• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please!

Mia13415619

Young Bun
At the moment I'm keeping my rabbit indoors at night and in an insulated shed in the day so she gets exercise. I know that its bad for her health but its so cold. The cage indoors would be what I keep her in everyday, but its just to small and I cant leave her out in the day. Do I leave her outside in the shed all night and day or do I keep her in all day in a small space but keep her warm at night. When she goes in the shed I do have a snuggle safe water bottle for her. I'm paranoid about something happening to her being outside because my rabbit died a few weeks ago and I didn't know the cause apart from finding her outside her bed on the cold floor (Still in her hutch though). Please can you reply asap.
Thank you.

Why don't you just attach a run to the indoor cage, like a puppy pen or something? Then she would have space to run around a bit :)

If it's the cold you are worried about I have brought rabbits through 18 winters outside, Netherlands included, and as long as they have had time to develop their winter coat they have all been fine. I have never lost a rabbit to it being cold. It is different if a rabbit has a health issue, this rabbit would possibly not cope as well. Also, She will be extra protected if in a shed although it still gets very cold but at least she will stay dry and out of the wind. Are you going to consider getting her a friend?

She did have one, her name was buddy. they lived together for about a year but suddenly began fighting and would not tolerate each other at all. So I moved misty to the shed and Buddy to the hutch. Then, a few weeks ago, Buddy passed away. We have little money at this moment in time. We pay for two guinea pigs, a Springer Spaniel, Tropical fish, all on top of misty and we are re-decorating the house next year. Do you think she will be okay without a friend for this winter?
Thank You.

She did have one, her name was buddy. they lived together for about a year but suddenly began fighting and would not tolerate each other at all. So I moved misty to the shed and Buddy to the hutch. Then, a few weeks ago, Buddy passed away. We have little money at this moment in time. We pay for two guinea pigs, a Springer Spaniel, Tropical fish, all on top of misty and we are re-decorating the house next year. Do you think she will be okay without a friend for this winter?
Thank You.

If her health is good and your outdoor insulation and security are good, then she should be OK outside if that's what she's been used to. If you're at all worried about any of those things, then bring her in for the winter until they are sorted.

Do you intend to get a friend for her next year perhaps? :)

I really would like to, I'm just worried that she would fight with them because it was Misty who started the fighting with buddy. :)

Sometimes when 2 rabbits are together and one of them starts to get a heslth problem, the other bunny bullies them. SAs you have just said your male rabbit has died, then it could have been something which was wrong with him making your female pick on him.. Any new mate for her would have to be introduced in a neutral space as females are quite territorial.

They were both girls, I did think that she might of been fighting because the other one was ill. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated. Ive decided to keep Misty inside for the winter and get an extension for her cage. :)

Back