• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New strand of VHD in UK? Please Advise.

IndigoRabbit

New Kit
Hi,

I'm really sad to say that I've lost my two best friends within 24 hours. They were my only friends and they've helped me through so much and I just couldn't help them in the end. They were fine one minute and then they were fitting and were gone. When the second one started acting like the one that had just died, I rushed him to the vet and all that was different about him was his eyes had changed from blue to a reddish brown colour and he wasn't eating or drinking. The vet checked him over and told me everything was in order (temperature, gut, heart rate, breathing, and any discharge from nose or bottom) and that maybe he just wasn't eating because the other rabbit had died. But in the night he got a lot worse and so I rushed him to the vet and as we drew up the car he too began fitting. The vet said the best thing to do was put him down and I agreed because I just wanted him to be out of his misery. When the vet came back she explained to me that she thought they'd both had VHD because their symptoms fitted (not much obviously wrong, sudden worsening of condition, fitting, and eyes changing colour), but I was so confused because I researched this before I got them and gave them both the vaccine to specifically avoid this happening and my rabbits were indoor netherlands so they wouldn't have much exposure. She said it could travel really easily just in the air. And then she said there was a new strand of VHD from Europe and that they weren't sure whether the usual vaccine could protect against.
After a few days of crying, I think I've come to the conclusion that it would be best to adopt another pair from a rescue centre. Not to replace my beautiful rabbits, of course (this would be impossible), but because I desperately need a friend to give my love to and I really want love in return. Naturally, though, I am terrified they would be infected by something similar (or the same) and I'd lose more best friends.
So I was wondering if anybody could tell me the situation on VHD at the moment in the UK? I live in Cumbria in the countryside. I've also noticed that there have been hardly any wild bunnies this year, so I wonder whether there's a real problem with it at the minute. Also, I would be so glad if someone could tell me if there is anything I could do to protect a future rabbit/s from the same fate because I really can't lose another friend.

Thank you so much, I hope you can help.

P.S, Don't worry about me rushing out and getting another rabbit immediately and putting it in an environment still infected. I would never do that. Maybe you could advise me as to how to clean my house of the virus too? Thanks.

I am so sorry :(

Yes there is a new strain on VHD called VHD2 or RHD2 (RHD and VHD are interchangeable really as they are different acronyms for the same illness.)

The good news is there is a vaccine available for the new strain... The bad news is that it is very hard to get unless you have a very good rabbit vet nearby. The new vaccine covered both VHD illnesses I believe but they also still need the combi VHD/myxi vaccine to cover them for myxi. The vaccines are normally given a few weeks apart to allow for full immune responses to both vaccines.

The other thing I would worry about is that VHD is very hard to clean out of a hutch, if you lost both rabbits to VHD I would be wary of putting more rabbits in their old hutch, especially if they haven't been vaccinated for vhd2 yet. I may be a bit over cautious there but as you know it is a horrendous illness :(

I would use a strong pet disinfectant such as virkon or even diluted bleach to clean, making sure to rinse very very thoroughly as obviously they are strong cleaners.

Hele, Thank you so much for replying.

I agree about the hutches: you can't be too over-cautious. We've disposed of them.
Thank you for all the information. I didn't know that VHD2 existed unfortunately, although I really was thorough in my research.
Luckily, the vet I see is very kind and has been very good with both my rabbits and so I really hope she'll be able to help.
I'll use that to disinfect floor spaces they've been on. Does it come in a spray can so you can also disinfect the air?

Thanks so much. Your bunnies are very cute. :)

Last edited:
If you are re-using anything (housing, toys, bowls, bottles, cleaning equipment, etc), I would give it a good scrub with soapy warm water to get rid of any surface dirt, rinse with fresh water and soak or swab out with Virkon. Leave it to air dry, preferably in sunshine (good luck at this time of year!). Small items can be easily soaked in a bucket for a few hours / overnight anyway. I've left some bigger items soaking in Virkon in the bath before.

I would definitely recommend getting any other rabbits you take on vaccinated against the usual myxo / VHD and the new VHD2. You need to find somewhere that has the VHD2 vaccine and leave 2 or 3 weeks between. It normally takes a couple of weeks for immunity to develop after vaccination.

You can get Virkon S on Amazon etc. It comes as a 1kg bucket of powder, sachets of powder or tablets. Just dissolve in water. It is pink in colour and has a nice fresh smell. It is used on farms (eg for Foot and Mouth outbreaks), at vets, etc. It can also be used in the washing machine for contaminated towels, blankets, clothes.

I'm sorry that you have lost both your bunnies so unexpectedly
Whilst not all vets have the RHD2 vaccine in, they can order it in for you or can you phone around and find a vet that can supply it
Adopting a bonded pair from a rescue is an excellent idea, they will be neutered, have been vaccinated for the combined mixi/RHD1 and may even have had the new RHD2 vaccination ( you will need to clarify the this with the rescue)
I hope all goes well

I am so sorry you have lost your bunnies, it is very heartbreaking. I would imagine if you were to adopt 2 more rabbits which were vaccinated already from Myxo/RHD and RHD2 you wouldn't need to wait very long. Bunnies do make wonderful pets, and best friends.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm really sad to say that I've lost my two best friends within 24 hours. They were my only friends and they've helped me through so much and I just couldn't help them in the end. They were fine one minute and then they were fitting and were gone. When the second one started acting like the one that had just died, I rushed him to the vet and all that was different about him was his eyes had changed from blue to a reddish brown colour and he wasn't eating or drinking. The vet checked him over and told me everything was in order (temperature, gut, heart rate, breathing, and any discharge from nose or bottom) and that maybe he just wasn't eating because the other rabbit had died. But in the night he got a lot worse and so I rushed him to the vet and as we drew up the car he too began fitting. The vet said the best thing to do was put him down and I agreed because I just wanted him to be out of his misery. When the vet came back she explained to me that she thought they'd both had VHD because their symptoms fitted (not much obviously wrong, sudden worsening of condition, fitting, and eyes changing colour), but I was so confused because I researched this before I got them and gave them both the vaccine to specifically avoid this happening and my rabbits were indoor netherlands so they wouldn't have much exposure. She said it could travel really easily just in the air. And then she said there was a new strand of VHD from Europe and that they weren't sure whether the usual vaccine could protect against.
After a few days of crying, I think I've come to the conclusion that it would be best to adopt another pair from a rescue centre. Not to replace my beautiful rabbits, of course (this would be impossible), but because I desperately need a friend to give my love to and I really want love in return. Naturally, though, I am terrified they would be infected by something similar (or the same) and I'd lose more best friends.
So I was wondering if anybody could tell me the situation on VHD at the moment in the UK? I live in Cumbria in the countryside. I've also noticed that there have been hardly any wild bunnies this year, so I wonder whether there's a real problem with it at the minute. Also, I would be so glad if someone could tell me if there is anything I could do to protect a future rabbit/s from the same fate because I really can't lose another friend.

Thank you so much, I hope you can help.

P.S, Don't worry about me rushing out and getting another rabbit immediately and putting it in an environment still infected. I would never do that. Maybe you could advise me as to how to clean my house of the virus too? Thanks.

Hi Indigo Rabbit and I am so sorry for your losses :(

There is a thread concerning just what you mention - the RHD2:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?456446-RHD2-Vaccine-*UPDATED*-26TH-October-2016

There's a lot in there, and you will also see posts by Santa. She has set up an online database of cases and vets who have the vaccine available:

http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk

I am so sorry you have been through this. You are not alone. Please keep posting and if we can help at all, we are here :)

Shimmer, Thank you so much for all that. I think I am way too scared to reuse bottles, and I hear anything wooden is hard to get scent and infection out of. But I will definitely wash all my clothes with it and I think I might reuse the bowls in the way you suggested.
Of course I will vaccinate any future rabbits. I had vaccinated my other two with the usual myxo/VHD. I'm so sad that I just didn't know about VHD2. Which makes me think... Are there any other illnesses that I can vaccinate them against that aren't as usually recommended?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
MightyMax, thank you so much for all your kind thoughts. It feels good to know there are people out there who understand and I'm so grateful that this forum is so kind and helpful. My rabbits were quite young, which makes it worse, but I really did give them everything I could.

Horace the Bold, Oh, it's good that you can order it in.
I'm glad you think my idea of adopting a pair from a rescue is a good idea. I've loved having two bunnies. I couldn't have imagined how different their personalities would be!

tonibun, they really do. I'm glad I wouldn't need to wait very long, but I will be absolutely certain I'm choosing absolutely the right pair before I adopt.
Thanks so much.

MightyMax, thank you so much for all your kind thoughts. It feels good to know there are people out there who understand and I'm so grateful that this forum is so kind and helpful. My rabbits were quite young, which makes it worse, but I really did give them everything I could.

You are so welcome :wave:

Post anytime and we'll do our very best to help you :)

Back