• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much critical care?

Thanks for your pm re forage.
I really do feel for you with a bloat stasis bun & well understand the worry, because you have to move so fast on it.
I gained the impression that Sylar has had bloat stasis before? How many times & is there more than 3 months between episodes?

I use the SS one which comes with a 15 ml syringe, I find when I make up the paste it's usually between 10-15 ml that I've made.

Fluffy has been having that for the last 3 days now at approx 3 - 4 hour intervals with the exception of night time when I'm asleep, I'm hoping she decides to nibble whilst I'm sleeping.

Thanks for your pm re forage.
I really do feel for you with a bloat stasis bun & well understand the worry, because you have to move so fast on it.
I gained the impression that Sylar has had bloat stasis before? How many times & is there more than 3 months between episodes?

I've had a look through previous posts and these seem to be the dates that I can find...

2nd June
25th August
26th September - teeth had a few spurs so he had a dental on the 28th
11th October
21st October
20th November - This was the bad one, usually he has guy meds and he gets over it pretty quickly. This time it took 4 days of intensive nursing :(

Before that I'm not too sure. He has had stasis episodes but very few and far between. Once maybe twice before? Definitely not anything between Feb-June. He was never poorly at the same time as Hiro.
Xxx

I've had a look through previous posts and these seem to be the dates that I can find...

2nd June
25th August
26th September - teeth had a few spurs so he had a dental on the 28th
11th October
21st October
20th November - This was the bad one, usually he has guy meds and he gets over it pretty quickly. This time it took 4 days of intensive nursing :(

Before that I'm not too sure. He has had stasis episodes but very few and far between. Once maybe twice before? Definitely not anything between Feb-June. He was never poorly at the same time as Hiro.
Xxx

Thankyou for the info. That's really helpful. What a nightmare for you though.
IMO he can't afford to have any fruit at all, re human veg avoid the cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts (brassica family) known to produce gas. Ideally, when you can get it, forage, fresh herbs + hay only diet will help alot. Some can be bought on the internet.

Another good start is a trip to the local allotment introduce yourself to the plot owners & ask their permission to get some weeds from their plot for your sick rabbit - I'd pull up a few weeds I didn't need in return! (You need to know the difference between weeds & young veg for this. Good guide is common sense - the veg grows in horizontal lines!!) You can usually get plenty of chickweed, & some dandelions on allotments. All depends on how much they weed them!
The allotment holders were lovely to me, greeted me with smiles & waves, asking how my rabbit was etc.
Brambles are a good start at this time of year.

Until then we wait for the ultrasound.

Last edited:
Thankyou for the info. That's really helpful. What a nightmare for you though.
IMO he can't afford to have any fruit at all, re human veg avoid the cabbage, kale, brussels sprouts (brassica family) known to produce gas. Ideally, when you can get it, forage, fresh herbs + hay only diet will help alot. Some can be bought on the internet.

Another good start is a trip to the local allotment introduce yourself to the plot owners & ask their permission to get some weeds from their plot for your sick rabbit - I'd pull up a few weeds I didn't need in return! (You need to know the difference between weeds & young veg for this. Good guide is common sense - the veg grows in horizontal lines!!) You can usually get plenty of chickweed, & some dandelions on allotments. All depends on how much they weed them!
The allotment holders were lovely to me, greeted me with smiles & waves, asking how my rabbit was etc.
Brambles are a good start at this time of year.

Until then we wait for the ultrasound.

Thank you. He doesn't really get any fruit except for the occasional blueberry so that should be pretty easy to cut out completely. He LOVES Kale though so he might be a bit cross about that but I'll definitely give it a go.
Great suggestion regarding the allotments. I haven't got a clue where my nearest one is but I do have a customer at the pub that I work out that has a plot and she is always bringing other customers free stuff in so I'm sure that she won't mind if I pop along and grab some weeds! This might be a silly question but once I've got them what do I do with them? Do I need to wash/dry them or can I give them straight out of the ground?
Xx

Thank you. He doesn't really get any fruit except for the occasional blueberry so that should be pretty easy to cut out completely. He LOVES Kale though so he might be a bit cross about that but I'll definitely give it a go.
Great suggestion regarding the allotments. I haven't got a clue where my nearest one is but I do have a customer at the pub that I work out that has a plot and she is always bringing other customers free stuff in so I'm sure that she won't mind if I pop along and grab some weeds! This might be a silly question but once I've got them what do I do with them? Do I need to wash/dry them or can I give them straight out of the ground?
Xx

Not silly at all. If they're muddy I wash the soil off & dry them off but give fresh. Benjie is fussy with brambles & prefers them dethorned & crispy dry which happens quickly in a warm room, but many buns take them fresh. You'll need stout scissors to get them. May need gardening gloves. Watch the long stems - if they catch your cloths , they curve towards the bush (helps to set you free). Try offering fresh. Dethorning - cut individual leafs off stalk. wrap a piece of cloth round your index finger start at the top of the leaf & firmly stroke down. A thimble is an alternative unless you've got tough finger tips like mine!
You'll be surprised how much most stasis rabbits like them.
Good foraging

Thank you so much.
Thinking about it, we may actually have a bramble shrub at the back end of the car park at work. One of my elderly customers regularly goes up to it and picks off the berries to eat. I will have to ask him what it is exactly and look at some pictures to compare. I've never really paid attention to it before but it could be useful!

If he's picking off berries to eat, & it has long thorny stems, (leaves arranged in clumps of 5 on individual stalks) it's a bramble. I'd wash the leaves, & let them dry off - OK for tonight but better to find a bush not close to car fumes. They grow on hedges which aren't regularly tended, probably the allotment border has some, old cemetary or church yard hedge. Also make thickets of low bushes on waste land, cycle tracks or old railway lines are sometimes good.
I realise you're in a city. I grew up 1/2 way between the Potteries (when there were the old bottle kilns & thriving industry!) & Derby. A give away that I'm getting geriatric!:lol:

I'm at work so I had a little look. No berries on it now (time of year?) and it's dark and very rainy but took some photos. Not sure how clear they are though!
It's a church car park so it's mostly pretty quiet, could get some from the back if I need to :)

Oh wow!
Maybe there is an inner forager in me after all :lol:
Thank you :) I will get some gardening scissors and attack it tomorrow! Xx

Our buns quite happily eat brambles leaves fresh, without removing the thorns. Although occasionally they eat the fleshy part of the leaf leaving the thorny section for me to knee on when I go in their pen [emoji46]

My rabbits also don't get them without thorns and happily munch away :love: Your rabbits are in for a treat. Those Brambles look good.

I'm at work so I had a little look. No berries on it now (time of year?) and it's dark and very rainy but took some photos. Not sure how clear they are though!
It's a church car park so it's mostly pretty quiet, could get some from the back if I need to :)

They look lovely juicy brambles :)

I'm quite excited now! I've never really paid much attention to whats around me. Behind my local Asda there is quite a lot of wild wasteland so I might have a look down there on Monday because I remember seeing a cyclist picking and eating berries there a few weeks ago!

So all I need to do is take some gardening scissors and cut off a few branches? I can give them the whole thing? Xxx

I'm quite excited now! I've never really paid much attention to whats around me. Behind my local Asda there is quite a lot of wild wasteland so I might have a look down there on Monday because I remember seeing a cyclist picking and eating berries there a few weeks ago!

So all I need to do is take some gardening scissors and cut off a few branches? I can give them the whole thing? Xxx

Yes and yes :D

I would take something tough to put or wrap them in - they will tear a standard plastic carrier. Old rabbit pellet bags, or something like a paper potato sack, or a box will work well. If you are doing branches, I suggest putting them on a flat bag as you pick them and just roll it up, then put the whole thing in a carrier bag. Then it's easier to sort them out when you get home.

Back