• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chloe - Arthritis/ Tramadol dose?

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
Another thread - sorry!

I have just spoken to the vet whom confirmed Chloe has arthritis in all her joints. It comes as no surprise as she's had quite a few issues with her legs over the last few months.

I've no experience with arthritic buns, is there anything I can do to help her?

Last edited:
Awwwww nooooo!! Poor thing :(

I think a friend of mine used to feed various things to help. Am I remembering ginger as being helpful here?

Awwwww nooooo!! Poor thing :(

I think a friend of mine used to feed various things to help. Am I remembering ginger as being helpful here?

I just can't wait to get her home! It's been an awful week for her. I believe I will be getting Tramadol for her but there must be other ways to make life a little easier for her mustn't there? I'm just reading through this http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html , I shall order the joint hay tabs :)

I just can't wait to get her home! It's been an awful week for her. I believe I will be getting Tramadol for her but there must be other ways to make life a little easier for her mustn't there? I'm just reading through this http://www.disabledrabbits.com/arthritis.html , I shall order the joint hay tabs :)

I can't believe is missed all of this! :cry:

The tablets sound good. I see they contain ginger and lots of other good sounding stuff. Tramadol doesn't sound great to me :(

I can't believe is missed all of this! :cry:

The tablets sound good. I see they contain ginger and lots of other good sounding stuff. Tramadol doesn't sound great to me :(

I know hopefully it's only a little dose, will see what her vet notes say as my dad will be going to collect her shortly.

I'd try metacam to begin with, then move up to tramadol as it progresses.

If she likes to jump up on high things, provide her 'steps' she can use which should make risk of falling less likely.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'd also make sure there's no slippery flooring and/or try some vet bed or something to make grip (particularly for jumping) easier.

I'm sorry to see that Chloe has Arthritis :( How old is Chloe? I think that acupuncture can also be helpful. I think I have seen that some rabbits on here have had it with good results. Sending her lots of nose rubs. Poor gorgeous Chloe :(

Acupuncture/physio and massage can be very beneficial for some arthritic Rabbits. Obviously not if the specific Rabbit gets stressed by being handled.

Making sure that they do not become over-weight will be important too.

If they have problems hopping into a litter tray then you can use a drop sided tray.

The Rabbit may need help with grooming and ear checks will be important. Any hind leg weakness/stiffness can make it hard for a Rabbit to keep themselves clean and gunky ears are one possibility. If the Bun cannot get to their rear end to eat their cecotrophs they may also be prone to getting a mucky bum

Sore hocks can be a secondary problem in arthritic Rabbits, so making sure the Rabbit is housed on a suitable substrate can help. Carpet can be abrasive, hard wood/vinyl/lino does not provide enough traction.

These links may be useful to take a look at:

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290501.asp

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

I've just remembered that Barney was actually diagnosed with arthritis not long before he died and I was told to add in a step next to his & Chloe's dog kennel and put plenty of vetbed everywhere, so that's covered.

Omi, she's 4 which I think means she's getting on a bit for a giant breed. One issue with the acupuncture is, I believe that the vet who does it is allergic to rabbits :shock: I can always ask about it though :)

Acupuncture/physio and massage can be very beneficial for some arthritic Rabbits. Obviously not if the specific Rabbit gets stressed by being handled.

Making sure that they do not become over-weight will be important too.

If they have problems hopping into a litter tray then you can use a drop sided tray.

The Rabbit may need help with grooming and ear checks will be important. Any hind leg weakness/stiffness can make it hard for a Rabbit to keep themselves clean and gunky ears are one possibility. If the Bun cannot get to their rear end to eat their cecotrophs they may also be prone to getting a mucky bum

Sore hocks can be a secondary problem in arthritic Rabbits, so making sure the Rabbit is housed on a suitable substrate can help. Carpet can be abrasive, hard wood/vinyl/lino does not provide enough traction.

These links may be useful to take a look at:

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290501.asp

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/Osteo/arthritis.htm

Thank you Jane :thumb::thumb:

I've just remembered that Barney was actually diagnosed with arthritis not long before he died and I was told to add in a step next to his & Chloe's dog kennel and put plenty of vetbed everywhere, so that's covered.

Omi, she's 4 which I think means she's getting on a bit for a giant breed. One issue with the acupuncture is, I believe that the vet who does it is allergic to rabbits :shock: I can always ask about it though :)

......and offer to provide the antihistamines !!

Another thread - sorry!

I have just spoken to the vet whom confirmed Chloe has arthritis in all her joints. It comes as no surprise as she's had quite a few issues with her legs over the last few months.

I've no experience with arthritic buns, is there anything I can do to help her?

Having used Metacam for many years for arthritis buns, I have to say I have found Tramadol to be more effective :D

I use a potting tray as a litter tray, and provide a very soft squishy bed to cosy those painful limbs :)

I also give a very good scratch around the ear area, which is always very much appreciated!

I have tried glucosamine and chondroitin, which has been helpful in some cases.

Good luck xx

Having used Metacam for many years for arthritis buns, I have to say I have found Tramadol to be more effective :D

I use a potting tray as a litter tray, and provide a very soft squishy bed to cosy those painful limbs :)

I also give a very good scratch around the ear area, which is always very much appreciated!

I have tried glucosamine and chondroitin, which has been helpful in some cases.

Good luck xx

The potting tray is a great idea thanks MM xx

Back