• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey now had a red spot develop on his eye lid???

Honestly thanks both!

Jane it's good to know you've had experience and it's not as awful as it sounds, I'm just really weary as poor Harvey had bad eyes and I know how stubborn his ulcers were and painful too! :(

Well I had a go this morning and he hates it with a passion! I think It is hurting him as he let out a wimper which really upset me. Well actually just popped back to see him and it's looking ever so slightly more white? Is this bad or good?

Not sure, but could be a sign it's coming to a head ? Maybe the compress helped to do this, hope so anyway. Poor little Bailey xx

Honestly thanks both!

Jane it's good to know you've had experience and it's not as awful as it sounds, I'm just really weary as poor Harvey had bad eyes and I know how stubborn his ulcers were and painful too! :(

Well I had a go this morning and he hates it with a passion! I think It is hurting him as he let out a wimper which really upset me. Well actually just popped back to see him and it's looking ever so slightly more white? Is this bad or good?

Yes it's a good sign. Ring the vet in the morning and let them know the progress :)

Honestly thanks both!

How's Bailey's eye looking this morning Ruth ?

Morning guys,

Honestly thanks for all this, it looks like it has discharged a little bit this morning as he has a little amount of white liquid right on the edge of his eye which I have wiped away. To be fair, it's still red and the same size, so at least it hasn't got any worse.

So am I basically hoping that all the puss will come out? And then it will go down like a spot we can have? Xx

Morning guys,

Honestly thanks for all this, it looks like it has discharged a little bit this morning as he has a little amount of white liquid right on the edge of his eye which I have wiped away. To be fair, it's still red and the same size, so at least it hasn't got any worse.

So am I basically hoping that all the puss will come out? And then it will go down like a spot we can have? Xx

It may do but sometimes the pus can be rock solid and therefore it may be necessary for the Vet to make a tiny incision in it. The pus usually then comes out in one big lump. With a few days of abx eye drops the problem usually completely resolves. It is no-where near as nasty as Harvey's eye problem was xx

Morning guys,

Hi there Ruth!

Yes it may or may not all come out (just like with our spots as you say). When he has his ear flush the vet can easily remove the rest of it which may be easier on his little eye (and your nerves) xx

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your help, well tonight we actually had some pus come out.. It was horrible and like you say very thick and hard. I managed to move it however there is clearly still some in there!

Now my question is, do I keep it up trying to get it out.. Or should he really be on some anti-biotic eye drops to help? Of course I'll speak to the vets tomorrow but I've raided my cupboard and have some remend and fulthamic eye drops! (Although not sure if they are still in date)

Anyways sorry for the minging picture but he's an update as of tonight;

All the pus is out! ;)

It's very red looking but at least that's all the pus out for now, will have to wait and see what the morning brings! He's now having a well deserved treat! :love:

Can't advise, but to me it looks like it's gone down quite a bit, and doesn't look so red and angry. Maybe a warm compress would help to bring more gunge out ?

All the pus is out! ;)

It's very red looking but at least that's all the pus out for now, will have to wait and see what the morning brings! He's now having a well deserved treat! :love:

Amazing Ruth!

I should ring the vet in the morning to deliver the news, and ask whether you should use any of the ointments you already have in his eye, or if he needs a new one. May not need any!!

Brilliant work :D

All the pus is out! ;)

That's great. I'd give the Vet a call and let them know and also ask if it would be wise to apply some Isathal to his eye for 5-7 days xx

Hi, aww thanks everyone!

Little sod knows when I'm looking at it now & shakes his head so I can't see it!

I was so pleased with myself last night, but since coming home at lunch, I can see some more pus has developed & its back white. Not as much as there was, but defo some pus back in there! :(

I have also called the vet and they are due to call me back shortly xx

Hi, aww thanks everyone!

Little sod knows when I'm looking at it now & shakes his head so I can't see it!

I was so pleased with myself last night, but since coming home at lunch, I can see some more pus has developed & its back white. Not as much as there was, but defo some pus back in there! :(

I have also called the vet and they are due to call me back shortly xx

Yes I thought that may have happened. Hope the vet doesn't keep you waiting this time :D

Well this was it at lunch time..

But I've come home and it's shower more pus and it's kind of got a yellow tint to it!! I'm thinking this can't be good??! :cry:

Ps still waiting for the vet to call.. So I've just called again and asked for a call back

Last edited:
Okay so vets have called me back.. They want to see him, do a culture and then start him on some anti-biotics, can't guarantee that eye drops will work so may have to have oral ones. But they have to be careful with treatment of his ear infection too! :cry:

I'll book him in for Saturday but I'm hoping we can keep it at bay until then! Xx

Okay so vets have called me back.. They want to see him, do a culture and then start him on some anti-biotics, can't guarantee that eye drops will work so may have to have oral ones. But they have to be careful with treatment of his ear infection too! :cry:

I'll book him in for Saturday but I'm hoping we can keep it at bay until then! Xx

Sending you loads of vibes Ruth. Things keep on happening and you need to keep your strength :)

What did the vet advise you to do in the meantime? Compresses and now eye drops?

Back