. He growled and chased her off when they were sniffing at the same treat. She's gradually submitting, but not willing to groom billy.

Poppy somehow worked out how to get to Billy's side of the living room again. They didn't seem to fight, and I couldn't see any fur, but we did hear her running away from Billy (like he'd nipped her). I've reinforced again to stop her getting over again.

Just a brief update: we had to take a few days off from bonding due to Christmas activities, but we got the buns back together on Sun. We had a slight breakthrough, Poppy groomed Billy, BUT she expected grooming in return, and he point blank refused, so she went off in a huff with him.

I went into our living room for something, and poppy darted in while the door was open, so we had to keep it open. In the end, both rabbits enjoyed the free access to the hall and living room though, so we kept it open for a few hours. They spent some time together in the hall, they spent some time apart. At different points they had a mad dash to let out some energy (they love having the hall door open so they can sprint back and forth), and we saw no fights. Still a touch of nipping though.

I let them have full access to the living room and hall again last night, and the buns spent a little more time exploring together this time. A little bit of chasing at two points, but no major issues. They had a nap in separate places (they'd normally have snuggled for a nap) and I didn't witness any grooming (but it's harder to watch them with the two rooms available, so it could have happened, I just wouldn't know)

We're getting to a point where I think they could cohabit again, but their bond isn't as strong.

This time last year was when I first bonded them - it was their first full night together on the 19th!

It's just a quick update to say I think we're nearly there! Both buns have groomed each other, they've snuggled up for a few naps, and I've had them together for the last 24 hours without any disagreements!

Billy is still doing a little bit of nipping, and still a bit of honking while following poppy at times, but I think that will die down.

This has been one tough month!

Thank Goodness - I was reading back posts and one of the problems is Billy is so whimpish but hopefully, with time, he will become more confident and not feel the need to keep nipping.

Back