• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hind Leg Amputation

If he's sad and grieving, and you are happy to take on another rabbit, I would look straight away.

I have found that a rabbit who's lost a loving partner needs to have a reason to get out of bed in the morning, as it were, and I have bonded within a week of a partner passing away.

Has he seen her body and does he know she's not coming back? xx

I think I might start looking tomorrow. And unfortunately not, my Mum took the vets call and so told them to go ahead with cremation as she wasn't aware that her partner needed to see the body. He was there for the fox attack though, and saw her get taken/injured, so I hope that at least might have helped him understand :(

I think I might start looking tomorrow. And unfortunately not, my Mum took the vets call and so told them to go ahead with cremation as she wasn't aware that her partner needed to see the body. He was there for the fox attack though, and saw her get taken/injured, so I hope that at least might have helped him understand :(

Yes I'm sure he must've realised what was happening :cry:

Rabbits suffer terribly from shock, poor things. I have experienced two bad fox attacks, and it's the devil's own job to keep them from fading away from shock. You did everything you could.

I'm glad you'll be looking for another rabbit. Sending hugs xx

I am so very sorry :cry: I have lost a very loved chicken to a fox, so I can imagine the devastation you are feeling.

I am very sorry for your loss. :(

If you think her husbun is missing her badly, and needs a reason to 'keep going', it's fine to start looking for a new partner for him straight away. When Elphie lost her sister in January, I adopted 2 new friends for her the same day. She's a lot happier now (and part of a quad) but does get outcompeted for food by the younger buns sometimes.

I just caught up with this thread. I am so very sorry to hear this sad news. :( You did all you could and I'm sure Hazel knew how hard you were trying for her. I hope you can find someone for her partner that will cheer him and of course, I hope you both can recover from this very tragic event by supporting one another. ((((Hugs))))
Binky free Hazel. Sleep well and sweet dreams. xxxx

Thank you for all of the sweet words. Today I went to Pets at Home to pick up some pellets and ended up falling in love with one of their bunnies that they have up for adoption there. She's a Lionhead x Lop cross who I think was given up because she got too big for her previous owners--she's about nine months old so I wonder if she just passed the "tiny cute bunny" stage that PaH sells their buns at :( Anyway, you might see me asking bonding questions in the future while I settle her in!

Thanks again for all the kindness ❤️ RIP Hazel, my tiny angel.

Thank you for all of the sweet words. Today I went to Pets at Home to pick up some pellets and ended up falling in love with one of their bunnies that they have up for adoption there. She's a Lionhead x Lop cross who I think was given up because she got too big for her previous owners--she's about nine months old so I wonder if she just passed the "tiny cute bunny" stage that PaH sells their buns at :( Anyway, you might see me asking bonding questions in the future while I settle her in!

Thanks again for all the kindness ❤️ RIP Hazel, my tiny angel.

Run free beautiful Hazel :love:

I somehow feel she was looking down on you when you were at P@H. Helping you to think about moving on. Hard though it is xx

Back