• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sparky :(

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Hi there

I posted about a week or so ago that I was concerned about Harley and Sparky's enthusiasm for nuggets.

Sparky is 12 years and 8 months and is a Netherlands dwarf Rex cross.

A few years back he lost his balance and use of his hind legs after having what looked like a seizure but we think it was him rolling and panicking. He had a negative EC test but we treated him with panache just to be sure as well as treating for an inner ear infection. After lots of intensive TLC he made nearly a full recovery. One his back legs however only got back to 90%. He does have quite bad cataracts in both eyes but the vet has said there isn’t anything they can do.

Other than my concern about his enthusiasm for nuggets, but they are all eaten by the following day everything else is normal. There are rolled up towels are everywhere for him as if he feels he’s going to lose his balance he uses them to right himself.

This morning I noticed his head was swaying and he just didn’t look right then he started spinning once he stopped I gently picked him up and sat down with him. He’s using my lap as security and to right himself but his back leg is sticking out and the opposite front leg is sticking out as well and he can’t seem to move.

He’s booked in with our rabbit savvy vet at 2pm but I am just so scared because of his age and his other health issues about what this will all mean.

I want to give him a fighting chance so will be asking for panacur, metacam, an antibiotic - he was given baytril before but I know there is some debate about it's effectiveness as well as some ear drops and maybe some anti-dizzy meds.

I can't face losing him not after everything that we've gone through this year.

I'm so sorry Sparky is having a big wobble, I really hope the vets can help him &pleased your savvy vets were able to offer a prompt appointment

Oh no sending vibes for Sparky!

Hopefully the vets will get you sorted with all the meds needed.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sending lots of positive vibes. I had a bunny head scan and circle who recovered after treatment with abx for middle ear infection.

Update on Sparky.

It seems that it is an ear infection.

He really hated his ears being played with and the scope being put in.

The more his ears were played with the more unbalanced he became-last time he had balance issues it was an ear infection.

He will be on Metacam and marcylobel (sp) for the next 10 days and if no improvement then they will take a swab.

I know with middle/inner ear disease it’s best to have a scan but given his age I don’t want to risk him having a GA so will see how it goes with the meds.

They are what he had before which he made almost a full recovery with so fingers crossed!

Agree he may need longer than 10 days but they have given us 10 days worth and he will be back in for a check up around 30 December and may be more medication prescribed or a different one depending on how he is getting on.

I'm sorry he has an ear infection but pleased you know whats going on & he has a treatment plan. Hoping Sparky does well :love:

I’m pleased that your vet has a diagnosis and sparky is on treatment quickly.
With Xmas in just under a weeks time, I’m also of the view that perhaps a slightly longer period of antibiotics given places will be closed, would be better - to sweep away fully any reminants of infection.
Sending vibes for sparky. Xx

Back