• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sylar's stasis thread

There is definitely something going on. I hate this.
Waiting for a call back from Molly still.
He will eat bits of hay, coriander, parsley and dill. Sometimes on his own but mainly when you put it under his nose. He is drinking and he is urinating a little. He is pooping but not a lot at all :(
He just seems so poorly and he is grinding his teeth. He is also flopping a bit too which I always thought was a sign of relaxation but from doing a bit of reading it seems like some bunnies will do it when they're not feeling comfortable too.
I just want some answers :(

There is definitely something going on. I hate this.
Waiting for a call back from Molly still.
He will eat bits of hay, coriander, parsley and dill. Sometimes on his own but mainly when you put it under his nose. He is drinking and he is urinating a little. He is pooping but not a lot at all :(
He just seems so poorly and he is grinding his teeth. He is also flopping a bit too which I always thought was a sign of relaxation but from doing a bit of reading it seems like some bunnies will do it when they're not feeling comfortable too.
I just want some answers :(

There's flopping and flopping - the uncomfortable one usually means pressing the belly against the floor, and can be quite stretched out.

I am so sorry you haven't got a good resolution. I hope you get a call back from Molly soon.

Hugs Roxy. This has *got* to sort itself out well for you xx

Just spoke to Molly and we can increase his Metacam update. It was late when I called last night and the intern dod the dosing so I think she was just being careful.
It's gone from 0.8ml every 24 hours up to 1.5ml twice a day!

Just spoke to Molly and we can increase his Metacam update. It was late when I called last night and the intern dod the dosing so I think she was just being careful.
It's gone from 0.8ml every 24 hours up to 1.5ml twice a day!

that should get him more comfy. Did she think the cannula could be causing him pain?

I've just caught up with your updates - I'm really sorry Sylar is still struggling, poor boy. Bless him, I hope Molly can get to the bottom of what's going on. Sending you all hugs and vibes and hoping things improve quickly for your beautiful boy. xxxx

No. I was a bit useless on the phonecall. Everything that I planned to ask just went out of the window. I'd actually just fallen asleep when she called as well. I think I'll write everything down from now on.
She said that she had looked at his teeth and they looked ok but I will ask her again about getting an xray done but I think it's all down to whether or not she feels like she is able to sedate him :(

My gut says teeth though. I do feel like he wants to eat.
I've just lay on the floor with him and put my head on his belly and I can hear some gut sounds at least. I hope! I wouldn't be surprised if I was imaging it at this point!

Maybe offer more softer wet food, herbs like coriander, dill etc? This should be easier for him to eat if it is teeth causing it and can get him to a point where there's enough going in and out that he could be safely sedated for a proper examination/molar burr?

i'm no expert but have noticed with my pets that i always seem to think it's something tooth related. infact it has been something else (sometimes that hasn't shown yet) that has caused them to be more tired and therefore eat more slowly because they are generally a little weaker. they also do that tooth crunching aswell which instantly makes you think teeth, but i've also found that to be discomfort from something else.

it is so horrible when you know that something isn't quite right, but that you can't quite put your finger on yet. i've had it before also where tests showed nothing initially but did eventually. this happened with bisc's spondylosis actually. we knew something was going on.

i hope you manage to keep him comfortable, and the metacam helps (bisc also needed higher doses) whilst you try to figure out what is going on x

My gut says teeth though. I do feel like he wants to eat.
I've just lay on the floor with him and put my head on his belly and I can hear some gut sounds at least. I hope! I wouldn't be surprised if I was imaging it at this point!

I have to say my instinct is to say teeth as well. When he's strong enough she can have a really good look at his teeth. Alternatively, can she recommend a vet who does 'conscious dentals'? This may not be something you or she wish to think about - people have strong views, but at least there's no anaesthetic risk and a 'look' would take just a few seconds ...

I suppose its something that we could discuss. It sounds awful though!
He's just had his metacam so hopefully that will make him feel a little better. Molly was happy to hear that he is eating at home... I've actually managed to convince him to eat quite a lot and he is drinking well too. I've just pick up his litter box (with him in it) to put in the hallway so that I can do his meds and his bum was hanging over the edge and he did a wee all over my carpet! Good boy!

Do you think that I could be bothering him too much?
I'm so scared to walk into the room to find him gone that I'm barely leaving him at all.

Going from 0.8 mls to 1.5 should be quite an improvement. I do hope he's more comfy now and that you're both able to relax a bit.
The xray sounds like it might be the way to go, especially if it's a root issue, which they wouldn't be able to tell from a look in his mouth. Fiver's had a few of them as we can never tell if he's got trouble from teeth or ears. It's very interesting how they measure the tooth lengths by the position of the skull/jaw in contrast.
More vibes being sent. You poor thing, you need a break from the stress. (((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) xxxx

Have you tried sotening his pellets in some warm water to make them easier to eat? Is he wet under the chin at all, or drooling? Can you feel any lumps or bumps along his lower jaw line? If he is keen to eat, but not wanting food once it is in his mouth, then I would suspect teeth as well. Does he have a preference over softer foods than hard ones? Sending your boy more vibes and supportive hugs to you - keep positive, I'm sure you and your vet will get to the bottom of what's causing Sylar's problem. Xxx

Have you tried sotening his pellets in some warm water to make them easier to eat? Is he wet under the chin at all, or drooling? Can you feel any lumps or bumps along his lower jaw line? If he is keen to eat, but not wanting food once it is in his mouth, then I would suspect teeth as well. Does he have a preference over softer foods than hard ones? Sending your boy more vibes and supportive hugs to you - keep positive, I'm sure you and your vet will get to the bottom of what's causing Sylar's problem. Xxx

He's not a massive fan of anything mushy unfortunately. He doesn't even like Banana!
He does get a wet chin but that's because he's got a fat dewlap and it dips in the bowl :oops: No drooling or lumps and bumps that I can feel but I don't really know what I'm looking for... I'm guessing Molly would have picked up on any though. At the moment he does seem to be prefering softer strands of hay and fresh herbs which is one of the reasons that I think it could be something teeth related. He picks food up and drops it again too.
Thank you, I'm trying!

I nipped home to do his meds (I actually went to work) and I was terrified to walk through the door but he we actually pretty bright. He was sitting up and then when I went into the other room he followed me. I'm taking this as a good sign because he hasn't been very active. Also, when I tried to get him for his meds he thumped and growled at me! Good boy!
I'm wondering if us actually leaving him alone for a few hours has done him some good but it's so hard because when Bill was poorly I was just like this. I couldn't sleep, I stayed with him etc and when he was in the out of hours vets I was ringing every two hours. Literally as soon as I closed my eyes I got the phonecall to say I'd lost him. Worst moment of my life to date and I'm so worried that as soon as I leave Sy it will happen again ��
I've just finished my shift and I've been to check on him and again he seems brighter. Hopefully the metacam is helping him too :)

I nipped home to do his meds (I actually went to work) and I was terrified to walk through the door but he we actually pretty bright. He was sitting up and then when I went into the other room he followed me. I'm taking this as a good sign because he hasn't been very active. Also, when I tried to get him for his meds he thumped and growled at me! Good boy!
I'm wondering if us actually leaving him alone for a few hours has done him some good but it's so hard because when Bill was poorly I was just like this. I couldn't sleep, I stayed with him etc and when he was in the out of hours vets I was ringing every two hours. Literally as soon as I closed my eyes I got the phonecall to say I'd lost him. Worst moment of my life to date and I'm so worried that as soon as I leave Sy it will happen again ��
I've just finished my shift and I've been to check on him and again he seems brighter. Hopefully the metacam is helping him too :)

I'm really glad to hear this :D

It's hard, you've such memories that are heartbreaking, but Sy seems to be doing well, and I hope it's something as straight forward as his teeth. I'm so glad you've got Molly on your side.

Lots of vibes!!

Back