• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh help! New buns have started chasing after vet visit!

capable

Mama Doe
Hi all, if you saw my into thread you'll know I took on a pair of 3 year old, unneutered brothers from awful conditions on Thursday night.

There's a chunky bun (William), and a skinny bun (Jack), and both were severely matted around their rears - Jack more so than William. They went to the vet this morning to be sedated in order to clip off the matts, I brought them home this afternoon. I went to feed them this evening, and noticed Jack running off when William approached him, and then saw William mount Jack and hump for a few seconds. I'm stressing that they'll start to fight, and the vet advised not to neuter until Jack has gained some more weight. I'm also wondering if this has been their usual behaviour, or if it was brought on by the change of environment, or possibly the vet visit? All weekend William has been the shy one, following Jack's lead and hiding behind him, they've eaten and snuggled together, and neither had signs of injury.

I don't know what to do! I could split them (I've still got the 4ft hutch that they came with), but I've only got the 1 run. Would it be possible to neuter and reintroduce? They've both had quite a lot of fur removed, and they'll be chilly (Jack especially) if they won't cuddle together!

Even if they aren't neutered? William is being rather relentless, and I worry about Jack being so thin. William will lie down for a while, while Jack sits at a distance, then follows him again. Ive made sure there's two of things - water supplies, hard feed and plenty of hay piles.

It's very difficult to advise in your situation as I am very surprised that they haven't fought up until now and so "normal behaviour" probably doesn't apply with your two.

I think it is possible that the change in circumstances and now additionally the vet visit might have sparked something in them, but again it might just be asserting dominance again.

I know I would be extremely nervous that they were going to fight and the problem is that if they do, it will very likely mean that they will not re-bond after neutering as they will remember the fight.

It would be possible to split them and then re-introduce and that would be the safer option. Do you have any indication how long the vet wants to wait before he will neuter them both?

To update this morning - I checked on them periodically through the evening, and the behaviour calmed down and the humping stopped. They stayed together overnight, and this morning we're eating happily together. William was holding one eye a little closed, I suspect he might've caught it chasing Jack around. I was going to bathe it a little in cooled, boiled water, with a little salt? They're going for vaccinations on Monday, and I'll see when they can be neutered.

I'm glad they had a peaceful night and as regards his eye I would leave it as this is nature's way of healing, keeping it half shut. You should see an improvement in a day or 2. If not then try bathing it.

Back