• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding a variety of grasses

William

Wise Old Thumper
I usually see people say that whatever grass that's growing in your garden is safe to feed to your bunnies. I have a several different types of grasses in my yard and I'm not sure what kinds they all are so I've been feeding them a lot of bahia grass (basically as much as they'll eat) as I know that one, they love it and from what I've read it's healthy. They get some yellow nutsedge grass too which apparently isn't really a grass but is grasslike...

Ben though doesn't like bahia but he likes this other type I have, not sure what it is and I'm hesitant because it's possible it's st augustine grass which I once read wasn't great nutritionally. I let him have some but not loads.

I think I'm going to get all my grasses ID'd somewhere and then look up the nutritional quality of each and also I want to seed an area of the yard with types that are especially good for bunnies like bermuda grass etc. I think I've already got bermuda but not in large quantities.

Is anyone else careful about the grasses they feed or am I being over the top? Does the nutritional quality matter much if they get plenty of timothy etc hay as well? I figure a variety of grass/hay is ideal but you don't want to feed too much of a nutritionally poor one?

I haven't heard of those grasses. I certainly forage at my local organic farm and pull whatever lovely grass they have there.

We have a variety of different grasses growing in the garden and I feed all of them. As I said on an earlier thread I am struggling to find a reliable online ID guide for the grasses, let alone a nutrional quality guide for them.

I have noticed though that the rabbits, although they will eat all of them, certainly prefer certain species and will eat them first. Whether this preference is due to taste or because they know that certain grasses have a higher calorific value I'm not sure.

My personal view is that the nutritional value of grass is fairly low anyway, so it's probable that the difference in quality between different species is quite small.

Thanks, I've been more relaxed lately feeding different grasses now.

That's a good point about grasses being low in nutrition anyway.

Yeah I'm struggling to find grass ID guides too! Although I have found nutritional info on sites like the ifas uni of florida in regards to horses. Thats where I found how nutrional bahiagrass was. Maybe you guys have extension sites like that to find such info on?

And also it's hard finding what forage is safe for buns for my area. Like when I find that a plant is safe, like spanish needle (a plant I've recently been giving Jack which he LOVES), I still don't know how much or how frequently to give it.

A lot of the info I find seems to come from people who raise rabbits for meat so I'm not sure how careful they'd be or how much they'd know about the long term effects of certain plants if their rabbits don't reach old age, as some effects maybe don't show immediately...like I'm thinking organ damage or something..

Eastern cottontails and marsh rabbits are common here plus in small concentrated areas in the southern part of the state there's also jack rabbits and possibly swamp rabbits - so I know there's plenty of safe rabbit forage here. It's just knowing what/how frequently thats the hard part...

Of course, I can grow safe stuff for them, including all the UK plants(at least during some parts of the year), but I think a wide variety of forage is good for health/enrichment (especially with Jack, it makes his day). So I want to be careful, but not TOO careful.

Back