• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A difficult decision (pts)

SJ 94

New Kit
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I have read posts before.

I have a 9 year old bunny, she has been ill recently with urinating lots and losing weight. The vet suspects she has a problem with her kidneys and thinks it would be best for her to be put to sleep before she ends up in lots of pain.

Apart from weeing lots she outwardly seems herself, she is eating and drinking and exercising too. She still seems bright and content and I'm having such a difficult time around the thought of having her pts.

She was a rescue rabbit who was in a bad way and I know that it is amazing that she has lived as long as she has. She fought to live then and I know she will fight until the end but I don't want her to suffer. I just want to make the right decision for her but I'm just really struggling right now, i dont know what to do for the best.

Thank you for reading.

I'm sorry she's not well :cry:

I think PTS should be a simple choice (in a sense of you know it's right for your animal, it'll never be easy to say goodbye).

I believe you'll know when she's ready simply by looking in her eyes. She'll lose that 'spark'.

If she's still happy and doing things normally I'd let her continue. It doesn't sound like she's in pain etc so she should continue to enjoy life if she were mine.

Have you discussed treatments with your vet to help slow the progression?

You'll know when the time is right, and reading what you've posted, it doesn't sound like the time is right.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that your rabbit is ill.

If your vet suspects kidney failure, they can check with a simple blood test (not normally requiring sedation). It will give a general idea if her health status and any liver or kidney issues. You could also get a urine sample checked by the vet / vet nurse for possible infection, sludge, kidney function, etc via a simple dipstick test which takes a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, has she had any medication eg antibiotics (eg baytril)?
EC is also worth considering - it's a parasite which affects a lot of rabbits and is easily treated (although it takes 28 days of Panacur - available without prescription). There is information on various threads on this site.

Weight loss is not unusual in older rabbits. Weekly weight checks will enable you to monitor it and act if there are significant changes. Teeth problems may also mean that she isn't eating as well as usual - her back teeth can be checked with an otoscope next time she has a check up. Dietary changes such as junior pellets can help with weight maintenance (assuming kidneys are OK as they have higher protein, which will stress kidneys).

It seems a little presumptive to assume kidney failure with no evidence other than weight loss and excessive urination, unless the physical examination has shown something abnormal. I would want to have at least had a urine check, preferably a blood screen, and discussed any possible medication or diet changes. PTS is always an option, but if she is happy and eating, pooing, moving etc as normal, I would, personally, investigate other options as well and see how she does over the next few weeks. As you are aware of her normal habits, you will know when she is starting to suffer and it is time to consider PTS. Otherwise, talk to your vet about all the options available and continue to do your best for her.

I have nothing to add to daphnephoebe and Shimmer's post, which I also agree with. I think there should be other things to try at the moment. And importantly it doesn't sound as though she is in pain.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I have read posts before.

I have a 9 year old bunny, she has been ill recently with urinating lots and losing weight. The vet suspects she has a problem with her kidneys and thinks it would be best for her to be put to sleep before she ends up in lots of pain.

Apart from weeing lots she outwardly seems herself, she is eating and drinking and exercising too. She still seems bright and content and I'm having such a difficult time around the thought of having her pts.

She was a rescue rabbit who was in a bad way and I know that it is amazing that she has lived as long as she has. She fought to live then and I know she will fight until the end but I don't want her to suffer. I just want to make the right decision for her but I'm just really struggling right now, i dont know what to do for the best.

Thank you for reading.

Welcome to the Forum SJ :wave:

First off, nine is not *that* old for a rabbit. If I were you I would request a full blood panel from your vet, to assess whether the kidneys are in good working order. Losing weight can be due to a number of reasons - including dental! Get the vet to check the teeth, although it's not easy to completely assess the back teeth without a GA.

I wouldn't be trying to get my head around PTS with a bright bunny. I would be thinking what's going on here, and if you have to administer 'palliative care' (i.e. meds, extra food etc...) then that's the route I would take.

You could also ask the vet about beginning a course of Panacur - 28 days to combat E.C. That may also help with the kidney issues.

Do you think you need to get a second opinion, or maybe even change your vet? You can easily go elsewhere to anyone you choose, at any time, without referral.

If you need help finding a savvy vet in your area, post another threat in Rabbit Chat, with the headline "Savvy vet needed in ..(your location)"

Lots of good luck :D

Sorry to hear that your rabbit is ill.

If your vet suspects kidney failure, they can check with a simple blood test (not normally requiring sedation). It will give a general idea if her health status and any liver or kidney issues. You could also get a urine sample checked by the vet / vet nurse for possible infection, sludge, kidney function, etc via a simple dipstick test which takes a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, has she had any medication eg antibiotics (eg baytril)?
EC is also worth considering - it's a parasite which affects a lot of rabbits and is easily treated (although it takes 28 days of Panacur - available without prescription). There is information on various threads on this site.

Weight loss is not unusual in older rabbits. Weekly weight checks will enable you to monitor it and act if there are significant changes. Teeth problems may also mean that she isn't eating as well as usual - her back teeth can be checked with an otoscope next time she has a check up. Dietary changes such as junior pellets can help with weight maintenance (assuming kidneys are OK as they have higher protein, which will stress kidneys).

It seems a little presumptive to assume kidney failure with no evidence other than weight loss and excessive urination, unless the physical examination has shown something abnormal. I would want to have at least had a urine check, preferably a blood screen, and discussed any possible medication or diet changes. PTS is always an option, but if she is happy and eating, pooing, moving etc as normal, I would, personally, investigate other options as well and see how she does over the next few weeks. As you are aware of her normal habits, you will know when she is starting to suffer and it is time to consider PTS. Otherwise, talk to your vet about all the options available and continue to do your best for her.

Ditto to all of the above. If you let us know your approximate geographical location then someone on here may be able to recommend a more 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet for you if you feel your Vet is not too well informed about Rabbits.

There are some Client Recommended Vets on this link :

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/copy_of_county-or-city/england

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund also have a list of Rabbit Savvy Vets :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Back