• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Rabbit Mint

ShelbyS

New Kit
Hey guys, I have wild growing mint all over my backyard, and was curious if it would be ok to feed to my bun bun? I read on some articles that said it was ok, and others didn't have anything to say about it.

It's safe, but some bunnies take a long time to get used to the strong flavour so I'd start with just one leaf.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mine love mint. It can also be dried for winter forage - hang it in bunches with long stems to dry.

You call it wild mint, but I presume that it is just common mint, which has spread? If so, it will be fine. Mine love it too.

You're sure it's mint? I ask because I thought I had lemon balm growing wild all over my backyard once, but it smelled very minty. Lemon balm is in the mint family so I thought that made sense. Turns out it was Hyptis mutabilis (= Cantinoa mutabilis), tropical bushmint though.

Just thought I'd mention it in case!

When ever we gave Poppy mint she would get 'crazy eye', which used to happen when she was super excited about something she was eating :lol: Mint was her favourite. Raggy will eat pretty much anything, but he also likes mint :) As far as I'm aware, mint spreads like wildfire, so it may have been planted by someone a long time ago (I've got a small plant in my kitchen right now that I really want to grow into a bush in our garden)

When ever we gave Poppy mint she would get 'crazy eye', which used to happen when she was super excited about something she was eating :lol: Mint was her favourite. Raggy will eat pretty much anything, but he also likes mint :) As far as I'm aware, mint spreads like wildfire, so it may have been planted by someone a long time ago (I've got a small plant in my kitchen right now that I really want to grow into a bush in our garden)

Come round mine. I've got it growing crazy in the back & front garden, you're welcome to take it with you! I keep mowing it when I mow the lawn and it smells so lovely!

Hey guys, I have wild growing mint all over my backyard, and was curious if it would be ok to feed to my bun bun? I read on some articles that said it was ok, and others didn't have anything to say about it.

Yes mint is fine :wave:

You can also feed lemon balm, which some refer to as lemon mint :D

My 2 buns will do anything for lemon balm! Let us know if they like the mint, if so I'll plant some in my herb garden for bunny snacks.

Mint is very good for their tummies :) (and in fact the pellets which mine are currently on have mint in them). Mine absolutely love it, which is why they have decimated my 2 mint plants within days, grrrr :lol:

Back